Aliens vs Predator: Rift War (2022)

Started by felix, Oct 16, 2021, 10:32:26 PM

Author
Aliens vs Predator: Rift War (2022) (Read 24,250 times)

[cancerblack]

Learn the way of the RPG and the stories will never end.

SiL

SiL

That's just fan fiction with extra steps!

[cancerblack]

Not quite, fan-fic is something that (generally) the creator expects other people to give attention to. A one shot with the lads and plenty of beer is a great adventure but is never thrust upon the community at large.

Some Old Dude

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 20, 2021, 07:50:43 AM
Do you mean the writer or the fugly Predalien?

You could take it either way, it was a reference to The Nice Guys. I'd posted an image of Ryan Gosling to go with it, but I don't think I have enough clout to post images just yet lol.

VeteranSergeant

Quote from: SiL on Oct 19, 2021, 10:42:32 PM
The novelisation was still well written and fleshed out in interesting and creative ways. It's a bit disingenuous to dismiss the quality of the piece because somebody else wrote the foundation.
You're misunderstanding me. The heavy lifting in a good novel is the concept: the plot and characters. The rest of it is just grunt work, pounding out the word count.  Music of the Spears was a complete story already, where she was just filling in the gaps and describing in words that which had been told in pictures in the comic. Perhaps adding some expanding dialog. And it takes skill to write well, but it is an entirely different skill from coming up with a story idea and characters.

On the other hand, in theory, the short story in the Bug Hunt anthology was completely her idea, and it was a bad idea.  You can't write a good novel on bad ideas. 

So sure, maybe her novelization of Music of the Spears was great. I haven't read it since it came out. But that still wasn't her story. It was Chet Williamson's. Whatever this Rift War ends up as, it appears to be an original story by her and her husband, and will have to stand or fall on the merit of those ideas.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I can see you're not a writer.

I get your point but making a good adaption not as simple or easy as you make it sound. Certainly not "grunt work" and certainly requires more than just describing what was in the comic panels.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: VeteranSergeant on Oct 21, 2021, 05:56:16 PM
You're misunderstanding me. The heavy lifting in a good novel is the concept: the plot and characters. The rest of it is just grunt work, pounding out the word count. 
That word count is what takes the concept to execution - it's not nothing, it's everything. There are plenty of stories with great concepts and just execrable handling that makes them unreadable.

On the flip side I've read plenty of stories where I disliked the concept but the writing was so good I didn't care.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Oct 21, 2021, 06:22:04 PM
I get your point but making a good adaption not as simple or easy as you make it sound.
One only needs to look at terrible adaptations of great source material to see there's a lot of skill and conceptual heavy lifting needed to adapt stories between mediums.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Some Old Dude on Oct 21, 2021, 09:47:28 AM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 20, 2021, 07:50:43 AM
Do you mean the writer or the fugly Predalien?

You could take it either way, it was a reference to The Nice Guys. I'd posted an image of Ryan Gosling to go with it, but I don't think I have enough clout to post images just yet lol.

You can post images at any point, but if it's from a wiki site it will never show up.

VeteranSergeant

Quote from: SiL on Oct 21, 2021, 07:48:39 PM
Quote from: VeteranSergeant on Oct 21, 2021, 05:56:16 PM
You're misunderstanding me. The heavy lifting in a good novel is the concept: the plot and characters. The rest of it is just grunt work, pounding out the word count. 
That word count is what takes the concept to execution - it's not nothing, it's everything.
Well, that's not true, even in the slightest, when it comes to writing the novelization for a comic book. 

The concept has already been executed. Music of the Spears was a finished story, all of it created by Chet Williamson.

There's a reason why there's no Hugo, or nor any other major literary awards for novelizations.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Oct 21, 2021, 06:22:04 PM
I can see you're not a writer.
I'm probably one of the only people here who has ever been paid to write and publish anything, lol. Literally had something published this week.  That's neither here nor there, though it's embarrassing for you.

I'm not shitting on novelizations or the art of crafting them. You guys are welcome to quibble on and on about how hard it is to write the words. She still didn't create the story for Music of the Spears any more than Alan Dean Foster wrote the stories for the original Alien trilogy, or Star Wars, for that matter.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: VeteranSergeant on Oct 22, 2021, 09:53:40 PM
Well, that's not true, even in the slightest, when it comes to writing the novelization for a comic book. 

The concept has already been executed.
As a comic, not a novel. It really doesn't matter whether the idea started as a dot outline or a comic or a movie or a screenplay, the novel itself still lives and dies by the strength of its ability to execute that story in its own medium. You can't just vaguely describe what's in the comic panels and slap "he said" or "she thought" after speech bubbles and call it a day.

QuoteThere's a reason why there's no Hugo, or nor any other major literary awards for novelizations.
Ah, award eligibility, the only true measure of an artwork's legitimacy  :laugh:

Some Old Dude

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 21, 2021, 07:50:35 PM

You can post images at any point, but if it's from a wiki site it will never show up.

No I always make sure to upload images and post them via my imgur account. It's just me being a boomer.

BlueMarsalis79

Imgur's good when it actually loads.

felix

felix

Amazon says Yvonne Navarro is writing this as well.

BlueMarsalis79

Hm interesting.

Corporal Hicks

(I said this pages ago)  :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed