Paul Anderson's Alien vs. Predator - AvPGalaxy Podcast #43

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 14, 2016, 12:08:51 AM

Author
Paul Anderson's Alien vs. Predator - AvPGalaxy Podcast #43 (Read 20,627 times)

robbritton

As time goes on I'm more and more forgiving of its flaws and more appreciative of its merits. The Predator ship flying overhead and sucking all the sound out of the mix has more grace than anything in AVPR or Predators. There are some beautiful shots therein.

The only thing that still really galls is the lack of understanding of the source it rips off. Broken Tusk teams up with Machiko out of fury at his wayward students and gratitude to the doctor. There's none of that in AVP, they just team up... I don't know, because? It takes the code of honour thing away a bit too much.

Anyway, it's miles better than its awful sequel, it tries harder to be faithful to the sources feel than Resurrection, it's less slavish to its precedents than Predators and it makes marginally more sense than Prometheus. I think it's earned a place at the table, even if it is in a high chair.

RakaiThwei

Seems like this movie might be getting the Alien 3 forgiveness treatment. At least I hope so anyway.  :)

A part of me says, that might be a tall order. Heh.  :-\

SM

Don't hold your breath.

QuoteThere's none of that in AVP, they just team up... I don't know, because?

An Alien walked onto a spear Lex was holding.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Dec 15, 2016, 11:00:09 PM
Don't hold your breath.

Why do you think I said tall order?

SiL

As I said earlier, every time I watch it I just find new, dumb things to pick at.

It's a profoundly stupid movie. Still not as dumb as AvPR.

robbritton

It's a profoundly stupid movie with some nicely composed shots that is clearly trying really hard to move in the same circles as Scott and Cameron. I think that's what forgives so much for me as the years pass - a well meaning failure has more charm than a cynical cash in.

...Remind me to never become a solicitor for the defence!

SM

I think I squeezed every positive I could out of it a long time ago, yet the negatives are still head scratching to this day.

BishopShouldGo

I just remembered that an Alien lifted a predator with its damn tail.

SiL

Wasn't anything wrong with that.

426Buddy

I didn't really have a problem with how the predators died myself, just thought it should have been spaced out a bit more. Celtic should have had more screen time IMO.

robbritton

Quote from: SiL on Dec 16, 2016, 02:23:19 AM
Wasn't anything wrong with that.

Quite. It's the first time in years a filmmaker had remembered that the ordinary Aliens are incredibly strong. I love Alien 3, but Dillon holding one off remains ridiculous. Just because we'd only seen a queen do it onscreen before, doesn't make it unfeasible that a standard Alien could do just that to a Predator.

SM

Dillon belted the crap out of a bunch of prisoners bigger than him.  Holding off an Alien for a bit longer until it killed him is a non-issue.

SiL

The Alien also didn't rush half of its kills anyway. I don't think Dillon was fending it off so much as remaining lucid longer than the others it mauled to death.

SM

Yeah there's quite a bit of screaming mixed in with the taunts.

robbritton

Hmmm, ok, I'll concede that one on the basis of the Alien playing with its victim. Fair point.

I still think the Predator lifting is both feasible in world and (although bungled slightly in the film) a neat dramatic entrance.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed