Fan Reviews

Started by ikarop, Feb 07, 2013, 03:27:34 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 218,806 times)

RidgeTop

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 06, 2013, 02:24:16 PM
This was probably the hardest article I've had to write for Strange Shapes. To quote Stephen King, typing it up was like "shoveling shit from a sitting position." I was so fatigued by reading through old Gearbox interviews (which were, in light of the game, full of blatant lies and false promises) that I couldn't bear to proofread this, so apologies in advance.

http://alienseries.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/aliens-colonial-marines/

Damn fine work.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SM on Mar 07, 2013, 02:04:18 AM
This was probably the hardest article I've had to write for Strange Shapes. To quote Stephen King, typing it up was like "shoveling shit from a sitting position." I was so fatigued by reading through old Gearbox interviews (which were, in light of the game, full of blatant lies and false promises) that I couldn't bear to proofread this, so apologies in advance.

The only possible typo I saw was hear - "(you can probably expect to be asked to play for DLC to explain the whole debacle)".

I think you mean "pay for DLC"?

Otherwise, an excellent summation.  I'm glad someone did it and that it wasn't me.

The honchos at Gearbox look unbelievably foolish.
Oops, thank you  :) I also credited you for those mistakes in the Sulaco hanger.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

I only judge the game by its story. Since Im not a gamer and never was, for me any modern game looks and seems cool as far as graphics and game play, considering the last game I played was Super Mario and first Doom

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Excellent work by Hicks and Valaquen both. God, the pain. :( >:(

Val, I can't even hardly watch any of the pre-release videos. Just the sound of Pitchford's voice has now been inseparably linked to a list of very negative emotions. That must have been rough.

SM

SM

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 07, 2013, 12:44:26 PM
Quote from: SM on Mar 07, 2013, 02:04:18 AM

The only possible typo I saw was hear - "(you can probably expect to be asked to play for DLC to explain the whole debacle)".

I think you mean "pay for DLC"?

Otherwise, an excellent summation.  I'm glad someone did it and that it wasn't me.

The honchos at Gearbox look unbelievably foolish.
Oops, thank you  :) I also credited you for those mistakes in the Sulaco hanger.

Yeah I saw that.  Cheers.

The piece is getting a lot of love over at the GBX forums.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SM on Mar 07, 2013, 10:37:31 PM

But I pissed off one dude who commented on the blog:

QuoteAlright, well the game was flawed, I will give you that. But, I feel that what I am largely seeing though is that it is considered taboo and unpopular to like this game. I work at a specialty store that focuses on video games and absolutely everybody to whom I have sold this game to has come back with a smile on their face. I know how badly we all wanted this game to succeed and I share in the feeling of betrayal that it failed to live up to expectations. But I was personally a fan of this title.
I feel that in regards to the cancerous placenta issue, I feel I should point out that Ripley was augmented with Alien DNA in Resurrection. It had no effect on her because it was part of her genome. And in Alien 3, she was simply oblivious to the fact. I am not going to launch into a tirade to argue every little point with you. But even Alien 3 was peppered with inconsistencies.

A.) The crytube design was completiely redone.
B.) The name "Sulaco" was redone in White and relocated to a new position.
C.) Newt magically went from 8 to being an adolescent.
D.) There's a magical egg in the cryo-chamber that was conceived by a drunk script of a mother and a simpleton production team for a father.

All of this stuff is old news. My point is, all I see is a bunch of people spewing out well thought out and well worded nit-picks. "The doors weren't shaped right" and "The sign got moved." I understand that the game is far from perfect. However, I also feel that it was a heart felt love note to those that felt cheated by the third movie.

Allow me to address Hicks' presence in the game for a moment. He was returned to us. Frankly, that's all that matters to me. Piss and moan all you want about the nature of the circumstances, but it's already better than the garbage we were handed in the third movie.

Do I feel that the Wey-Yu presence could have been handled more subtly? Of course I do. Do I wish Winter had more zingers and one liners? Don't really care either way, maybe he's just not that kind of guy. Did I enjoy the script? You know, I thought it was fun and entertaining. I had things that really annoyed me (i.e. APC/Jordan Family Truck, mispronunciation of Sulaco by absolutely everybody, wrong powered door sound fx, etc.) but I understand that these are little things that get missed in these situations.
My ultimate point is that I feel like this entire article lacked any objectivity at all what-so-ever and simply focused on driving the afore mentioned party's hurt feelings home to the point of making anyone who sits on the other side of the fence feel stupid for liking it (i.e. fan made diagrams of Hadley's Hope and the never ending onslaught of concept art). I for one found this game to be frustrating and certainly lacking in certain areas. However, I also found it to be a more than decent tie-in for the second and third film that knitted them together nicely. While I'm sure that some of the elitists around here are looking down their nose and scoffing at what I have to say, I am proud to say that I will not be jumping on the Anti-A:CM band wagon. I will concede the few points that I agree on but I am glad to say that this game has been Canonised and none of this can take that away from me.

To quote a great line from another wonderful sci-fi epic, "As we say on Earth, se la vi."
http://alienseries.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/aliens-colonial-marines/#comment-891

Butt... hurt...

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

I luled.
Great Review Valaquen, I wish to know what happened in this space station and futuristic colony.
The concept art were so promising back in the day, I don't know why they tried to focus on LV-426.
Derelict is okay but Sulaco and Hadley's Hope were obviously to be erased.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

At least your angry comments are so adequately written and full of temperance, Val. :laugh: I really feel for the guy, though I don't understand how you can appreciate Hicks' return on the back of this embarrassing non-story.

I haven't even entered that part of my brain where I'm seriously contemplating Hicks being alive, because the game shoved it in my face in such a blatantly idiotic way that the plot isn't even a plot.

It doesn't have any of the qualifications of a real plot, no research, no attempt to make any sense or fit in in the universe in any way, and barely any cohesion with its own mess of rushed and impossible events. I mean it's sub-AvP level for how little sense it makes and how hard it charges forward narratively, fueled by this absolutely contrived nonsense.

Why would you respect a story like that, when there are so many writers who work their ass off and bend over backwards to make their stories plausible, coherent, etc...

No thanks dude, it's okay to like the game.. but be honest. Bad is bad is bad is bad is bad, even though I love the mp. The story is the definition of how you insult fans. It's textbook.

Suspension of disbelief doesn't even begin to cover it. A:CM wants us to practice "suspension of intelligence" in order to enjoy this.

TorsoInvader

TorsoInvader

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 08, 2013, 12:37:50 PM

QuoteAlright, well the game was flawed, I will give you that. But, I feel that what I am largely seeing though is that it is considered taboo and unpopular to like this game. I work at a specialty store that focuses on video games and absolutely everybody to whom I have sold this game to has come back with a smile on their face. I know how badly we all wanted this game to succeed and I share in the feeling of betrayal that it failed to live up to expectations. But I was personally a fan of this title.
I feel that in regards to the cancerous placenta issue, I feel I should point out that Ripley was augmented with Alien DNA in Resurrection. It had no effect on her because it was part of her genome. And in Alien 3, she was simply oblivious to the fact. I am not going to launch into a tirade to argue every little point with you. But even Alien 3 was peppered with inconsistencies.

D.) There's a magical egg in the cryo-chamber that was conceived by a drunk script of a mother and a simpleton production team for a father.

All of this stuff is old news. My point is, all I see is a bunch of people spewing out well thought out and well worded nit-picks. "The doors weren't shaped right" and "The sign got moved." I understand that the game is far from perfect. However, I also feel that it was a heart felt love note to those that felt cheated by the third movie.

Allow me to address Hicks' presence in the game for a moment. He was returned to us. Frankly, that's all that matters to me. Piss and moan all you want about the nature of the circumstances, but it's already better than the garbage we were handed in the third movie.

Do I feel that the Wey-Yu presence could have been handled more subtly? Of course I do. Do I wish Winter had more zingers and one liners? Don't really care either way, maybe he's just not that kind of guy. Did I enjoy the script? You know, I thought it was fun and entertaining. I had things that really annoyed me (i.e. APC/Jordan Family Truck, mispronunciation of Sulaco by absolutely everybody, wrong powered door sound fx, etc.) but I understand that these are little things that get missed in these situations.
My ultimate point is that I feel like this entire article lacked any objectivity at all what-so-ever and simply focused on driving the afore mentioned party's hurt feelings home to the point of making anyone who sits on the other side of the fence feel stupid for liking it (i.e. fan made diagrams of Hadley's Hope and the never ending onslaught of concept art). I for one found this game to be frustrating and certainly lacking in certain areas. However, I also found it to be a more than decent tie-in for the second and third film that knitted them together nicely. While I'm sure that some of the elitists around here are looking down their nose and scoffing at what I have to say, I am proud to say that I will not be jumping on the Anti-A:CM band wagon. I will concede the few points that I agree on but I am glad to say that this game has been Canonised and none of this can take that away from me.

To quote a great line from another wonderful sci-fi epic, "As we say on Earth, se la vi."
http://alienseries.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/aliens-colonial-marines/#comment-891

Butt... hurt...

Ah i read this the other day and it was very well done.(good blog BTW Valaquen)

People don't seem to realize that GBX kept shoving it in our faces how big an they were of the series and yet they made so many mistakes,so we have a right to be nitpicky.It seems people keep missing the point as to why we are pissed about hicks<I like many other people here don't have a problem with him being alive its just how it was was/was not explained at all.

I agree that concept art is pretty epic and would have been alot better then trying to shoehorn Hadley's hope in dispite a little thing like a 40 megaton explosion going off.

SM

SM

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 08, 2013, 12:37:50 PM

Butt... hurt...

He copy and pasted onto the GBX forums as his first and only post.  A sore bottom does indeed to sum it up.

predxeno

predxeno

Personally, I don't think the game is as bad as some fans say it is.  I mean, obviously it could have been better, nobody's debating that; the horrible AI is one thing that screwed the game, but I really enjoyed the ability to customize your own weapons.  Also, this is perhaps the only game whose multiplayer I don't suck at; I keep getting killed by CoD and Halo gamers.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Advantages of being deployed I guess?

I didn't get to hear all the blatant false promises pre-release because I haven't been home since before September of last year, had pre-mob training before that, and was fresh out of BCT and AIT about two months before that.  In the time spent before that I was doing all my last minute shit and was busy.

So I had NO IDEA about all what was promised and what wasn't and couldn't get my expectations up one way or the other.  And haven't really with anything Alien or Predator related in a very long time.  Since before the first AvP movie.  I know you shouldn't have to temper your expectations with anything associated with your favorit franchise, but I do anyways.

I just had the fam send this game to me in Africa last week and just got around to playing it a couple of nights ago.  So far, it does play like a beta release, but I don't really think it has been as godawful as everybody has said it was. 

That being said, releasing a game with terrible hit detection (can't always shoot through open doors), an alternate fire that spams itself non stop (my most often death is nade spamming a wall with an alternate weapon fire I did not use), and dirt stupid AI is pretty inexcusable.  That should've been worked out.

The game lacks intensity, nothing about it is scary, and it seems to favor itself as a Call of Aliens type of game.........but something about it has kept me coming back for more so far.  Maybe the environs, seeing how combat in the Aliens universe would work between ships? Easter eggs and moving around in places only seen in the movies?

I don't know.  Pretty early in the campaign, but right now its good enough that I intend to finish it. 

No mp until I get back to my other duty station.  Internet here is garbage.  And I hear MP is where this game makes its money.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I'm glad you got to play it, Kimarhi. You pretty much nailed it, and if you're not that put off by the SP, the multiplayer should make you happy. It's obviously a bit more difficult, but then again the campaign doesn't exactly prepare you to deal with very agile or smart Aliens, lol.

Bug Hunt is a pretty good time too, if you can get over the waves of WY soldiers thrown in every once in awhile.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed