Shane Black Hints At Possible Detective Story for The Predator

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 19, 2016, 08:06:23 PM

Author
Shane Black Hints At Possible Detective Story for The Predator (Read 23,799 times)

Corporal Hicks

Shane Black hints at possible detective story for The Predator. Speaking to Movies.com, Shane Black teased a possible direction for The Predator. Shane Black is a man that is known for his work in the “buddy-cop” genre, films that are often focused around some sort of mystery that his characters have to solve. Talking to Movies.com about his fondness for detective stories, Shane Black told them:

“I could make detective stories for the rest of my life. In fact, even if I’m doing a story about an eight-and-a-half-foot tall monster called the Predator, there’s going to be a detective story probably somewhere inside it.”

Shane Black hints at possible detective story for The Predator.

Shane Black hints at possible detective story for The Predator.

Whilst not speaking with certainty, it’s a possible indication of the direction that Shane Black will be taking The Predator. It could be said that Predator 2 was somewhat of a detective movie, focusing on police officer Harrigan (playing by Danny Glover who also starred in Lethal Weapon, a buddy cop movie that helped put Shane Black’s name out there) trying to figure out who the new player was in the drug war that was ravaging Los Angles. Thanks to Darkoo for the news!

In related news, Empire hosted an early showing of The Nice Guys with a Q&A with Shane Black and Joel Silver after where Shane Black revealed the name of the main character in The Predator: "The hero of the film, the name I've given the guy, is Quinn McKenna." Alien vs. Predator Galaxy member HuDaFuK was in attendance at the Q&A and he shared that Shane Black had also implied that the film would have a considerably longer runtime than the typical 90 minutes.

Update 31/05/2016: Talking to Den of Geek, Shane Black spoke a little more about the style of The Predator and how effective the genre shift in Predator was, hinting at a possible tonal shift in The Predator:

“I think the tone shifting is important. This one is going to be very scary if I get it right, and hopefully also there’ll be some humour in it. The first one  had humour in it, so you really got engaged with this group of guys […] We’ll cast very carefully. We’ll get a group of people against the monster that I think you’re gonna enjoy spending time with.

The sensibility will be part noir, part mystery and part Close Encounters. The feeling I loved about Close Encounters was, you had this ordinary guy, Roy Neary, to whom this is all new. I think the danger of a Predator sequel is that it’s not new to anybody anymore. ‘Oh, look honey – another Predator. Yeah, we had one of those last year. Gagh, is he in the barn again? Oh God, he’s had the sheep.’ You know? That’s the danger. That it’s too familiar – we have to find a way to make him mysterious again.”

Xenomrph

This is interesting news, but if this is what Shane Black is doing with his movie, I hope it takes steps to differentiate itself from Predator2.

RakaiThwei

Let's see where this goes... Let's see what's gonna be referenced... Let's see who Quinn McKenna is going to be portrayed by.

Still maintaining my distance. Once burned, twice shy... Nothing bad to say though!

overthere

He was probably joking, but either way, a detective or someone who leads an investigation is not out of context here. Someone has to make some sense out of what's happening.

Infected

I told you we are gonna get Columbo and Jessica Fletcher.

whiterabbit

Lethal Weapon with a Predator, f**king A.

T Dog

I'm personally hoping for a Predator wearing a 40's style hat and raincoat.  :D :D :D :D :D :D

RakaiThwei

I was hoping for something along the lines of First Blood but with Predator but... I guess this is okay. Assuming this does hold up.

PRJ_since1990

This is interesting news! Could be a re imagined Predator 2. Does anyone know Shane's views on Predator 2? Even if it's not, I would surmise even Predator had a mystery to solve. But the question then is do our characters need to discover the mystery of the Predator itself or do they know about it and the detective narrative comes from something else entirely...

FiorinaFury161

Seems like a riddle to me... ??? :P

Keith

Predator 2 was way ahead of its time.

CainsSon

Im picturing a Film Noir-ish Predator film. Could be cool.

System Apollo

System Apollo

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 19, 2016, 08:09:11 PM
This is interesting news, but if this is what Shane Black is doing with his movie, I hope it takes steps to differentiate itself from Predator2.
There are not many steps it could take to differentiate itself from Predator 2.  :-\
This is barely alarming because the context Shane says it in sounds of no certainty. It also sounds like he will not give it much profundity within the general plot.

Quote"I make detective stories for the rest of my life. In fact, even if I'm doing a story about an eight-and-a-half-foot tall monster called the Predator, there's going to be a detective story probably somewhere inside it."

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, no-one is saying its a definitive but considering The Predator is written I think Black knows where he's taken Predator too. Or he could just being a tease. If it does end up being the case, I wonder if the spinning off from Predator involves something akin to Concrete Jungle where McKenna is trying to find out more about the big smoking crater in the middle of South America.

HuDaFuK

I have absolutely no problem with this, given how many excellent detective stories Black has written/made.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed