“Before Our Lives Became So Grotesque The Ghosts Fell Obsolete,” Reviewing Aliens: Sacrifice and Aliens: Salvation - AvP Galaxy Podcast #148

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 25, 2022, 01:53:54 PM

Author
“Before Our Lives Became So Grotesque The Ghosts Fell Obsolete,” Reviewing Aliens: Sacrifice and Aliens: Salvation - AvP Galaxy Podcast #148 (Read 2,298 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 148th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Corporal Hicks, RidgeTop and Xenomorphine are revisiting one of Xenomorphine’s favourite comics, Aliens: Sacrifice, and the comic it is often paired up with, Aliens: Salvation.

Paul Johnson’s Aliens: Sacrifice artwork for the cover of Aliens Magazine Volume 2, Issue 12.

We discuss how both Aliens: Sacrifice and Aliens: Salvation present the idea of crisis of faith, Paul Johnson’s fantastic moody artwork, stylized artwork within Alien comics, moral dilemmas, and plenty more!

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunes, PodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, and Spotify! Please be sure to leave a rating and review on whichever platform you're using!

And if you'd rather see our beautiful faces, as always, the video version of the podcast is also available on the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy YouTube channel!

Make sure your browsers are locked into Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator news! You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. Be sure to join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums as well!

Kradan

Kradan

F.UCK YEAH ! Sacrifice is my favourite one ! That is one hell of a pleasant surprise!

Um, @Corporal Hicks ? You uploaded a wrong one, this is Prometheus anniversary podcast  :- \

Corporal Hicks

Sorry Kradan, I didn't amend the embedded one. All sorted bud.

Kradan

No problem, thank you for the quick response. I'm still sooooo happy you chose to review this one ! Can't wait to give it a proper listen  ;)

BlueMarsalis79

Excellent graphic novels both, looking forward to giving this a listen soon.

Kradan

Kradan

I ADORE artwork in Sacrifice. I might even go as far as to put it in the same league with Dennis Beauvais, Kilian Pkunkett and Tristan Jones.

Irony is I can never remember artist's name

OMG, @Corporal Hicks, you thought of me while picking this one ? My heart is melting right now

Kradan

Kradan

So, I've just finished listening to this one. First of all, thank you guys so much ! These last 4-5 months have been really rough and this podcast provided me with some much needed burst of positive energy. Btw, I don't think you've been THAT negative lately, the only episode where I was a bit put off by that was Prometheus one

I honestly didn't expect how unanimous you guys were in liking Sacrifice ! Even oh so hard to please Xenomorphine didn't have much bad to say about it ! IMO Sacrifice is single most, if not underrated, then definitely overlooked Aliens comic. It's such an organic blending of stunning visuals and great storytelling that I feel totally baffled that nobody seems to talk about it !

I'm so glad Xenomorphine brought up whole "moral dilemma" point which is a foundation on top of which this entire story rests. Hell, I have no idea what I would've done in a situation like that, maybe I would've just commit suicide to not be a part of feeding babies to Alien. That is not to say that I think colonists are 100% monsters, comic does a nice job presenting a situation where even the best of people can fall to doing some horrific shit like this. Comic doesn't preach you, it lets the reader make up their own mind and that's IMO just great

Also really enjoyed religious undertones this one played with. This story is the closest we got to "Alien 3 feel" in comic book form. And Alien being presented as an incarnation of Satan himself also reminds me of Ward's draft which leaned even more into religious themes than Alien 3 we got. I would describe rhis comic's view of atheism as "bleakly optimistic". I mean, it makes sense to me, if there's no God, then there's no Satan, just universe. There's something weirdly calming about that

Overall, a very very enjoyable episode. Good job, @Corporal Hicks, @RidgeTop and @Xenomorphine. Love you guys

P. S. Only read Salvation once. Wasn't overly impressed by it unfortunately

BlueMarsalis79

Bleakly optimistic's also how I would describe Alien³ so I honestly think that comparison's very apt.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 25, 2022, 08:39:06 PMEven oh so hard to please Xenomorphine didn't have much bad to say about it!

Hah-hah! Hicks often has a go at me for being critical of stuff, but I have my favourites, too! This is definitely one of them and it's a beautiful example of how an 'Alien' story can be genuinely thought provoking and not let up on tension-filled dread.

The best stories are those which stay with you and either inspire, haunt or, like this, do both. Even all these years after it was published.

We're glad you enjoyed it! It was a neat one to participate in and led to a really interesting exchange of views between us.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed