Alien - Inferno's Fall

Started by felix, Nov 27, 2021, 01:10:15 PM

Author
Alien - Inferno's Fall (Read 60,353 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 30, 2021, 01:38:50 AM
I think it's actually a really nice sci-fi novel. It just would have benefited from being it's own thing, frankly.
My point, in a delicious nutshell.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Yeah, but black goo, neomorphs and The Alien all appear in the same film, and apparently even the tangential tie-ins that share the universe are branded A L I E N at the minute. It just seems like a really odd thing to get hung up on.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 30, 2021, 02:02:02 AM
Yeah, but black goo, neomorphs and The Alien all appear in the same film
So do androids; still wouldn't like an android-centred Alien novel with no Aliens.

QuoteIt just seems like a really odd thing to get hung up on.
I'm not getting hung up on anything, however
Quote from: SiL on Nov 28, 2021, 08:57:53 PM
... I'm surprised ... people [seem] to act like wanting Aliens in an Alien novel is some kind of hot take.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It is a hot take nowadays.  Everyone knows that the franchise didn't truly reach its potential until it introduced the Engineers and David.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Unlike the Alien, the Black Goo is not cooked yet.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 30, 2021, 02:38:19 AM
It is a hot take nowadays.  Everyone knows that the franchise didn't truly reach its potential until it introduced the Engineers and David.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Nov 30, 2021, 02:21:18 AM
So do androids; still wouldn't like an android-centred Alien novel with no Aliens.

We still don't know if there'll be zero Aliens. There could be all sorts of asspulls to get one in there - not to mention having no idea who exactly is piloting the donut.

Quote... I'm surprised ... people [seem] to act like wanting Aliens in an Alien novel is some kind of hot take.

I think they can get away with the very occasional one that inhabits that world without the monster being front and center and still use the branding to communicate to people what franchise it's related to. The "Prometheus" label is a missed opportunity yes, but it is what it is. Silly hill to gripe on imo.

Engineer

Engineer

There WILL be aliens in it... it says so in the synopsis... it's just a question of which aliens we're going to see: big chap, ridged, deacons, neomorphs or something else entirely...

SiL

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 30, 2021, 02:48:35 AM
We still don't know if there'll be zero Aliens.
Which is exactly why I asked and am still waiting for an answer one way or another. I've not actually written off the book yet.

QuoteSilly hill to gripe on imo.
I'm not really griping on anything. I made one or two comments explaining my feelings and the rest has been mostly responding to people's direct replies to said feelings.

People are more hung up about me saying I'd like Aliens in my Aliens novels than I am at the prospect of there not being Aliens in my Aliens novels.

Quote from: Engineer on Nov 30, 2021, 03:08:07 AM
There WILL be aliens in it... it says so in the synopsis... it's just a question of which aliens we're going to see: big chap, ridged, deacons, neomorphs or something else entirely...
This is pretty disingenuous considering the title has meant the Alien character itself for most of the last 40 years.

Engineer

Engineer

Disagree.
"Alien" was the title because it was nonspecific. It applies whether it's big chap, a neomorph or anything else...

SiL

SiL

O'Bannon liked the title for that reason, yes, but again, incredibly disingenuous to act like for 40 years you could've written about any alien organism and slapped the franchise branding on it and it would've been fine. The title always referred to the creature.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

The breadth of what constitutes as "The Alien" has expanded with each entry, though, with additional interpretations/additions to the creature's mutable nature often drawing upon what came before and, in turn, carrying over and influencing future variants. The Queen in Aliens, the dog/ox-born Alien in Alien 3 and the wide array of implications that come along with it taking traits from its host, the Newborn in Alien: Resurrection, the Pathogen and its myriad of spawn in Prometheus, the Neomorphs in Alien: Covenant... all of this represents the creature we originally met in Alien in some alternate, but still directly related, form.

SiL

SiL

The whole point of David's spiel in Covenant is that the Alien isn't the pathogen - it's his invention, something new, if derivative. The Alien isn't a random, chaotic spawn like the Neomorphs or trilobytes or Deacons; it's David's precise, perfect organism.

I'm not, at any point, trying to convince anyone to agree with me. I'm not, at any point, saying I don't understand other people's take on the matter.

But I am genuinely surprised so many people seem to act like it's a difficult perspective to wrap their heads around.

Engineer

Engineer

It's not a difficult concept to wrap your/my head around... it's simply that I don't agree.

It's alien.... That can mean anything not of earth... and the black goo allows that to be anything the writers want it to be, but it's still connected to Dan o'bannon's "alien" thanks to the prequels.

SiL

SiL

I mean that's one way Fox can get around any rights issues if the Predator situation doesn't resolve itself  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed