Aliens Epilogue

Started by friendlyskies, May 22, 2009, 05:53:21 PM

Author
Aliens Epilogue (Read 69,180 times)

Berserker Pred

Berserker Pred

I thought it was good, yes the acting was quite poor but that's what I expect from a fan film. The attention to detail was good and props were very good!

Darkness

Darkness

Quote from: SM on Apr 16, 2012, 12:25:15 AM
But what made this not only the best Alien fan film, but one of the best fan films of any franchise - is the costumes and the hardware.  All first class.

I think everyone seems to have conveniently forgotten about Redemption. That sorta set the benchmark for fan films and CGI.

There was some nice touches here. General story, camera work, editing, sets, a lot of effort went into it. Marine costumes, weapons were good. The alien costume was alright apart from the teeth but it's difficult to compare this fanfilm to SEED. The human story is better here but the aliens didn't get much screentime. There was a lot more creature stuff in SEED even if the action was a bit chaotic, they put a lot of work into the costumes. I don't think you can deny that. As already said, I wish more effort had gone into the delivery of lines. Some of the guys were quite good but more often than not, they may as well have been reading the lines off of their hand. But overall, it's one of the better fan films we've seen in this franchise.

SM

SM

Quotethink everyone seems to have conveniently forgotten about Redemption. That sorta set the benchmark for fan films and CGI.

Praising one fan film does mean anyones forgotten others.  Conveniently or otherwise.

For whatever reason I never finished watching Redemption.

QuoteSome of the guys were quite good but more often than not, they may as well have been reading the lines off of their hand.

Same as every other fan film in existance.

Hudson

Hudson

I'm not even sure I know what "Redemption" is.

On the acting:

I'll jump in and agree with mostly everyone but I'll be more blunt. That acting was shitty. I think Trevor Steedman looked like the only person who actually cared and tried to put effort into interpreting a character. Everyone else was just meh. I came to the realization when the marines were lining up and the sergeant is saying things that a sergeant might say, that Apone might have said, but basically mumbling it. No attitude, no intensity, just....bblllllaaaahhhh.

But again, the movie looked great. Even if it didn't know the Aliens as much as SEED, SEED is absolutely horrible. It doesn't even look that great. The costumes were good but it was shot horribly. This actually had a bit of effort in that department.

I think with the actors though...people try too hard to use friends and family and whatnot. You don't know how easy it is to find aspiring actors who will work for free. They just want their image out there and they want people to know their name and that they can perform, it's not that hard.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Hudson on Apr 16, 2012, 10:37:13 PM

A fan film that's AvP related.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Apr 16, 2012, 10:38:28 PM
Quote from: Hudson on Apr 16, 2012, 10:37:13 PM

A fan film that's AvP related.

Well, yeah I can sort of gather that but...link?

SM

SM

QuoteI think with the actors though...people try too hard to use friends and family and whatnot. You don't know how easy it is to find aspiring actors who will work for free. They just want their image out there and they want people to know their name and that they can perform, it's not that hard.

No one tries hard to use friends and family.  There's just the convenience of having people you already know and can get along with, without taking up extra time to audition people.  Plus it's likely these people 'get' what you're trying to do over trying to explain it to strangers.

Obviously it's better to use actual actors - but if they suddenly get a paying gig or an audition for a paying gig; there's a good chance they're going to do that over your non-paying gig, despite the fact you have a bunch of crew standing around waiting for them (also not being paid) and you're spending your own money to stage the whole thing.

I will shortly find out if dodgy acting can be improved with ADR....

AVP Redmeption link Huddo - here.

Had another look.  I remember now why I didn't finish watching it.  It's very dark.  Not AvP:Poo dark, but there's a lot of stuff with low light which gets irritating.  Anyway watched the whole thing.  It's main problem is the Alien acid has the pH of weak tea.  And Predator can slice up Aliens with gay abandon with nary a drop of acid getting anywhere near him, and dead Aliens don't miraculously cause hull breaches - even when a PredAlien is felled in what appears to be the main hangar and therefore the lowest deck on the ship.  When it turns out theres another deck below - STILL the acid does f**k all.   That aside, it's  extremely well done.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

I'm not really a fan of Alien epilogue.
Props are awesome but cinematography is totally absent.
And Cinematography is the most important since even non-paid film can looks really beautiful.

chupacabras acheronsis

Quote from: Le Celticant on Apr 19, 2012, 01:32:25 PM
I'm not really a fan of Alien epilogue.
Props are awesome but cinematography is totally absent.
And Cinematography is the most important since even non-paid film can looks really beautiful.

i agree. i found lots of moments in which i thought "this could use a low angle or a continuous sequence", that shouldn't happen.

Hudson

Hudson

Watched AvP Redemption, probably had the most polish of a fanfilm I've seen (alien/predator wise) although some of the 3D was a bit inconsistent.

And I'm tired of credits that scroll up for 3 minutes with the same 5 names listed. If you get that much of a boner seeing your own name spelled out just write it on the wall 50 times. Other than that good.

I'd probably rank them:

Redemption
Epilogue
SEED

Abe

Abe

Where was the first showing of this? The Aliens convention or earlier?

friendlyskies

friendlyskies

The first showing was at the Aliens Convention in September last year. Which was not a final cut. Cpl Hicks (Aaron) was there and before it was shown we let everyone know it was an incomplete preview screening.

I have to admit I had a huge boner during the end credits. ;)

Actually, the end credits weren't shown at the convention, I stopped playback as they came up .

Seriously though, all feedback is welcome. Constructive criticism is always helpful.

We're happy with the end result with the money, time, resources and equipment that we had to work with but appreciate that not everyone will enjoy it, which is fine of course.

Cheers

Darren

Abe

Abe

Quote from: friendlyskies on Apr 19, 2012, 07:47:46 PM
The first showing was at the Aliens Convention in September last year. Which was not a final cut. Cpl Hicks (Aaron) was there and before it was shown we let everyone know it was an incomplete preview screening.

I have to admit I had a huge boner during the end credits. ;)

Actually, the end credits weren't shown at the convention, I stopped playback as they came up .

Seriously though, all feedback is welcome. Constructive criticism is always helpful.

We're happy with the end result with the money, time, resources and equipment that we had to work with but appreciate that not everyone will enjoy it, which is fine of course.

Cheers

Darren

Yay! I was at the first screening! ;D And Ive still got my ticket. :)

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: friendlyskies on Apr 19, 2012, 07:47:46 PM

Cheers

Darren

Hello,

I don't want you to feel that I'm being bad with you.
It's not intended but the only constructive criticism I could find is maybe learn the art of photography and composition.
It's not an easy task to shoot for sure, but imagining yourself the film before doing it is even harder especially when you have to justify the form and shape of every composition of every shots to make it a coherent whole.

I have no problem to admit anyway that you had hard time to made this fan film and I congratulates you because I know it's not an easy task.  ;)

Hudson

Hudson

QuoteWe're happy with the end result with the money, time, resources and equipment that we had to work with

And you should be, it was a very impressive effort.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed