Tech Noir: The Art of James Cameron

Started by felix, Mar 09, 2021, 10:33:13 PM

Author
Tech Noir: The Art of James Cameron (Read 5,773 times)

felix

felix

Just found this. Coming Oct 26th.
https://www.amazon.com/Tech-Noir-Art-James-Cameron/dp/1683838785/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=insight+editions&qid=1615329048&s=books&sr=1-8

Explore the creative evolution of James Cameron through this exclusive journey into his personal art archives, showcasing a range of rare and never-before-seen works from the acclaimed director's private collection.

James Cameron has blazed a trail through the cinematic landscape with a series of groundbreaking films that have each become deeply embedded in the popular imagination. But while Cameron has created and employed advanced filmmaking technologies to realize his unique vision, his process of creative ideation began with pen, pencil and paints long before he picked up a camera.

"Inspired by his mother, an artist, Cameron displayed remarkable ability at an early age, filling sketchbooks with illustrations of alien creatures, faraway worlds, and technological wonders. As he grew older, his art became increasingly sophisticated, exploring major themes that would imbue his later work—from the threat of nuclear catastrophe to the dangers inherent in the development of artificial intelligence, to a fascination with ecology that would foreshadow his storied career in science and exploration. Working in the film industry in his early twenties, Cameron supported himself by illustrating theatrical posters and concept art for low-budget films before creating the visionary concept pieces that would help greenlight his first major feature, The Terminator.

For the first time, Tech Noir brings together a dazzling and diverse array of personal and commercial art from Cameron's own collection, showing the trajectory of ideas which led to such modern classics as The Terminator, Aliens, Titanic and Avatar. Starting with his earliest sketches through to unrealized projects and to his later work, the book features the filmmaker's personal commentary on his creative and artistic evolution throughout the years."

Nightmare Asylum

Welp. That was an immediate pre-order.

StrangeShape

Great cover too bad its such a long wait

BlueMarsalis79

Great choice of title.

Nightmare Asylum

Not home yet, so I haven't been able to start flipping through this yet, but...

Cannot wait to dig in. 8)

Voodoo Magic

Kradan

Oh shit, I haven't even thought of that ! I mistook "tech-noir" for "cyberpunk"

StrangeShape

Already finished it. Blown away by it. Here's my brief review and some pages

https://jamescamerononline.blogspot.com/2021/12/tech-noir-art-of-james-cameron-review.html

Corporal Hicks

Is there enough in there to recommend it to someone who's only really interested in the Aliens content?

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 20, 2021, 11:21:03 AM
Is there enough in there to recommend it to someone who's only really interested in the Aliens content?

Hmmm, depends. Its a huuuuuge book with loads of artwork, As far as Aliens, theres stuff unseen before. There are rough sketches of derelict, more sketches of the Queen (those can be seen in my review), Camerons dropship designs, his Atmosphere Processor. Theres good quality stuff we have seen before like the colony wall, there are apc designs, weapon designs, marine designs and more, and every single sketch has a commentary. Id say as far as percentage of the book, there isnt that much Aliens, maybe 10%, but the book really is large and loaded and there is significant amount of Aliens stuff there by itself. From stuff we know to stuff we havent seen, lv426 designs, apc, uniforms weapons dropship the queen the hive the powerloader- and each and every one of them is explained by Cameron

EDIT I counted the pages. Theres 52 pages on Aliens so quite a lot

Corporal Hicks

Sounds good! Thanks!

Corporal Hicks

I ordered myself a copy. Really looking forward to checking this out now.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 04, 2022, 10:13:48 AM
I ordered myself a copy. Really looking forward to checking this out now.

Itll be great. Over 50 pages for Aliens and most of this stuff was either never seen before or wasnt seen in such good resolution

TC

TC

Anyone else waiting for blu-rays or 4Ks of The Abyss?

https://www.space.com/james-cameron-tech-noir-book-exclusive

Some Old Dude

Every damn day. Hopefully by the end of the year.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed