Alien - Colony War

Started by felix, Oct 09, 2021, 10:26:43 PM

Author
Alien - Colony War (Read 43,888 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I thought Aliens was better without knowing about Amanda. 

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Awesome news! Very surprised at how connected to previous stories they're going with this one. Can't wait to read it!

Some Old Dude

Some Old Dude

I could do without any kind of connections to Ellen Ripley in my peripheral Alien stories.

That being said....

Chad McClaren sounds like an absolute gangster. If he's Amanda's widower that makes him around 70 so I'm just going to picture him as current day Bruce Campbell.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 11, 2021, 01:12:48 AM
I thought Aliens was better without knowing about Amanda.
I also prefer the TC, but as far as Ripley and her daughter are concerned, the DC is fine to start and end the conversation.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Wweyland on Oct 10, 2021, 08:48:18 PM
Great that we are getting another book and finally exploring McClaren.

You are the problem with fandoms. Yes, you personally.

Quote from: SiL on Oct 10, 2021, 10:32:43 PM
Isolation was good in spite of the family connection, not because of it.

Bingo.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 11, 2021, 07:25:00 AM
Quote from: Wweyland on Oct 10, 2021, 08:48:18 PM
Great that we are getting another book and finally exploring McClaren.

You are the problem with fandoms. Yes, you personally.

That's bit harsh

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Anyone who wants a detailed adventure involving the throwaway married name of Ripley's (at the time) irrelevant daughter (who is frankly still entirely forgettable) from the DC of Aliens is exactly what's wrong with Fans.

Kradan

Kradan

Eh, not that I would personally want that but I can't see anything wrong if somebody wants to know Amanda Ripley's husband backstory. There's place in EU for stories about members of Ripley's family. But there's also place for stories about completely new unrelated characters. And it's not like we don't have latter

SiL

SiL

Why does everyone need a back story? Why does everyone vaguely related need to be personally involved in everything?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 11, 2021, 08:25:22 AM
There's place in EU for stories about members of Ripley's family.

Bruh. As has been said, Isolation only got away with featuring Amanda because it was legitimately good, and could have easily not had her at all.

McLaren is some guy she's implied to have married off screen in a deleted scene set after her death. He doesn't need to go and fight Aliens too, at all, ever.

If we want to be masturbatory with our favourite franchise, give me more Herk Mondo.

SiL

SiL

Up next, Ripley's estranged husband goes looking for both Ellen AND Amanda.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Oct 11, 2021, 08:51:44 AM
Up next, Ripley's estranged husband goes looking for both Ellen AND Amanda.

Is she a confirmed divorcee? Maybe he's just a sperm donor but fate insists he ends up on an infested mining outpost, conveniently dying as a pyrrhic hero so he can't interfere with Rips shipping off on the Nostromo a year later.

Or better yet, his adventure is the reason for special order 937.

Some Old Dude

Some Old Dude

I want to know what Lydecker's nephew does about all this.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Oct 11, 2021, 08:31:53 AM
Why does everyone need a back story? Why does everyone vaguely related need to be personally involved in everything?

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 11, 2021, 08:38:39 AM
McLaren is some guy she's implied to have married off screen in a deleted scene set after her death. He doesn't need to go and fight Aliens too, at all, ever.

I didn't say he needs to have a backstory or he needs to go fight Aliens. But if some fans want to see that - let 'em have it. No need calling them part of the problem

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 11, 2021, 08:38:39 AM
If we want to be masturbatory with our favourite franchise, give me more Herk Mondo.

I'm not sure what "to be masturbatory with our favourite franchise" means exactly but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more of good old Herk Mondo

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I thought Alien Isolation in a meta way, gave me the closure to Ellen Ripley that I wanted, and Amanda also wanted.

Part of me wanted to see Sigourney Weaver in the role one more time in a meaningful way and I got more than I could ever have hoped for through that story.

I thought that the point narratively and thematically, seeing the fictional places and people, we are so very familiar with one last time before saying goodbye.

I would be lying to say otherwise even, if on the whole I agree, and said myself that this lineage exploring shit needed to stop back in 2014.

Oh and Cold Forge and Into Charybdis did tell me something new about the Alien's nature, and added a whole new facet to them, that I thought I'd hate but in this one instance I loved.

Oh and Plagarius Praepotens.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed