CONGRATS FOR REAL! Playable Females in Multiplayer!

Started by Moosh89, Jun 08, 2012, 04:29:11 AM

Author
CONGRATS FOR REAL! Playable Females in Multiplayer! (Read 107,800 times)

Moosh89

Quote from: Sexy Poot on Sep 03, 2012, 12:57:08 AM
Yeah, most people will inevitably look this over, but it really is a big deal that this started from a small fan-site from one person.

That is hard to believe  ;D, but the truth actually is it was a combined effort!  ;D

Special Thanks to ADC for making that awesome video appeal!!!

Everyone should check out his site!, He has an interesting Aliens Documentary coming soon that I can't wait to see!

What a whirlwind!

I just finished emailing/facebooking/tweeting the cast some nice "Thank you"s!

My fingers are gonna fall off!!!

Elliott

Congrats, Moosh!

This is splendid news!

Dovahkiin

Good job, Moosh. We're all proud of you. You sure as hell deserve it.

RagingDragon

Awesome, thanks for your hard work in helping this along, Moosh!

Can't wait to take advantage of this in the game...

delsaber8

We done it y'all!

Blacklabel

SOLID.

fist bumps to everyone.. but specially to Moosh! :)

Hemi

While I love the fact you made the devs consider and implement this Moosh...something rubs the wrong way.(just a little) If you had hold a petition for a SDK/modding tools were we could mod the game so it had female characters...that would make more sense to me imo. And would actually prolong the lifespan of game as we could implement all sorts of new content.

None the less its quite the achievement to get something done on community demand within the realm of Sega. Congrats.

Valaquen

Quote from: SM on Sep 02, 2012, 11:58:54 PM
QuoteThe online controversy was first stirred by a post-E3 interview where senior producer Brian Burleson had claimed there were no playable female characters. What he meant, Pitchford told me, was that there were no playable characters in the E3 demo, which only featured team deathmatch

Backpedal much...
Pitchford also denied they weren't including female Marines in the multiplayer (he skirted the question with his answer, pointing to the single player, when multiplayer was the issue). Talk about damage control. Well done everyone  :)

Stringer2355

http://kotaku.com/5939939/despite-accusations-aliens-colonial-marines-will-indeed-have-female-marines-gearbox-says?tag=aliens

Aliens: Colonial Marines Will Indeed Have Female Characters, Gearbox Says
Tina Amini
You'll be able to play and customize lady marines in Aliens: Colonial Marines, developer Gearbox assured fans during a panel at PAX Prime today. You can hop in the clunky metal shoes of Jennifer Redding during co-op play and even customize an array of female avatars for competitive multiplayer.

Gearbox didn't want to announce anything today, but they felt they had to, CEO Randy Pitchford told me in a recent meeting. The decision to reveal the remaining three cooperative characters (including Redding, who you can see in the above concept art) came as a reaction to a growing online petition that accused the first-person shooter of excluding both playable female characters and female character customization in competitive play.

The petition, which currently holds over 3,800 signatures, appears to be supported by several of the 1986 Aliens film's actors and actresses that performed the roles of marines.
The online controversy was first stirred by a post-E3 interview where senior producer Brian Burleson had claimed there were no playable female characters. What he meant, Pitchford told me, was that there were no playable characters in the E3 demo, which only featured team deathmatch.

It was always the plan to include playable female characters, Pitchford told me. Working with female avatar builds, he explained, is beneficial for both visual diversity—animations and silhouettes that differ from male characters—as well as gameplay diversity. Females have a different skeleton and therefore move differently than the male marines. 

Competitive multiplayer will feature a whole range of both male and female characters, all of which can be customized. You'll be able to write on your gear, customize your armor, and even attach a flamethrower to your pulse rifle if you felt so inclined.

Because the announcement is earlier than the team expected, some details are still being ironed out. Subtleties ranging from mohawk hairstyles to the stance of the lead co-op hero are subject to change. But Gearbox felt the need to clarify that there will indeed be both a playable female marine in co-op, as well as customizable female avatars in the game's competitive multiplayer mode.

Moosh89

Quote from: Hemi on Sep 03, 2012, 09:22:52 AM
While I love the fact you made the devs consider and implement this Moosh...something rubs the wrong way.(just a little) If you had hold a petition for a SDK/modding tools were we could mod the game so it had female characters...that would make more sense to me imo. And would actually prolong the lifespan of game as we could implement all sorts of new content.

None the less its quite the achievement to get something done on community demand within the realm of Sega. Congrats.

Thanks for the kind words Hemi (I really enjoy your work by the way)

However a large amount of the sales (including mine which might be for two consoles) is from console players. Consoles get left out of cool mods and many of us can't afford gaming PCs

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

WinterActual

Quote from: Stringer2355 on Sep 03, 2012, 04:36:08 PM
You'll be able to write on your gear,
Lol! If its freely writing well... here comes the whining  :laugh: Some guys will draw a penis or a swastika or the SS logo or something, then someone will report them. The GBX will start to ban these people for 72 hours or something, but still this is not going to stop anybody for doing funny pictures on their gear. 3 months later they will disable the free writing system and we will have just pre-sets. I am ok with this. But why they bother including such feature if they already know what will happen?  :laugh: I mean it always happen like that with the "open" creation tools  ::) I can't to see what will happen with this feature ^^

shadowedge

shadowedge

Congratulations Moosh! You did it! You rallied the fans together, the Aliens cast, and other gamers. You showed the world that with enough dedication and perseverance that one person can make a difference.

You really did something great here for fans of the film and women everywhere.

Good job! You should be so proud.   :D

Moosh89

Thank you so much!

---------------------------------------------------

A reply to the Thank you letter I sent Ms. Hiller!:

Quote'this is great news for all dynamic  fans of Aliens.  Especially the ladies!

Corp Ferro

shadowedge

Quote from: Moosh89 on Sep 03, 2012, 05:46:31 PM
Thank you so much!

---------------------------------------------------

A reply to the Thank you letter I sent Ms. Hiller!:

Quote'this is great news for all dynamic  fans of Aliens.  Especially the ladies!

Corp Ferro

:D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed