Marvel's Predator (Volume 1) - Predator: Day of the Hunter

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Mar 18, 2021, 06:30:03 PM

Author
Marvel's Predator (Volume 1) - Predator: Day of the Hunter (Read 68,623 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 18, 2021, 07:33:07 PM
So this cover is awesome but is its basis a toy? It definitely has a Hot Toys kind of feel, but better, more dynamic, no seams. Or is just photorealistic art, which I've been surprised by in more than one occasion?

I love the cover concept but I do feel like that one is "too good". God, I hate how we're now defaulted to "where did that come from?" when it comes to these things!

I'm really intrigued by the future settings. It's not something we get too much of Predator-wise. Only really think of AvP itself, Forever Midnight (vomit), Flesh and Blood (yay) and one or two shorts in If It Bleeds (also yay) so be interesting to see it in it's own Predator comic. Adam and I talked about it on our Motion Tracker, but also curious to see if they follow Alien's aesthetic nature for the spaceships.

I'm not familiar with the creatives behind this yet, but I need to have a look at Kev's art and have a gander at some reviews of Ed's previous work.

Voodoo Magic

While I prefer the Predator in past and present day stories, I find future tales can be good too. "Devil Dogs" in the If It Bleeds Anthology comes to mind.

There's definitely an opportunity to show us more of that Predator 2 interior ship aesthetic that so many adore. And a chance to see more of the Predator homeworld could be fun. (Maintaining that sense of mystery isn't a necessity in comics like it is in film.) I wonder if they're grooming Theta to eventually become Marvel's version of Machiko? We shall see.

It's interesting that Marvel's "present day" features intergalactic space travel, so it won't be hard for them to execute on that inevitable Alien & Predator crossover event, as long as they're loosey-goosey with the Xeno's origin date. I suspect a Marvel vs Zombies type of event is already in the works with A & P.

While more challenging to a writer, I still do believe a comic can focus solely on a lone Predator as its main character, so I still hold out hope for that one day.

And this tagline "HUNT. KILL. REPEAT." I think I can dig it. It certainly sums up the Predator, or any sports hunter for that matter.

Xiggz456

List of Pred stories that take place in the future:

Xenogenesis
Concrete Jungle
Forever Midnight
Flesh and Blood
Devil Dogs
Last Report From the KSS Psychopomp
Indigenous Species
Gameworld

We also have 2 near future stories with Hunting Grounds (2025) and Drug War (2022).

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Mar 19, 2021, 01:38:09 PM

Xenogenesis
Concrete Jungle
Forever Midnight
Flesh and Blood
Devil Dogs
Indigenous Species
Gameworld

We also have 2 near future stories with Hunting Grounds (2025) and Drug War (2022).

Predator Incursion too. (Even though the whole trilogy sums up to be AvP.)

And Xenogenesis I'd like to forget.  :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

That one had completely dropped from my mind. Shame, because I love Edginton.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I like the look of this even though it's clearly also tracing an action figure sadly.

SM

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Mar 19, 2021, 01:38:09 PM

Xenogenesis
Concrete Jungle
Forever Midnight
Flesh and Blood
Devil Dogs
Indigenous Species
Gameworld

No love for Predator 2?

Voodoo Magic

I don't think he was counting the films, but if we do, rumor has it we can include Predators as well. It's an idea I personally like too.  :)

Xiggz456

I should've said "List of Pred stories that still take place in the future"  ;D

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Mar 21, 2021, 11:03:27 PM
I should've said "List of Pred stories that still take place in the future"  ;D

That takes Concrete Jungle off your list then!

Xiggz456

Nope that takes place in 2030!

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Mar 21, 2021, 11:41:59 PM
Nope that takes place in 2030!

Ah, the video game. Thought you meant the comic... :)

AnthaiHero

FYI the Philip Tan original art cover is available for $3k.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

FYI

In May there will be 10 Marvel titles with Predator variant covers.

Wolverine 12,X-MEN 20,Amazing Spidey 65 & 66,Black Cat 6, Miles Morales Spiderman 26,Guardians of the Galaxy 14, Immortal Hulk 46, Strange Academy 10 and Champions 7. There are no pictures of the covers in the March Marvel Previews only lists the artist doing the cover.

Wysps

These covers are great, especially the one with its menacing red eyes - gives off a demonic and unhinged vibe.   

I've never been a fan of setting Predator in the future, but I can see why they'd want to get on that early considering there's AvP also in the background. 

Quote from: Kailem on Mar 19, 2021, 07:34:22 AM
Love that second cover, and the night vision one looks cool too! Sounds like they've got a solid team on this one. Bit surprised to hear it's set in the future, but that's clearly going to be Marvel's way of introducing AVP at some point and having it tie in with (or spin out of) their ongoing Aliens and Predator series.

I wasn't entirely sure we'd be seeing Marvel's first Predator series so soon, even with all the variant promotion they've been doing, so it'll be interesting to see how this goes!

Makes me wonder if the eventual AvP will feature the same characters from the independent Alien and Predator comics (like a crossover event between the two) or an actual different set of characters for an ongoing AvP series.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed