Memory – The Origins Of Alien - New Alien Documentary On The Way

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 10, 2018, 05:38:04 AM

Author
Memory – The Origins Of Alien - New Alien Documentary On The Way (Read 59,339 times)

iain

Can't wait to sit down and watch this!

Huggs

So will this be available in the U.S.?

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 29, 2019, 12:17:09 AM
So will this be available in the U.S.?

Or Canada?  We love your Queen, don't forget us.

Corporal Hicks

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 27, 2019, 02:48:43 PMStill holding out hope for a Blu-ray as well.

It's coming out on DVD. No sign of Blu-ray.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed, unfortunately.

Corporal Hicks

Just got my shipping notice for the DVD. I'll chuckle if it's here tomorrow before I go see it at the cinema.

Immortan Jonesy

Corporal Hicks

Please remember we don't allow or advocate piracy here.

Corporal Hicks

QuoteThe later production history is interesting, but has been extensively detailed elsewhere. It's Philippe's deeper psychological excavation that really bears fruit, even if his bibliography gets a bit too indiscriminate (the influence of HP Lovecraft seems more relevant to Alien's icky soulmate The Thing). He joins the dots from Bacon to the Greek Furies, who often hounded children who committed crimes against their creators, their parents; the implication being that the xenomorph is a scourge for over-reaching humanity. Scott, of course, has picked up such Promethean themes in his recent sequels, but it was only the primal power he helped uncork in the first instance that has powered him through these mangled new incarnations.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/aug/30/memory-the-origins-of-alien-review-francis-bacon-greek-myth-dan-o-bannon-sci-fi-classic-film

I enjoyed the doco. It was certainly a different take on Alien and refreshing because of it. I like that O'Bannon got much more focus for his involvement.

HuDaFuK

Neat as well that a lot of it is dedicated to outsiders analysing the various subtexts, which isn't something that's really been featured as heavily ion the existing documentaries. From memory I think Alien Evolution did a bit of that, but certainly not to the same extent.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 02, 2019, 09:21:30 AM
QuoteThe later production history is interesting, but has been extensively detailed elsewhere. It's Philippe's deeper psychological excavation that really bears fruit, even if his bibliography gets a bit too indiscriminate (the influence of HP Lovecraft seems more relevant to Alien's icky soulmate The Thing). He joins the dots from Bacon to the Greek Furies, who often hounded children who committed crimes against their creators, their parents; the implication being that the xenomorph is a scourge for over-reaching humanity. Scott, of course, has picked up such Promethean themes in his recent sequels, but it was only the primal power he helped uncork in the first instance that has powered him through these mangled new incarnations.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/aug/30/memory-the-origins-of-alien-review-francis-bacon-greek-myth-dan-o-bannon-sci-fi-classic-film

I enjoyed the doco. It was certainly a different take on Alien and refreshing because of it. I like that O'Bannon got much more focus for his involvement.

Watched it today and I second the above.
Didn't know O' Bannon and Carpenter had a falling-out so early. A real pity, I think they could've created movie magic together.
Also re-interested in O' Bannon's version of Necronomicon. I read about it a while ago and forgot about it. But his wife brought it up again so now I'm hoping again for a release someday.
And all the other stuff he has written, waiting for the right people to be picked up.

Valaquen

I really haven't had time to write a review, but I got a screener of this a month ago or so. It was interesting, the best parts for me was seeing the excerpts from Memory itself. Otherwise there wasn't much new. The focus on O'Bannon was absolutely welcome. The score for this was great actually (watched it with headphones). But in trying to do something new it goes off on unwelcome tangents. I had flashbacks to sitting in my literary criticism classes at uni. I paused it two or three times to tidy my house  :-[

FenGiddel

I do believe that is one of the most original (and heartfelt) ALIEN-related film reviews I have ever set my eyes upon...  ;D

HuDaFuK

Yeah, while I still far prefer Beast Within overall, I really liked that this had a much more personal feel to it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed