Alien - Colony War

Started by felix, Oct 09, 2021, 10:26:43 PM

Author
Alien - Colony War (Read 43,900 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I think this is simply the law of diminishing returns.  If you have been around like I have, then the Alien killing people is old hat by now.

The character, world building dynamic is the more interesting dynamic at this point. 

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: SiL on Oct 10, 2021, 12:02:03 PM
Can everyone please stop being f**king related at some point Jesus Christ.
First thing I thought, too. Do we have to have McClaren now? The number of alien encounters within one familial line is getting kinda ridiculous.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Eh, it kind of makes sense. 

If a family member got lost hiking in the rockies, you'd probably go back to the rockies to look for them.

If an Alien snatched away your family member and then had it covered up by governments and corporate entities, you might look there.

To me it is not unlikely, it is just WHY does Alienverse writers get caught up with certain aspects of the storyline.

Jockeyship, Acheron, Ripley bloodline, Colonial Marines and WY.  The galaxy is a big place, and should have more aspects to it than just those things. 

Kradan

Kradan

That was one of the best things Isolation introduced - the fact that there're some other major players other than WY in space

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

All books on a certain subject will be similar in regards moreso in my experience than other mediums.

And yes I'm okay with people looking for people they are related to that have disappeared.

I'm not okay with them finding anything worth a damn.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Alien Isolation must've been a disappointment for you.

SiL

SiL

People going looking is fine.

People going looking and due to a series of convolutions finding the Alien that wasn't really meant to be everywhere, eh.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Oct 10, 2021, 12:02:03 PM
Can everyone please stop being f**king related at some point Jesus Christ.

I KNOW RIGHT

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Oct 10, 2021, 02:03:20 PM
I stopped reading Aliens spin-off novels in the '90s because they were not good. I got lured back in when Titan started doing them (I think it was the headline switch from Aliens to Alien that seduced me), but swore off them again after 'Puddle of Annoyance' or whatever it was (:P). Now I've had a third kick at the football by checking 'The Cold Forge' out of the library (as opposed to buying it, like I did the others), because I read here that it was really good. To be honest, I can't wait to be done with it.

The problem with these novels is they're all the same story - people go someplace, find aliens, get killed by them, and status quo is restored. Nothing meaningful ever happens. At least with a comic book you get to look at art. With a video game you get to get involved. But with so many wonderful books out there, why would I want to read the same story again and again?

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade. /rantover

Pretty much my take, too. I like to keep abreast of what generally has gone on with EU, but I find reading the novels to be like pulling teeth - even the "great" ones.

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 09, 2021, 11:56:30 PM
Cher and Chad? 🤣

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 10, 2021, 10:35:32 AM
Not keen on that title. That just sounds so teenage fanfic imho.

It's unfortunate.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Great that we are getting another book and finally exploring McClaren.
Wasn't the next AvP book titled Annihilation though?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

What really is there to explore with Amanda's husband, though?

Amanda herself should never even have been touched, honestly. That Isolation is as good as it wound up being is a fluke (and more so anchored on the gameplay, art direction, and Alien AI than it is on Amanda or strict narrative), and the endless attempts since to drag her back into the story have been pretty bad.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 10, 2021, 09:04:04 PM
What really is there to explore with Amanda's husband, though?

Amanda herself should never even have been touched, honestly. That Isolation is as good as it wound up being is a fluke (and more so anchored on the gameplay, art direction, and Alien AI than it is on Amanda or strict narrative), and the endless attempts since to drag her back into the story have been pretty bad.

Completely agree! She was perfect for that story and that story alone. Although I'd love a follow up to the end of isolation. But to continue it is a bit much for me.

SiL

SiL

Isolation was good in spite of the family connection, not because of it. The same gameplay with an unrelated story would've been just as good.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I think it added, but it's a miracle it did, it felt like closure for us and Amanda.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 10, 2021, 04:18:35 PMBut  generally a series about 8' tall killing machines killing people is going to feature its expanded universe doing the same thing.

Oh certainly, no question. It's just that the books don't (and can't really) expand things with new, big ideas the way the films did. Like in Aliens, we learned how the creatures worked in their 'society' and that they had a queen. In Alien3, we learned that the creature takes on aspects of its host. In Alien Resurrection, we learned that there should really only have been three movies.  :P

I can dig what people are saying about the world-building, that can be cool. It's just a shame that we have to read these narrative retreads to get it. Thank god for the roleplaying game. :)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 11, 2021, 12:04:12 AM
I think it added, but it's a miracle it did, it felt like closure for us and Amanda.
I got closure a few decades back with the DC of Aliens.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed