Aliens V. Predator Ultimate Prey - AvP Anthology

Started by BryanThomasS, Jan 07, 2021, 08:18:28 PM

Author
Aliens V. Predator Ultimate Prey - AvP Anthology (Read 31,447 times)

426Buddy

Yeah I'm not a fan myself. . I prefer the old way of having the aliens font and predator font.

Kailem

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 01, 2022, 05:33:08 PM
What's wrong with the logo ? I like it

It just looks so generic. Nothing about it says either "Aliens" or "Predator". It looks like some random company logo that could be for just about anything.

It might not have been super imaginative, but I've always preferred the retro "just put the Aliens and the Predator logos together" look they went with back in the day (only with "Aliens" being plural):


Kradan

I guess I'm just biased 'cause I genuinely enjoy 2004 movie

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 01, 2022, 06:32:37 PM
I guess I'm just biased 'cause I genuinely enjoy 2004 movie

Well there's your problem right there!   ;D

RidgeTop

Thanks Marc & Kailem! It was fun to be a part of the process with this.

Personally I've always liked that AVP movie logo, and it's been used a plenty by Dark Horse since then. I wonder if Marvel will do the same when they eventually get to those. Interesting though is the 'Aliens vs. Predators' dual plural title we haven't really seen before, it's like that for the next AVP book too.

AnthaiHero

Not gonna lie. I jump straight to Sigler's story. The only negative is, it's too short!

Corporal Hicks

I've got to say I prefer the classic logo too. They used them on the Rage War, would prefer to always see that one.

My copy arrived yesterday. I'm looking forward to getting dug in and see how all the stories ended up!

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

#247
Read the first story last night. Didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. Mostly just couldn't work out if it was supposed to be black comedy or was just a bit silly - neither of which is necessarily a bad thing, I just couldn't work out which angle it was aiming for.

That said, I loved
Spoiler
the Predator taunting the Alien once he'd locked it inside his containment cell :laugh:
[close]

Marc505

I'm 4 in and have enjoyed them all so far, but "Hotel Mariposa" was a class apart, for me.

Takes some skill to build a world, tell a story and create a whole backstory for multiple characters in such a short piece. Loved it.

HuDaFuK

I've also read the first four, and I'll echo Marc's sentiments about Hotel Mariposa. The stories have been getting progressively better imo but this one was far and away the best so far. I loved the location - what started out not seeming to make much sense wound up being an absolutely fantastic concept.

And another awesome Predator moment when
Spoiler
Hin'tui finds a piano, recognises it as a musical instrument and imagines composing a victory song on it after the hunt :laugh: That was class. Also neat to see this short very much utilising Perry's Yautja concept.
[close]

Marc505

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 06, 2022, 03:35:30 PM
I've also read the first four, and I'll echo Marc's sentiments about Hotel Mariposa. The stories have been getting progressively better imo but this one was far and away the best so far. I loved the location - what started out not seeming to make much sense wound up being an absolutely fantastic concept.

And another awesome Predator moment when
Spoiler
Hin'tui finds a piano, recognises it as a musical instrument and imagines composing a victory song on it after the hunt :laugh: That was class. Also neat to see this short very much utilising Perry's Yautja concept.
[close]

I've read another 3 after that one and it's still the stand out. The explanation for how the building behaved the way it did was inspired. I'd be quite happy to read a novel length story about that whole place!

Corporal Hicks

I've still got Homestead to read next, but I'm really excited to see how that Hotel Mariposa turned out. I was very fond of the concepts while it was being worked on - I don't think RT was keen on it - so I'm glad to hear people seem to like that.

I enjoyed both Below Top Secret and Isla. I thought they were both solidly written, but they were a bit "standard" AvP in terms of narrative. Particularly enjoyed the

Spoiler
use of blue goo as the weapon in Top Secret.
[close]

I don't think I'd have thought Isla would have worked if not for Phalanx being sooo good and making the more primitive work and be accepted.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 07, 2022, 10:37:34 AMI don't think I'd have thought Isla would have worked if not for Phalanx being sooo good and making the more primitive work and be accepted.

That was absolutely my thoughts as well.

(In fact, didn't I literally say that to you on Facebook yesterday? :laugh:)

Corporal Hicks

No! You didn't comment on Phalanx.

HuDaFuK

Fair enough. Well I was thinking it anyway :)

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube RSS Feed