Started by g2vd, Sep 22, 2016, 10:55:40 PM

Favorite DOOM?

DOOM
DOOM II
FINAL DOOM
DOOM 64
DOOM 3
Author
Original DOOM Series Discussion Thread (Read 5,642 times)

g2vd

g2vd

Seeing as the Doom 4 thread has become increasingly Doom general in terms of discussion, I figured we needed a proper thread for the Doom series.

So I just bought the DOOM Classic Collection off of Steam I have to say I've really been enjoying it.

So DOOM

Kimo

Play the original Doom's (doom1+2) on ultra violence or nightmare difficulty. It is soo much more fun then any of the other difficulty's. Me and a friend use to play these games with only starting with the pistol on the harder settings. You will never feel so much satisfaction when you complete any of the level s on ultra violence or nightmare. Ultraviolence being my favourite of the two.

XenoZipper

Generally I hate FPS games but Doom I make an exception for because it's so damn fun. I remember playing it way back during it's shareware days on Win95 & I still play the game to this day on PC though I'm more into playing mods now than just the original. The best one I've played so far is the original Doom with a Doom 3 skin thrown over top. It's awesome as hell & Brutal Doom is a super fun mod as well. My favorite of the 3 is the 1st Doom because that's what started it all & the one I still have the most fun playing through.

PsyKore

I usually play through the originals every so often. It's hard for me to pick a favourite because I like a whole bunch of levels from each episode, but it's all-in-all just a timeless game. I especially love playing it with the PSX sounds and music wad.

Brutal Doom is of course amazing, too.

XenoZipper

I agree it is hard to pick a favorite. I love all 3 for different reasons, different levels, etc.. I've yet to play the new Doom as I do not have any of the new consoles to be able to play it or a computer that's good enough to run it. Brutal Doom was so much fun to play. I did a playthrough of the entire first episode of Doom 1 a long while back on my youtube channel. Fun times.

Randomizer

While most of my playtime (and dedication) goes to the originals I must say that Doom 3 feels like home. It's the iteration of the universe which captivates me the most - not just the story but also the general aspect of everything.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

I highly recommend grabbing the mod for Doom 3 that puts the Doom 3 skin & look overtop the original Doom. It's soo damn awesome to see the original Doom levels with Doom 3 graphics. All the enemies are given the Doom3 look too. It's awesome. I can't remember what it's called off hand but it's pretty easy to find. I should also mention, the mod to my knowledge only works with the original release of Doom3, not the BFG Edition. I hate that version of the game.

Randomizer

Oh yeah, I remember that. Not exactly sure of its name but I know I saw it somewhere on /r/Doom.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/4y0t56/doom_4_in_doom_3_in_doom_2_insanitys_brutality_v40/

This is my closest find so far, although it keeps the original enemies and uses DOOM's weapons the enviroment is straight off Doom 3.

XenoZipper

I booted up my Doom 3 today to get the name of the mod & it's called Classic Doom 3. Lots of other killer mods on that site too for the original Dooms & Doom 3.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/classic-doom-3

Randomizer

For a second I was expecting that mod of Doom 3 remade within the idTech engine but whatever. Looks nicer than expected. I think I saw it once on YouTube.

When it comes to weapons I have to admit the originals will always feel the best. Doom 3's felt off (probably because of their sounds, especially early-game ones).

XenoZipper

Totally agree with you there. As much as I like Doom 3, the sound of the guns always bothered me a bit too especially my favorite trusty shotgun. Even some of the creature sounds bother me too. The imps are my main complaint in that department. Death sound of them in the original games will always be the best for me. The Cacodemons too are another I much prefer their look & sound in the originals over Doom 3.

g2vd

Wooo! I completed the original DOOM a few days ago I have to say it was a ton of fun and it actually looked pretty good with the ZDoom Mod. not the one that allows you to aim just the Graphic Texture Mod that just upgrades everything to HD and stuff.

XenoZipper

Quote from: g2vd on Sep 28, 2016, 12:46:24 AM
Wooo! I completed the original DOOM a few days ago I have to say it was a ton of fun and it actually looked pretty good with the ZDoom Mod. not the one that allows you to aim just the Graphic Texture Mod that just upgrades everything to HD and stuff.

Awesome man! Yea I agree the ZDoom Mod is pretty damn awesome. Can't remember how long ago I grabbed that but seems like a lifetime ago. Love how the health items look with the blue hue going around them. I think the armor items are similar with a green hue if I remember correctly. It's been a while since I last played that one. Got stuck on Brutal Doom for quite a while after I came across that one haha

Randomizer

Willing to try Project Brutality. It's been quite too long since I've remained stuck with Brutal Doom and I am curious what your thoughts on it are.

TL;DR: Brutal Doom vs. Project Brutality

XenoZipper

Quote from: Randomizer on Sep 28, 2016, 05:19:45 AM
Willing to try Project Brutality. It's been quite too long since I've remained stuck with Brutal Doom and I am curious what your thoughts on it are.

TL;DR: Brutal Doom vs. Project Brutality

Haven't heard of Project Brutality but I'm definitely interested to try it out! I'll take a look for it in a bit. I'm the same & stuck on Brutal Doom as well as Classic Doom 3 mod.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed