Alien: Engineers - Leaked Jon Spaihts' draft

Started by antovolk, Nov 11, 2012, 01:28:31 PM

Author
Alien: Engineers - Leaked Jon Spaihts' draft (Read 58,138 times)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Blacklabel on Nov 15, 2012, 06:21:15 AM
I like the descritiption of the Holloway Xeno:
Spoiler
QuoteBehind them, from an eight-inch diameter pipe, a WHITE MASS
oozes, almost gelatinous. Silently as a liquid it pours
itself into the stagnant water - and stands up.
It is a humanoid demon, spindly limbs and bony back. Boneless
and flexible and monstrously strong. A threshing eel's tail.
Its blunt head dolphin-like and elongated.
It opens its mouth. A pair of bony jaws jut out impossibly
far, hungry and demonic.
The Alien strikes. Card is gutted in an instant, torn up like
a paper doll. He screams hideously and drops. The Alien,
whiplash fast, shoots away into the darkness.
For one moment Downs's flashlight beam illuminates the Alien.
A nightmare image, a translucent white goblin. Backlit, it
shows the strange shape of a human face inside its fleshy
skull. A mockery of Holloway.
And then it's gone.
[close]

Kind of a white, latex T-1000 with teeth.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Nah your reading too much into the "ooze" description, i think. It's very similar to the Carlos Huante design... except it's boneless, actually has a tail and the dome is transparent and "dolphin like". Huante inspired himself in the Belluga whale for his last design before he left, he probably started off from this description. His design has the "pair of bony jaws" in a few of his concept pieces. the chestburster stage does have the hability to "squeeze" itself into tight spaces like an octopus though. That hability isnt shown in the adult version.

The original Giger Alien shows up on the script. and is the one that Watts (Shaw) gives "birth" to.

The differences between these aliens are explained by David. There are many different compartiments with different eggs on the juggernaut, and each have been "tinkered with" differently. Holloway and Watts each "get" different facehuggers. There's no clear "protoxeno" here. No "evolution" into the Alien. The black ooze can mutate animals but doesnt give them the hability to give birth to "facehuggers" who then mate to produce the alien. There's none of that "Lindelofian" overcomplication in here.

One idea though. Spaihts script has a "hatchery" with many different eggs. Lindelof's version has the "Head" room with many canisters of varying size. Maybe their contents really are different. And fifield did get something different than Holloway. Someone has to get Lindelof at gunpoint to explain that mess. He'd probably just say "i dont know.. and isnt that cool? And mysterious?" Gah! :laugh:

LarsVader

I wonder which came first;
the script or early concept art?

Magegg

Quote from: LarsVader on Nov 16, 2012, 08:49:03 AM
Quote from: Magegg on Nov 16, 2012, 03:53:15 AM
Remember when they said "the last 15 minutes tie-in with the beginning of Alien"? I'm pretty sure they meant this version =)
It ties sh*t!  :D

So I guess it wasn't an Alien that the Nostromo crushed while landing on LV-426,
it was Shaws/Watts' little cast away camp that it landed on!

Spoiler
[close]

?

LarsVader

Quote from: Magegg on Nov 16, 2012, 04:21:25 PM
Quote from: LarsVader on Nov 16, 2012, 08:49:03 AM
Quote from: Magegg on Nov 16, 2012, 03:53:15 AM
Remember when they said "the last 15 minutes tie-in with the beginning of Alien"? I'm pretty sure they meant this version =)
It ties sh*t!  :D

So I guess it wasn't an Alien that the Nostromo crushed while landing on LV-426,

Spoiler
[close]

?
What I was trying to say was that in my opinion it ties into Alien very badly.
So much inconsistency.

For example; the Nostromo crew should have stumbled upon Watts' ultramorph adorned ship module and such.
And since they didn't stumble upon her camp I speculated that they simply must have landed on top of her,
me including a reference to a xeno some demented people allegedly saw being crushed by the Nostromos landing feet in ALIEN.

And I found her behavior very cast-away-ish, decorating her home with trophies and talking to a head.
That's the Tom Hanks image for.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: LarsVader on Nov 16, 2012, 04:32:47 PMSo I guess it wasn't an Alien that the Nostromo crushed while landing on LV-426,
Remember Aliens: Engineers was written to be the first of two Alien prequels. Maybe the second one would explain Watts and David's fates.

And out of that, it explained the origin of the Juggernaut from the First movie; so, yeah, it tied-up with Alien and complished its purpose.

LarsVader

Quote from: Magegg on Nov 16, 2012, 05:32:13 PM
Quote from: LarsVader on Nov 16, 2012, 04:32:47 PMSo I guess it wasn't an Alien that the Nostromo crushed while landing on LV-426,
Remember Aliens: Engineers was written to be the first of two Alien prequels. Maybe the second one would explain Watts and David's fates.

And out of that, it explained the origin of the Juggernaut from the First movie; so, yeah, it tied-up with Alien and complished its purpose.
So the second prequel would explain all the differences to the Juggernaut interiors, the change in the moons rotation and the disappearance of dead Aliens and people, a crashed Magellan, a decorated ship module, a giant pyramid complex with a giant hangar and a whole equator of pyramids all shining bright beams of light into space?

I don't want to fight over this.
I just think that it does not tie up so neatly.

Magegg

Quote from: LarsVader on Nov 16, 2012, 05:55:38 PMSo the second prequel would explain all the differences to the Juggernaut interiors
We didn't see most of the Juggernaut interior in the first movie.

Quote from: LarsVader on Nov 16, 2012, 05:55:38 PMthe change in the moons rotation
And this?

Quote from: LarsVader on Nov 16, 2012, 05:55:38 PMand the disappearance of dead Aliens and people
Dude, the dead of Aliens and People happened inside the PYRAMID, not inside the Ship. As far as I know, the Nostromo explorers were never inside the Pyramid, they only got inside the ship.

Quote from: LarsVader on Nov 16, 2012, 05:55:38 PMa crashed Magellan, a decorated ship module
The script says the Magellan was cleaned from the surface by the dust/static storm, so it will take more of a archaelogical research to find the pieces. As for the module, yes, I think the sequel was going to explain that.

Quote from: LarsVader on Nov 16, 2012, 05:55:38 PMa giant pyramid complex with a giant hangar
The hangar was on the underground, and the pyramid, well, it's supposed the Nostromo landed next to the ship, they maybe didn't even notice the pyramids.

Quote from: LarsVader on Nov 16, 2012, 05:55:38 PMand a whole equator of pyramids all shining bright beams of light into space?
Pretty clear this was going to be an important plot point for the sequel.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Blacklabel on Nov 16, 2012, 01:14:29 PM
Nah your reading too much into the "ooze" description, i think. It's very similar to the Carlos Huante design... except it's boneless, actually has a tail and the dome is transparent and "dolphin like". Huante inspired himself in the Belluga whale for his last design before he left, he probably started off from this description. His design has the "pair of bony jaws" in a few of his concept pieces. the chestburster stage does have the hability to "squeeze" itself into tight spaces like an octopus though. That hability isnt shown in the adult version.

No, I'm taking it literally:

Quotealmost gelatinous. Silently as a liquid it pours itself into the stagnant water - and stands up.

Sounds exactly like a white, fleshy T-1000 to me. :)

Blacklabel

Ok, fine. It can be taken both ways.  :laugh: I still maintain that the description was just Spaihts being creative with his choice of words but moving on.. :laugh:

It would be interesting to organize an interview with Spaihts for the website get his views on the film and the making of etc. :P (and what he meant with that description :laugh: )

Magegg

Well, I wrote an article about it for one Mexican website: http://www.anim-arte.com/aliens-engineers-el-borrador-de-prometeo/

Thanks AvPGalaxy for the pictures :)

Deuterium

Deuterium

Jon Spaiht's is a mediocore script writer, in my humble opinion.  See my previous posts for explanation, and to get links to his other two published scripts...i.e. "Shadow 19", and "Passengers".   ::)

Why this man is all of a sudden the "golden child" of Hollwood, completely escapes me.

When it comes to Damon Lindelof...my feelings are even stronger in that sense.  Oh well.

Hybrid King

What exactly is the correlation between the scarabs and the xenos?

Zenzucht

Quote from: Hybrid King on Nov 17, 2012, 01:52:14 PM
What exactly is the correlation between the scarabs and the xenos?

Source of the hierarchy, Egyptian symbolism..

Concerning of the Shadow 19 and the Passengers.. Shadow 19 is Spaihts' breaktrough script, he said he has rewritten it over a hundred times.. And rewriting is a big chunk of a screenwriter's work.

I am sure he had much much less time for rewrites for the Alien prequel project than for Shadow 19. If I remember well, the names of Fifield and Milburn suddenly appears after forty pages or so in the recently leaked draft, without previous setting up, which means he was changing names during the writing. You would usually get back and changed the names on the previous pages. The fact he didn't even bothered to change them means a) it was so secret that they didn't have anybody to re-check the scripts b) it was constantly evolving and c) time limit, which was probably caused to start production on a certain date because of the schedules of the talent.

Magegg

What you can't argue is some (most) of the coolest scenes on Prometheus come from the Spaiths script. He has a vivid imagination and knew how to impress Ridley with it. I feel thankful for him :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed