Lord of the Rings - Amazon Series

Started by KiramidHead, Nov 04, 2017, 07:53:05 PM

Author
Lord of the Rings - Amazon Series (Read 30,885 times)

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Sep 25, 2022, 07:49:06 PMShe makes eye contact with the camera during a slow motion backflip filmed from above.

Season 2 leaked shot of Elrond:

Spoiler
[close]

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

So, obviously...

Spoiler
Celebrimbor needs mithril from the dwarves so he can use it to craft the three elven rings of power, which will then be used to stop the blight and the elves won't have to leave Middle-earth after all.
[close]

Or am I way off here?

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 24, 2022, 05:38:06 PMSo we can put this to rest then.

I won't be happy until I read your review.

[cancerblack]

Yeah, I can only assume you're right.

Ingwar

Ingwar

QuoteRings of Power would have Tolkien turning in his grave

The sets are astonishing, the special effects are seamless and the costumes are incredible. But Amazon's Rings of Power has managed to be both pretentious and boring.

The Lord Of The Rings: Rings Of Power is in more trouble than an orc who's told Sauron he thinks they should all go vegan.

I've written before about shows being "review bombed", which is where there is a gulf between what the critics think and where the audience score is. Usually, this is unfair and the result of trolls. That's apt in this case but not the whole story.

Rings Of Power has taken this to the next level with Elon Musk this week tweeting that "Tolkein is turning in his grave" because "every male character is a coward or a jerk or both".

Musk is just adding to the pile-on that has seen ROP's Rotten Tomatoes audience approval score drop to a dismal 39 per cent.

Among the complaints are the coloured characters dropped in, seemingly at random; the way existing characters such as Morfydd Clark's Galadriel and Elrond seem to have changed dramatically from Peter Jackson's acclaimed films; and rewriting those works to show – among other things – female dwarves without beards.

Now let me say that Musk is both right and very wrong.

Tolkien grew up in Queen Victoria's England where, ironically, the idea of powerful female leaders was not popular. They certainly weren't a strong part of his Lord of the Rings, because you could count them on the fingers of a blind butcher.

The strong women in ROP would probably have Tolkien spluttering in his pipe, while coloured characters would also have raised his bushy eyebrows, given his propensity for describing people as "fair".

But – this is the crucial bit – those are not the problems with ROP.

Not every male character is a coward or a jerk. Having some characters as coloured doesn't ruin things – Ismael Cordova's elf Arondir is the most interesting of the show so far. It's the quality of the character that counts, not what their skin looks like.

And that's the issue.

You can see at a glance why ROP is reportedly costing Amazon $US1bn to make.

The sets are astonishing, the special effects are seamless and the costumes are incredible.

Sadly, the story is not. And more and more are noticing.

It's like being served rancid cat food on a beautiful antique plate.

In years to come, I believe budding fantasy writers will be invited to watch the show because it is a case study in how to use every lazy fantasy trope imaginable, from the ever-burning torches to leaving at "first light" to ramshackle rafts that can survive impossible storms.

It managed to be both pretentious and boring.

And don't get me started on using two-handed swords in close combat. They would be more likely to kill the elf next to them than the orc in front.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/duncan-lay-rings-of-power-would-have-tolkien-turning-in-his-grave/news-story/68b8f10272392cdc634c989d2780ebbf

Master

Master

Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 25, 2022, 08:04:42 PMhttps://c.tenor.com/RHLXIAHnu1MAAAAd/lotr-gimli.gif
This is probably one of the cringest fighting scene I've ever seen. What a choreography! ;D 
How much mithril did they waste on this show?

Spoiler
[close]

It reminds me the most cringe worthy scenes with Legolas. And don't get me started about this reversed sword grip.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Reverse sword grips don't work? ;D

SiL

SiL

Not like that.

[cancerblack]

The problem with Galadriel is that she's this

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: SiL on Sep 27, 2022, 09:38:41 AMNot like that.

I was being sarcastic :)

BlueMarsalis79

xShadowFoxX

Five episodes in.. and nothing's happened..

Local Trouble

Stuff finally happens in the sixth episode.

KiramidHead

I feel like plenty of stuff happened in the first five, but things came to a head in six.

xShadowFoxX

If something did happen in the first five episodes, it was not very eventful. It just shows how slow the series is.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed