Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 113,532 times)

SM

Dull characters, having it set on Earth, no space marines, general lack of tension, very little fighting, sped up Alien life cycle, roided up Predators.

Take your pick.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 10, 2019, 10:44:38 PM
Did SM dig Mortal Kombat?

The small snippets I've seen of it do not inspire me to seek out more snippets.

Oasis Nadrama

Oasis Nadrama

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 10, 2019, 11:18:49 PM
I know this is quite annoying but can somebody patiently explains why first AVP movie considered as bad?

Terrible characters, action movie without any horror, bad special effects, terrible writing, horrible art direction and f**kING BULLET TIME FACEHUGGERS

Also they get rid of the Alien Queen by throwing her right into the sea, which happens to be the largest interconnected set of ecosystems on Earth, surrounding all land mass. Very smart when we're talking about the egglaying representant of a particularly invasive species.

Still, I preferred it to Requiem. At least AVP was trying to tell a story, rather than to be "darker and edgier" for the sake of it.

P-Rock

They throw her into the sea hooked to a large water supply tank. Also, there's no egg laying possible without an egg sack and I'm pretty sure she isn't able to breathe underwater either.

SM

I think she probably could - at least for a while, but yeah, being tied to the tank the implication is that she's as good as dead.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Oasis Nadrama on Feb 10, 2019, 11:59:10 PMAlso they get rid of the Alien Queen by throwing her right into the sea, which happens to be the largest interconnected set of ecosystems on Earth, surrounding all land mass. Very smart when we're talking about the egglaying representant of a particularly invasive species.

Are you suggesting that the queen could survive to create a nest at the bottom of the ocean, "requim" and then start laying eggs that would infect sea creatures with alien embryos?

D. Compton Ambrose

I would be OK with this. Seeing how Covenant has only recently grown on me, however, I have little confidence I'd like it upon first viewing.

Honestly, I'd just leave the Alien films alone at this point. Covenant was a success, in my opinion. Better Cameron direct an 'Alien-Predator' reboot with Colonial Marines. I bet he could do wonders. (He had a small hand in designing the Predator, iirc, it was the mandibles, and most of the marines from Aliens cast - RIP Ultimate Badass - have worked together on Cameron's films or films featuring Predators with Michael Biehn, Lance Henriksen, Jeannette Goldstein and Bill Paxton in Terminator, Terminator and AVP, Predator 2 and Terminator). Not saying that he should (or even could) bring those actors on for an A/P Reboot, but he very well knows his way around that particular corner of 1980's sci-fi. So I'm confident if anyone could make a GOOD Alien/vs/Predator film it would be him.

CelticP

Quote from: The Space Pilot on Feb 10, 2019, 11:43:19 AM
Quote from: CelticP on Feb 09, 2019, 05:37:09 PM
Halloween H40 changed my mind a bit about this project. Honestly, bring it on. I wouldn't kind seeing Weaver kick ass one more time, and I love Neil Blomkamp. I love Alien 3 too, but this movie isn't going to erase it. It's not like after Halloween h40 I'm not allowed to watch Halloween 2 or other Halloween 2. Canon is a construct and doesn't matter honestly. Just tell good ass stories.
But Aliens fans - no. And this movie is the hope of a sequel that some people have been waiting for since 1992.

Although I will say, fans are probably the last person you want to talk too if you want to make a good story. Ripley coming back with Hicks and Newt by itself doesn't excite me. But if there was a real story there, besides just fan service, it could be something unique. H40 was good not because it brought Laurie back and made references to the original, but because it decided to be a story about trauma and how it affects an entire generation of a family. (and a town to some extent) For a way late slasher sequel, that's pretty impressive.

If Blomkamp's Aliens takes Ripley in a new direction, that feels organic, and makes her character arc feel complete in that new timeline, then please, make that movie now. But if all it is is Ripley kicking ass with Power Loaders and shit, boring stuff that fans seem to crave, then I dunno. That's what always turned me off from the project. Have it mean something instead of being a petty attempt at "fixing" the franchise because you didn't get your way.

My biggest issue with the franchies (alien and predator), Prometheus and Covenant aside, is their reliance on trying to please the fans. Make a cool movie, and it will find an audience. Maybe not the biggest. But the ones that love it will be head over heels. Like, Chappie's probably my favorite Blomkamp joint. It's so sweet, and funny, and full of just wild creativity that it just sucks me in every time I watch it. Most people hate it. But that's okay. Not every movie has to be for everyone. 

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Wweyland on Feb 10, 2019, 07:01:24 PM
Isn't he just saying that he is working on giving Blomkamp a call? I think this quote has been blown out of proportion.

Yep that's what we've been saying all along.

Oasis Nadrama

Oasis Nadrama

Quote from: P-Rock on Feb 11, 2019, 12:15:25 AM
They throw her into the sea hooked to a large water supply tank. Also, there's no egg laying possible without an egg sack and I'm pretty sure she isn't able to breathe underwater either.

Aliens have been shown to be able to withstand space since the first movie. Remember Ripley had to ignite the Narcissus' reactors to get rid of Kane's Son?
We have absolutely no confirmation they need to breathe, we even have more clues they don't in the various movies, and some of the "extended universe" on various media doesn't hesitate to establish they don't.
Same thing goes for the temperature.
I frankly don't understand why you would think a creature able to survive in space would have trouble surviving in water, even the coldest water. It is still a way more welcoming environment.

And about the egg sack, well, that's kind of a blurry area, but there's a good chance she can lay eggs without it, regrow it or use alternative methods of reproduction (of this, too, we have some clues). We've got now three separate movies, Alien 1 Director's Cut, Alien 3 and the dreadful AVP Requiem, telling us Alien reproduction can work pretty well without an egg sack.

SM

It's not about killing the Queen, so much as removing her as a threat.

SiL

Quote from: Oasis Nadrama on Feb 11, 2019, 06:30:55 AM
We have absolutely no confirmation they need to breathe, we even have more clues they don't in the various movies, and some of the "extended universe" on various media doesn't hesitate to establish they don't.
The films establish they breathe.

They can clearly survive extreme conditions for long periods, but that doesn't mean she'd survive indefinitely.

As for surviving in space vs. surviving under the sea:

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Feb 11, 2019, 06:34:23 AM

Wouldn't the queen remain a threat if she were pumping out eggs at the bottom the ocean?

Russ

I'm pleased at the bullish defence of WS Anderson. I don't think anyone's going to say he's a brilliant director, but he's not a talentless hack either. By and large, he makes entertaining movies (importantly profitable entertaining movies).

I'm a fan, I've enjoyed pretty much all of his films - funny enough, being a bit of a fan of ancient history, Pompeii was my least favourite film of his.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 11, 2019, 07:15:07 AM
Quote from: SM on Feb 11, 2019, 06:34:23 AM

Wouldn't the queen remain a threat if she were pumping out eggs at the bottom the ocean?

Was she?

She wasn't a threat to Lex, so it doesn't really matter until they make another movie with the Queen in.

windebieste

A retcon is not 'innovative'.  What a crock.  lol.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed