New official cross section picture of prometheus ship

Started by Wobblyboddle77, Apr 11, 2012, 11:59:58 PM

Author
New official cross section picture of prometheus ship (Read 46,358 times)

Predaker

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 12, 2012, 10:56:03 PM
Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 12, 2012, 10:46:17 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 12, 2012, 05:41:04 PM
Quote from: bioweapon on Apr 12, 2012, 05:14:27 AM
whats a cross section??

dont know if this was Cameron production or fanmade or toy company. I like it more, it looks more profesional. prometheus looks more like a toy. I mean is a 3d presentation, but then again Sulaco ship was a tangible model.

Holy shit that's cool, I had no idea the same guy had done a Sulaco one.

Couldn't see the fine details in the image, but the Sulaco drawing does not appear to be a cross-sectional drawing.  It looks like a standard elevation / othographic view, showing the right, left, top, bottom, front and back exterior views.  A cross-section (obviously) shows interior detail, by cutting through the object with a imaginary plane.

Can anyone confirm if the graphical model of the Prometheus ship is "official', including the identifying notes?  Because, if it is official, they should have left the description of the engines completely vague.  "Nucleur Ion Propulsion" is not going to get anyone anywhere fast (high specific impulse but very low thrust), and certainly would NEVER work in launch or landing of a massive vehicle on a planet / moon with an appreciable gravitational field.

Even if they make use of a subspace field in tandum with a quantum flux inverter?

LOL  :D

That just might be the golden ticket!

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Eva on Apr 12, 2012, 08:18:25 PM
To me it's pretty self explanatory

Prometheus
http://www.fona.de/mediathek/foto/B_5_4_1_Schiffe_teaser.jpg

Nostromo
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1234/1029847825_a5c83e0d66.jpg

Sulaco

Love the designs I've seen sofar from Prometheus - all of them  :)
Bingo! Nice work.

MrSpaceJockey

IGN released it, and it's currently on the Project Prometheus website as well, as one of the images.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 12, 2012, 10:56:03 PM
Even if they make use of a subspace field in tandum with a quantum flux inverter?

well of course, that would work.  Why didn't they just say that...    ;D

Just saw this in the Verizon thread.  Now this looks "official".  Note how the engine/propulsion description is kept completely ambiguous:  "Hybrid drive capable of interstellar and atmospheric operation".

jeremy_ray

Meh.  Looks like a mash up of Babylon 5's Thunderbolts and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within's Black Boa, without being as good as either one.  It's a video game quality design, no better.

Cvalda

Quote from: jeremy_ray on Apr 14, 2012, 09:28:05 AM
Meh.  Looks like a mash up of Babylon 5's Thunderbolts and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within's Black Boa, without being as good as either one.  It's a video game quality design, no better.
It does bare a resemblance to the Black Boa, yes, but I don't think it's a bad design at all. The problem is the quality of CGI used, which is what makes it look video game quality.

JKS1

Agreed

Looks like a toy at best and just doesnt have any real sense of scale or solidity

Kol

Quote from: JKS1 on Apr 14, 2012, 09:45:55 AM

Agreed

Looks like a toy at best and just doesnt have any real sense of scale or solidity

c'mon, jusdging from trailers and pics; it true scale you will see at the cinema.
i don't like the design either, it's just standard.

but that's a commercial science ship, so what did you expected?
it's nothing special in it's design but in functionality.

JKS1

JKS1

Quote from: Kol on Apr 14, 2012, 10:46:22 AM

Agreed

c'mon, jusdging from trailers and pics; it true scale you will see at the cinema.

Well the movie is titled 'Prometheus'

The ship itself judging by the title alone plays a pretty central role

Yet, this central 'character' looks like something youd see in a video game, especially during the landing sequence we've seen in the trailers

The interiors look pretty cool (with the exception of the Ikea inspired room with the chandeliers), but with most of the exterior shots I've seen it looks like a bog standard CGI video game design, no real sense of scale, no real solidity, no sense that its really 'there'.

And the size of the screen youre watching it on shouldnt make a difference.
Avatar still looks like a cartoon regardless of the size of screen you watch it on.

The Nostromo landing sequence was brilliantly done and the sense of solidity and scale was achieved beautifully and believably

Yeah its a much bigger craft, but thats way beside the point

Take the 'spinners' in Blade Runner for example
Regardless of the size of screen you watch Blade Runner on, those small flying police cars look real, solid and 'there' and have that sense of scale I'm talking about.

The one shot seen so far where the Prometheus does have some 'presence', solidity and scale is during the brief glimpse we see of it crashing into the jockey ship

this is a disappointment for me, but dont take it that I'm rubbishing the movie because of it
Its just something I'm going to have to look past during what I'm pretty certain will be an excellent movie with some truly visually draw dropping moments

I just dont think the Prometheus exterior shots itself will provide any of them, which is a shame

NGR01

I think it's not only the design but also the whole CGI VS Model thing.
For exemple the colision close up looks awesome because it's a model Prometheus.

Kol

Quote from: JKS1 on Apr 14, 2012, 01:41:15 PM
Quote from: Kol on Apr 14, 2012, 10:46:22 AM

Agreed

Well the movie is titled 'Prometheus'

The ship itself judging by the title alone plays a pretty central role

Yet, this central 'character' looks like something youd see in a video game, especially during the landing sequence we've seen in the trailers

The interiors look pretty cool (with the exception of the Ikea inspired room with the chandeliers), but with most of the exterior shots I've seen it looks like a bog standard CGI video game design, no real sense of scale, no real solidity, no sense that its really 'there'.

And the size of the screen youre watching it on shouldnt make a difference.
Avatar still looks like a cartoon regardless of the size of screen you watch it on.

The Nostromo landing sequence was brilliantly done and the sense of solidity and scale was achieved beautifully and believably

Yeah its a much bigger craft, but thats way beside the point

Take the 'spinners' in Blade Runner for example
Regardless of the size of screen you watch Blade Runner on, those small flying police cars look real, solid and 'there' and have that sense of scale I'm talking about.

The one shot seen so far where the Prometheus does have some 'presence', solidity and scale is during the brief glimpse we see of it crashing into the jockey ship

this is a disappointment for me, but dont take it that I'm rubbishing the movie because of it
Its just something I'm going to have to look past during what I'm pretty certain will be an excellent movie with some truly visually draw dropping moments

I just dont think the Prometheus exterior shots itself will provide any of them, which is a shame

i'm with you on that point.

BUT what you/we are complaining about the ship, are the same complains for real space shuttles manufactured by NASA.
in the real world no one would build a ship like the nostromo or the sulaco, cos functionality stands above any design schemes. unless this realm of development becomes that advanced (to mix these abilities).

for me the prometheus has a realistic, more down to earth design and that's why it looks so standard/lame.
but you know what? i can live with it.  ;)

jeremy_ray

Quote from: Kol on Apr 14, 2012, 02:24:58 PM

for me the prometheus has a realistic, more down to earth design and that's why it looks so standard/lame.
but you know what? i can live with it.  ;)

I wouldn't have described it as "down to Earth."  It enters an atmosphere yet it has no aerodynamic qualities.  B5's Thunderbolts are atmoshere capable Star Furies, and you can see all the design changes made to make them work in an atmosphere.  They've even got sweet little fins that rotate out.  The little cult TV show put enough thought into this minor ship, to give it wings for atmospheric flight, but tuck the wings back in towards the center of mass when in space so it can roll better, and they found an elegant way to do it.  They made it look cool and functional.

In Prometheus we have the star vehicle of a Hollywood A movie with a big budget, and you can see that they just didn't care.  It's a few odd shapes and greebling.  All that greebling doesn't create hot spots that burn holes in the ship and cause it to explode.  It has a complicated engine rotation system that better not malfunction because they're sure not repairing it without a space dock. 

I would have taken a good long look at everything the Russians did in the cold war.  They had so much stuff that was striking in appearance and yet purely functional.  There were much more interesting directions they could have gone in.  How about delivering the APC's seperately, and leaving them when the mission was over?  How about an inflateable base camp?  Then the Prometheus itself could have been a more realistic aircraft type vehicle.  It wouldn't be a grunge ship like Ridley hates but it would be plausible.  Just one option . . .

JKS1

Quote from: NGR01 on Apr 14, 2012, 01:51:16 PM
I think it's not only the design but also the whole CGI VS Model thing.
For exemple the colision close up looks awesome because it's a model Prometheus.

Yep !!

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 14, 2012, 09:45:09 AM
It does bare a resemblance to the Black Boa, yes, but I don't think it's a bad design at all. The problem is the quality of CGI used, which is what makes it look video game quality.

This clunky bitch is gonna thrill our socks off when she lands. f**k the marketing render... she's a beauty.

chupacabras acheronsis

my only problems are the excessive saturation of the hull with fake detail and the lack of integrity. there's a huge part of the ship that's protruding and just... hanging there. it doesn't look that solid.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed