Perfect Organism - An Alien: Isolation Companion

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Apr 26, 2022, 01:40:56 PM

Author
Perfect Organism - An Alien: Isolation Companion (Read 8,674 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

'Alien: Isolation' Book 'Perfect Organism' Will Offer a Deep Dive Into the Iconic Horror Game

QuoteIt's Alien Day, so it follows there must be some new Alien-related things getting announced in both an official and unofficial capacity. The day has started well as seasoned games journalist Andy Kelly has announced he's writing an extensive, in-depth, companion book for Creative Assembly's 2014 game Alien: Isolation.

The book, titled 'Perfect Organism', will dig deep into the stories behind how the game was made, why it works as an Alien game, what makes the Xenomorph AI tick, and insightful commentary and trivia on each level of the game. It will also explain the who, why, and where of every character, and chart Amanda Ripley's story in the aftermath of the events of Alien: Isolation.

Pledges for hardback copies and ebooks of Perfect Organism are up now on Unbound to help fund the project, with early birds getting their name added to the supporters' list that will be featured in the finished book. Higher tiers offer various bonuses, including extra chapters and podcasts dedicated to Alien: Isolation.

Alien: Isolation is set between the events of Alien and Aliens, and sees Ellen Ripley's daughter Amanda is enticed into a search for her missing mother aboard the Sevastapol space station. Unfortunately for Amanda, there's no sign of her mother, but a xenomorph is prowling the halls and vents of the station, and she finds herself in a deadly game of cat and mouse with the creature and other unpleasant inhabitants.

I personally believe Alien: Isolation is one of the greatest horror games ever made, and a lot of that is down to just how much detail and attention was paid to the world of Ridley Scott's 1979 classic Alien. I admire its purity, you might say. It's one of those games I'd love to have even more insight into, and, the developers aside, I can think of no one more qualified to tell its story than self-confessed Alien obsessive Andy Kelly.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3712390/alien-isolation-book-perfect-organism/

Corporal Hicks

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

"[...] and chart Amanda Ripley's story in the aftermath of the events of Alien: Isolation." This bit here doesn't exactly excite me. I'd rather see more of the page count dedicated to interviews with the game's devs than what seems to just be a recap of various Dark Horse/Titan stuff that's already out there (and not of any particular personal interest to me).

EDIT: Here's the author:

https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/1518881458227666950

Corporal Hicks

I've been speaking to the author. They'll be stuff from interviews with the developers.

P1NK8C1DBOOTS

Love this game, so very excited for this! Backed and waiting 👍

Corporal Hicks

The author appeared on this podcast to talk about the book.

BlueMarsalis79

Sabres21768

Hopefully we'll get a look at the Alien before they gave it digitigrade legs.
I've always wanted to see that.

BlueMarsalis79

We get a hint of it in the art book but yeah that would be great.

Corporal Hicks

Just got an email notification that the books been funded. :)

HuDaFuK

Beat me to it ;D

luckymerc

Ordered mine a few days ago. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Corporal Hicks

QuoteFinished!
Last night I finally finished writing Perfect Organism.

It took way longer than expected, and it's one of the hardest things I've ever done, but it's been a real treat getting to write this many words about my favourite video game.

Thanks to all the backers who made this project possible in the first place. The manuscript will shortly be sent to Unbound for proofing, and I'll keep you updated re: printing, shipping, etc.

I should be sick to death of Alien: Isolation by now, but reading back through the book has me itching to play through it all over again.

Cheers.

https://unbound.com/books/perfect-organism/updates/finished

HuDaFuK

Beat me to it... again ;D

Can't wait to get my hands on this!

Wweyland

Any maps in the book? Sounds excellent otherwise.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed