2014 Retrospective Podcast: Alien Isolation, Fire & Stone

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 28, 2015, 10:18:34 AM

Author
2014 Retrospective Podcast: Alien Isolation, Fire & Stone (Read 5,321 times)

Corporal Hicks

I have just uploaded the 22nd episode of the AvPGalaxy Podcast. Episode #22 features AvPGalaxy staffers Corporal Hicks and RidgeTop, along with community guest Shevvie, taking a look back at the 35th anniversary year of Alien and discussing the multitude of releases that have come out in 2014. This includes Creative Assembly’s fantastically received Alien Isolation, Dark Horse’s Fire and Stone series and Titan’s novel trilogy (to name a few).

I like to thank all of our readers and community for visiting us over the fantastic year that has been 2014. I’d also like to specifically thank SM for all his work on editing our podcasts.

I look forward to 2015 with you all and I’m excited to see what Prometheus 2 and Predator 4 brings us, as well as seeing what Fox have in store for us with Aliens 30th anniversary next year.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

I keep trying to listen to this but keep rewinding and having a bit of a dance to the tune at the start.

It's annoyingly catchy. I want to hate it... but it's brilliant!

Corporal Hicks

Gotta love that disco remix.  :P Think SM picked well.

TheBATMAN

Nice podcast guys, I'd agree its been a good year for the franchise. I disagree with the praise for River of Pain though. I thought it was well-written but the events themselves were poor and unimaginative. The colony should have had a slow demise, rather than it all happening over the course of a day or so. The last survivors should have succumbed only hours before Gorman's team arrived. Take out Newt's tale and the Aliens chapters and you have about 100 pages of not very much.

ADC

Another great podcast. Amusing to hear peoples Alien nightmares suffered as kids. Obviously a commonality many of us share that lead to our fascination.  Playing an Oculus version of Isolation next week, looking forward to that, heard it makes the game even more enjoyable (although I understand it gets hard on the eyes after ninety minutes or so).

Love that tune 8)

Corporal Hicks

Thanks, Andrew.  :) I don't know whether to be jealous of you or not. I'm not sure I'd have the balls to play A:I with an Oculus. I've already developed a habit of turning around and checking the room whenever I die. xD I tried the Oculus once, on the Surgeon similulator at one of the EGXs and it really hurt my eyes. But I also had to take my glasses off and found I just couldn't focus on it properly - same issue I have with 3D films.

Darkness

Listened to it today. Great intro music. What was it from?

Corporal Hicks

It's a disco version of Alien. I believe I shared it on the Facebook page.

razeak

Good podcast. The bit about your youthful terror brought back the memories. I first saw Aliens when I was 7 and I spent about the next 7 years having nightmares almost every night. My defense was to cover my head with my blankets and repeat the word flowers in my head over and over until I fell asleep. I would be soaked in sweat by the time I fell asleep.

My kids don't really bat an eye when they watch it and I think it has to do with the exposure to all of the CGI crapfests that ruin some of the imagination and exposure to those film elements.

Also, Isolation brought a lot of those tense feelings back when I was playing it. At least it doesn't ruin my sleep now that I'm 34 lol.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed