ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 391,100 times)

predxeno

predxeno

The AVP films and A:CM better not be removed from canon.  For those who know me, you will remember that I'm a criminal justice major; if Fox takes those titles off canon then it sets a VERY dangerous precedent. 

It will ultimately dictate that no matter what, EVERY title can be subject to decanonization based exclusively on popularity, this may include Alien 5 and Prometheus 2 as well.  We all know that countless fans would have been fine purging Alien 3 when it first came out but now that some time has passed, do those same fans still wish it? 

If this corruption is allowed to foster then one day, a fan favorite title may join the list based exclusively on studio popularity, is this something any of us wants?  The very fact that Fox considered purging Alien 3 and A:R is proof that this corruption is already starting to take root.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 06, 2014, 01:10:57 AM
The AVP films and A:CM better not be removed from canon.  For those who know me, you will remember that I'm a criminal justice major; if Fox takes those titles off canon then it sets a VERY dangerous precedent.

What does that have to do something with a realm of fiction?

It will ultimately dictate that no matter what, EVERY title can be subject to decanonization based exclusively on popularity, this may include Alien 5 and Prometheus 2 as well.  We all know that countless fans would have been fine purging Alien 3 when it first came out but now that some time has passed, do those same fans still wish it? 

This is not the first time that some being removing from canon has been based exclusively on popularity. Highlander II was essentially ignored and for the most part rendered moot when Highlander III was released. Infact Highlander III is given the nickname Highlander: The Apology. And then there is the 1998 Godzilla movie which.. OFFICIALLY was retconned, rebranded and even had the titular creature renamed solely because of the take it took and the reaction it had. This really isn't anything new.

Do fans from 1992 still hate Alien 3? Unsurprisingly, yes.. Yes they still do. I've met several hardcore Alien fans and artists who were fans of the franchise and they are still bitter about Alien 3. I know one guy who does nothing but write scripts where Alien 3 is ignored because he wants Hicks and Newt back. I was surprised that Alien 3 and Resurrection were almost purged.

If this corruption is allowed to foster then one day, a fan favorite title may join the list based exclusively on studio popularity, is this something any of us wants?  The very fact that Fox considered purging Alien 3 and A:R is proof that this corruption is already starting to take root.

PredXeno, I feel you and I don't like either but.. This is kind of a common thing for many studios to do. I suppose we should've seen this coming some two, maybe even five years ago. The only thing we can do is either stick with our personal canon, voice our opinion in someway (though I'm sure they will fall on deaf ears) or just move on to a different franchise.

I'm strongly considering on going back to Turtles and Street Fighter. And I've been following the Alien-Predator franchise since I was six years old. Twenty years is a long and good run. Just wish it lasted a little longer.

SM

QuoteThe AVP films and A:CM better not be removed from canon.  For those who know me, you will remember that I'm a criminal justice major; if Fox takes those titles off canon then it sets a VERY dangerous precedent. 

Fox owns Alien, Predator and all related spinoffs and properties.  They can do what they like, for good or ill.  It doesn't matter if you're studying criminal law - there's no crime that's been committed.

predxeno

predxeno

The dangerous precedent I was referring to is that if Fox gets to erase canon then it will ultimately abuse this power, just look at LucasFilm.  A few years ago, it was dictated that the movies were canon 1 and any Clone Wars TV show (microseries and main series) would be canon 2, now that has been completely altered with the microseries being cast out.  The Force Unleashed was also a very popular storyline and many fans consider it canon (though some choose to ignore TFU2), now there are talks to throw that story out as well.  In all likelihood, what with the new Star Wars trilogy and the multiple standalone films SW fans are promised in the coming years, it is quite likely that the award-winning Clone Wars series, which is considered among the highest canon pier, will be nullified and replaced for future titles as well (just like its predecessors).

If AVP fans give Fox the same power to nullify canon, then the exact same disaster will occur in this franchise as well.  In their desperation to maintain a single canon (one that is affiliated with popular views), fans are not realizing the doom they are guiding this beloved series to; can you imagine a world where Fox allows the newest film/game to be canon, then a few years later nullify that title for the next newest title, and then a few years later nullify the new title for the next newest title?  At some point, Fox will realize that it doesn't need fans to act as the middleman anymore and can simply nullify canon at will (as LucasFilm is now doing), this calamity has already occurred before and we can't let it take this franchise as well; as a fan of this franchise, you can't tell me you don't view this sort of careless behavior toward the canon of a beloved series to be some sort of moral crime against it (if not a legal one).

SM

SM

QuoteThe dangerous precedent I was referring to is that if Fox gets to erase canon then it will ultimately abuse this power, just look at LucasFilm.

Disney owns Lucasfilm now and with new film being made - they get to call the shots.

QuoteIf AVP fans give Fox the same power to nullify canon, then the exact same disaster will occur in this franchise as well.

What makes you think fans are in any position to give Fox anything?

QuoteIn their desperation to maintain a single canon (one that is affiliated with popular views), fans are not realizing the doom they are guiding this beloved series to; can you imagine a world where Fox allows the newest film/game to be canon, then a few years later nullify that title for the next newest title, and then a few years later nullify the new title for the next newest title?

Again, fans don't guide anything beyond paying for product.  As for the 'imagine a world' bit - we don't need to imagine it.

QuoteAt some point, Fox will realize that it doesn't need fans to act as the middleman anymore and can simply nullify canon at will

They did that over 20 years ago when they made a movie that made a bunch of comics completely redundant.  Then they did it again, when they made another movie that made all the rest of the comics completely redundant.  I don't know what you're talking about with fans being 'middlemen'?

Quoteas a fan of this franchise, you can't tell me you don't view this sort of careless behavior toward the canon of a beloved series to be some sort of moral crime against it (if not a legal one).

Why should I?  The direction they're taking more or less conforms to the views I've held for over 20 years.

Even if they didn't conform to my views - I'd still maintain my views.  It's just that Fox's would be different.  You could get all melodramatic and say there's a moral crime - some might even agree.  But as long as Fox owns the whole shebang, there's no legal problem and they call the shots.  Not you and not me.

(Oh okay maybe a little bit me).

RakaiThwei

One thing is for sure.. Xenopedia is going to have to overhaul their pages a bit. Assuming Quarax or Leigh Burne get a hold of the book and look at the timeline. Or.. they'll just leave the pages as is and have everything posted for sake of completion.

Local Trouble

SM

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 06, 2014, 02:09:07 AM
One thing is for sure.. Xenopedia is going to have to overhaul their pages a bit. Assuming Quarax or Leigh Burne get a hold of the book and look at the timeline. Or.. they'll just leave the pages as is and have everything posted for sake of completion.

What did Wookieepedia do when Disney decanonised stuff?

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Sep 06, 2014, 02:20:13 AM

They had slapped on a label called "legends" and then added category tabs which had previous canon information in a separate tab. So basically, all the canon stuff which was kept is abbreviated, where as everything else is in a separate tab and had legends slapped on the top.

Quarax

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 06, 2014, 02:09:07 AM

Yeah, a lot of our pages on stuff from the AVP films, novels, and comics aren't very good.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Quarax on Sep 06, 2014, 02:22:29 AM
Yeah, a lot of our pages on stuff from the AVP films, novels, and comics aren't very good.

I actually left a topic on the forum which no one answered but now, I doubt that it matters.

Assuming you or Leigh Burne get this book, what kind of mass changes can we expect for Xenopedia? If any changes are going to be made whatsoever?

SM

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 06, 2014, 02:22:13 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 06, 2014, 02:20:13 AM

They had slapped on a label called "legends" and then added category tabs which had previous canon information in a separate tab. So basically, all the canon stuff which was kept is abbreviated, where as everything else is in a separate tab and had legends slapped on the top.

Simple enough solution.

SiL

SM, clear your damn PM inbox.

SM

Geez, alright...

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 06, 2014, 12:49:03 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 05, 2014, 11:53:58 PM
I guess we'll see how it all plays out. :)

I don't think you're going to like how it plays out and I sense SM's mustache-twirling machinations to be responsible for it...
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 05, 2014, 11:53:58 PM
I guess we'll see how it all plays out. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed