Arnold talks about The Predator

Started by The Wolverine Predator, Apr 05, 2017, 09:50:01 PM

Author
Arnold talks about The Predator (Read 70,590 times)

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: SiL on Apr 20, 2017, 09:59:36 PM
I think Arnie's heard 'It'll totally lead to a major role!' enough in his life.

I just go by what I read, man. And it's not '87 anymore.

SiL

SiL

I know what you mean. But while the movie doesn't owe Arnie shit, he doesn't owe the movie shit either. I don't think it's as remarkable as several pages of conversation would have us all believe :p

SpeedyMaxx

I think we'll agree to disagree on what he owes, or at least what he could use. A starring role in a future Shane Black movie couldn't hurt him IMO. But Arnold is gonna be Arnold and I love him regardless.

OWLF

OWLF

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 20, 2017, 09:44:53 PM
They're not just trying to reach the hardcore fanbase, though. This is for a larger audience.

I adore Arnold but he can't carry a major studio picture by himself anymore. This movie aims to establish a new setup with new ideas for the franchise and offered Arnold a major future role.

Larger audience? The whole Predator franchise has a really large fanbase as it is, if you don´t believe go to any comic convention and you´ll see what I mean. Predator and Alien have one of the largest fanbases around, and if you start messing around and changing things too much, the fans are gonna get pissed. Look at what happened with Prometheus, no Aliens, everybody was dissapointed, and look now, like Ridley said, "They want Aliens, I´ll give them f#cking Aliens". He was talking about Covenant. They don´t need a larger audience that haven´t heard or seen a Predator movie, they need to cater to the large audience they already have. And that´s what they don´t get.

Arnold carried Terminator Genisys and it did pretty well considering how the movie turned out. Boyd Holbrook is still just an up and coming star and has never carried a large movie of this caliber. They virtually have no big names in this movie. None. Zero. Nada. How do you want to sell an event movie like Predator if you don´t even have a known movie star in it??

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: OWLF on Apr 20, 2017, 10:25:34 PM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 20, 2017, 09:44:53 PM
They're not just trying to reach the hardcore fanbase, though. This is for a larger audience.

I adore Arnold but he can't carry a major studio picture by himself anymore. This movie aims to establish a new setup with new ideas for the franchise and offered Arnold a major future role.

Larger audience? The whole Predator franchise has a really large fanbase as it is, if you don´t believe go to any comic convention and you´ll see what I mean.

I've been, but that's not the larger audience they are hoping to get. Those are fans who are bought and paid for. That is a fraction of the market. I think you're wrong that all that's needed is fan service, but you're entitled to your opinion.

QuoteArnold carried Terminator Genisys and it did pretty well considering how the movie turned out.

It was a huge flop and buried the franchise, possibly for good. I love Arnold and that's not his fault, but Arnold did not save it.

QuoteBoyd Holbrook is still just an up and coming star and has never carried a large movie of this caliber. They virtually have no big names in this movie. None. Zero. Nada. How do you want to sell an event movie like Predator if you don´t even have a known movie star in it??

With the Predator.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 20, 2017, 10:06:19 PM
I think we'll agree to disagree on what he owes, or at least what he could use. A starring role in a future Shane Black movie couldn't hurt him IMO. But Arnold is gonna be Arnold and I love him regardless.

Shane has cited Prometheus as an inspiration to how he would treat Predator, in terms of the serious event thing. I think he thought Arnold's appearance in this would be analogous to the deacon in Prometheus.

SpeedyMaxx

Except way less stupid.

BishopShouldGo

You think there's a chance of Shane getting Arnold for The Predator's sequel, provided it does well? I hope so.

SpeedyMaxx

I think using Dutch in a major role was definitely the intention for a sequel based on the draft I read.

OWLF

OWLF

You always seem to know better than everybody else, don´t you Speedy?? You´re the typical mister know-it-all that always has to be right, no matter what. TBH, I don´t have time for these games and sincerely it´s a total waste of my time trying to argue with you. Tell you what, let´s talk again when this movie comes out and see how successful it was, ok??

The Wolverine Predator

Quote from: Predator_Spirit on Apr 20, 2017, 09:45:15 PM
Quote from: OWLF on Apr 20, 2017, 09:38:43 PM
Considering he´s the main star in the original Predator movie and it´s one of his most iconic roles, and also that he still is a relatively known movie star Obviously the producers and the writers of this movie are totally out of touch with the fanbase or just straight up ignore them. Either way, it´s their loss in the end.
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif
Do you have a twitter account? Because the fan base is always saying they want Arnold back as Dutch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: OWLF on Apr 20, 2017, 10:43:18 PM
You always seem to know better than everybody else, don´t you Speedy?? You´re the typical mister know-it-all that always has to be right, no matter what. TBH, I don´t have time for these games and sincerely it´s a total waste of my time trying to argue with you. Tell you what, let´s talk again when this movie comes out and see how successful it was, ok??

All I said was I disagree about the audience they're going for and need, man. No big deal.

SiL

SiL

I think we'll agree to disagree on what he owes,
I never did get a response on what you thought he owed the franchise :P

He was big from Terminator and Conan. Commando came out in '85 and did well, The Running Man was a critical "eh" but did alright in '86. Predator was another high, but it didn't make or save his career. It was just another good film under his belt.

He "owes" the Terminator franchise for sure. He even "owes" Conan (and he'd readily admit it, as it was his first major role). But Predator wasn't really a career-defining or career-making point for him.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: SiL on Apr 21, 2017, 02:47:22 PM
I think we'll agree to disagree on what he owes,
I never did get a response on what you thought he owed the franchise :P

I simply feel the movie is one of his greatest hits, critically and commercially. Commando and Running Man are remembered as lovable camp at best. Predator was more than that and cemented his ability to continue to take on quality projects into the early '90s.

I think he has a small but important cameo written for him in a high-profile studio franchise picture from a critically-acclaimed writer-director who knows and respects Arnold's cachet, and who has clearly written the role in order for it to be able to lead to a strong presence in future installments. I think given the state of Arnold's career at present it could only help him, if he's serious about coming back big the way Sly eventually did (and Sly's had fits and starts since his big return but major movies like Creed and the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel have kept him up - Arnold doesn't really have anything like that in his quiver atm). Sly is shrewd enough to know he doesn't always have to be the star, and realized his Expendables DTV sequels were hurting more than helping him. What was Arnold's last really substantial studio picture? Genisys and David Ayer's worst movie before Suicide Squad? He starred in those but did it help him? Arnold is far from stupid - he's a very smart businessman and I think he can and should see the benefits here.

YMMV, but that is just my opinion.

SiL

SiL

Thanks for that!

I see what you mean with it as a success, but it really was one of a string. It's more fondly remembered now than the others, but at the time, they were all hitting about the same marks financially and critically.

I don't think Arnie's really that preoccupied with acting today. He reached his goal of being the biggest movie star in the world, then he moved in to his next goal, and his next. I don't get the impression that he's desperate for parts, or a film career. He's not about to starve if he doesn't act, you know?

Do you follow him on social media? One really gets the sense that his community focused projects - ending gerrymandering, after school exercise programs, etc. - are much more what he'd rather be working on today. He still enjoys acting, but it's not all he is like it was in the 80s.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed