Aliens: Infiltrator - Weston Osche

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 16, 2019, 07:40:23 AM

Author
Aliens: Infiltrator - Weston Osche (Read 65,617 times)

BlueMarsalis79

Anything in Prometheus say LV-223's anywhere near LV-426? I know other material does say that including behind the scenes stuff but I never understood the mentality of it.

The question I always asked being considering everything on it, the confirmation of the existence of intelligent life beyond us for one, why's a near unparalleled research effort not enveloping LV-223 at all times?

Perhaps LV-223's designation got swapped with another random planet to hide the location then ?

Xiggz456

There's an extra terrestrial archeological site on LV223. It doesn't make sense to sully that site and turn it into a junkyard planet IMO.

BlueMarsalis79

Hence my second and third questions. lol 😅

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Quote from: Trash Queen on May 04, 2021, 01:09:25 PM
Anything in Prometheus say LV-223's anywhere near LV-426? I know other material does say that including behind the scenes stuff but I never understood the mentality of it.

The question I always asked being considering everything on it, the confirmation of the existence of intelligent life beyond us for one, why's a near unparalleled research effort not enveloping LV-223 at all times?

Perhaps LV-223's designation got swapped with another random planet to hide the location then ?

LV223 orbits the same gas giant that LV426 orbits, nothing directly is said in Prometheus but that is what everyone is working of the assumption of. Given the distance, direction, etc.

Shaw sends a message saying there is only death there and she'd headed elsewhere, assuming anyone got her message. Fire and stone kinda looks to LV223 again but that isn't canon.

No, its just a mistake Fox/Disney, Weston, Titan missed.

Things to consider: Terraforming is needed, there's multiple Engineer installations on the moon, There's a serious biological catastrophe/contaminant which would most likely render any colony useless within hours. Then there's what SM pointed out, there would be a waystation or help closeby but in both Alien and Aliens there isn't supposed to be anything out there.

SM

SM

LV-223 was established as being in Zeta 2 Reticuli as early as the Prometheus Blu ray release.

Stitch

Stitch

I've just finished and I'm really not sure what to make of it. Some of the bits regarding experimentation and how it linked in with the lore were interesting, and so were some of the sub-plots, but there was a lot that didn't work.

It seemed like a lot of the action took place 'off-screen', so to speak, and it felt like plot threads and characters which could have been developed instead got wrapped up way too easily, or just abandoned.

I kinda felt like I was reading the novelisation of a TV series, but it was only the middle of the season, and the beginning and end are in other books. I know it's supposed to be a prequel to Fireteam, but it doesn't actually feel like it's setting anything up. If there's more information pertinent to the book in the game itself, that's fine, I guess, but you shouldn't have to buy the game in order to flesh out the novel.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: muthur9000 on May 05, 2021, 11:58:50 PM

2. The question I always asked being considering everything on it, the confirmation of the existence of intelligent life beyond us for one, why's a near unparalleled research effort not enveloping LV-223 at all times?

3. Perhaps LV-223's designation got swapped with another random planet to hide the location then?

Setting aside this novel, in a more general sense what do you think in regards to my second and third questions though? I am interested in your opinion in particular.

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Quote from: SM on May 06, 2021, 12:31:15 AM
LV-223 was established as being in Zeta 2 Reticuli as early as the Prometheus Blu ray release.

I am always told bluray menus don't count as canon  ::)

Quote from: Trash Queen on May 06, 2021, 05:28:25 AM
Quote from: muthur9000 on May 05, 2021, 11:58:50 PM

2. The question I always asked being considering everything on it, the confirmation of the existence of intelligent life beyond us for one, why's a near unparalleled research effort not enveloping LV-223 at all times?

3. Perhaps LV-223's designation got swapped with another random planet to hide the location then?

Setting aside this novel, in a more general sense what do you think in regards to my second and third questions though? I am interested in your opinion in particular.

There are blacksites and no go areas, but nothing has been officially stated about LV223's status currently.

BlueMarsalis79

It's just I think nonsensical for Peter Weyland to go missing and nobody ever comes after the Prometheus, in any case setting up shop right next to either a declared black site does not make sense, apart from if a known of but strictly restricted access research station exists on the planet by 2179.

But even that solution creates questions around the abundance of Pathogen available and who gets jurisdiction.

And if the general public's aware or not concerning any of it.   

SiL

SiL

People seem to be operating under the assumption he's dead into he shows up later in the movie.

It's like Alien to Aliens. Somebody knew what was going on, but obviously decided it was better to keep their mouth shut.

BlueMarsalis79

I thought that's because of the long voyage, "By the time you reach your destination I will be long dead." meaning that he's alive when the ship departed and so remained as such far as the general public's concerned anyway, until the vessel disappeared.

Apart from if you imply he faked his death then. If granted eternal life did he expect to be welcomed with open arms after doing that? It does not make much sense to me.

The company flagship disappearing along with it's founder's a much bigger deal than one tugboat going missing after being covertly diverted from it's destination, the truth concerning one can be covered up much easier as an internal affair, the other's basically public.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Trash Queen on May 06, 2021, 07:52:55 AM
I thought that's because of the long voyage, "By the time you reach your destination I will be long dead." meaning that he's alive when the ship departed and so remained as such far as the general public's concerned anyway, until the vessel disappeared.
Right, but that wouldn't make any sense if it was going to be publicly known he was on the ship.

BlueMarsalis79

True but even him dying at the time it disappears surely opened a dialogue.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: muthur9000 on Apr 29, 2021, 05:55:09 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 29, 2021, 05:54:28 PM
Been a little slow making it through this one. I'm at 114. Not been hating the book, but not really been drawn into it either. Struggling to find any of the characters so far particularly interesting, particularly Hoenikker. But given what's just happened, think the narratives about to kick it up a bit more.

I had the same issue, soldier on
Soldier on because it gets better? Or soldier on because he admins this site and has a job to do? :D

*salutes muthur9000 with coffee cup*

Quote from: SM on May 04, 2021, 06:09:40 AM
Up to chapter 9.  I'm finding it pretty engaging despite some niggles.

Such as .... using the term 'backstory' as if they're aware they're in a story.
Didn't bother me, personally. I can see myself saying that in real life... however, what did bother me was
Spoiler
how this interesting backstory was teased for this character, but then he was casually killed in between chapters shortly after. I'm only 126 pages in, so I don't know if we come back to him and learn more about his past... but now that he's dead, I don't really care anymore.

How goofy.
[close]

*salutes SM with coffee cup*

SM

SM

QuoteDidn't bother me, personally. I can see myself saying that in real life...

It's more the word 'backstory'.  Very clunky when 'background' sounds better.

QuoteI am always told bluray menus don't count as canon

Told by whom?

I wasn't a fan of LV-223 being in Z2R personally.  Iota Persei was a better choice based on the distance stated in the film.  However CdL does that stuff and works closely with Ridley and was involved in the films production, plus it's been pretty locked in ever since so I just go with it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed