Predator: Hunting Grounds @ PAX West

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 29, 2019, 04:57:36 PM

Author
Predator: Hunting Grounds @ PAX West (Read 17,165 times)

Nameless_1

Nameless_1

So Brungardt is ignoring the fact that Jason was killable in the Friday the 13th game then? And fairly easily too?

Kailem

Little more Predator gameplay:

The Kurgan

The concept could also work for an Alien game if you think about.

Ship or space station, very limited weapons and ressources, different objectives for the crew to fullfill so they can leave the ship or call for help, an alien stalking them.

Kailem

Absolutely. Just replace tree and rooftops with air ducts and crawlspaces.

The Kurgan

Maybe if Hunting Grounds turns out to be a success.

Voodoo Magic

I don't know. A pulse rifle can take out a a xeno easy enough. Unless you want to go just electric prods and flame throwers which aren't very fun. The xeno won't have a projectiles so it's only close combat for them.

I guess the original F13 framework would work, yeah, not action horror but all horror. Where the humans are all unarmed and it's all about survival. Yeah that would fit nicely.

Kailem

Yeah you could possibly do it like Alien Isolation, where it's possible to find items that might stun or drive off the Alien but nothing that can actually kill it.

The Kurgan

No pulse rifles or something that powerful.

Just makeshift weapons like in Isolation to drive it off to regenerate or just a small pistol with limited ammo if you want the keep some real guns in. But so that you can't really kill the alien reliable with it if not special circumstances like top teamwork or an ambush work in your favor.

So yes, the original F13 framwork pretty much.

Still Collating...

It could work great for an Alien game. Just focus it on horror, great dark atmosphere in cool movie like settings and it can work.

Kimarhi

The only problem I see is that a human alien player isn't going to retreat if the weapons can't harm it. 

You'd have to be very clever with your level design to negate a human players tenacity.

If a flamethrower only holds the Alien in place like it does in Isolation for instance, you know that human player isn't going to flee, he's going to wait for the other player to run out of fuel and simply bumrush when it is over.

You'd have to have levels set up in a way where a human player could use the flamethrower, hold the alien, and then close a door, and then design the level where the Alien had to backtrack through the air ducts or subflooring to have his next shot at the human.

Any other way and you have a broke ass game where the human playing the Alien just mauls everyone to death because they can't stop it otherwise. 

I'd have the Alien killable personally, but maybe have the Alien having the respawn ability after capturing other players for host. 

The Kurgan

Yeah, an unkillable Alien would not really work.

They would have to make sure, that a full on assault on the humans would be ill advised for the alien. On the other hand it has to be powerful enought to be a threat.

Kinda have to keep that in balance until one party makes mistake. Not sure if you can balance a game that well.

Still Collating...

Agreed. A killable Alien would solve a lot of problems, just make him tough and give the players few weapons, weak weapons and low ammo. Problem solved, things feel realistic and smooth.

Kailem

What about some sort of video game about Aliens.....versus Predator? I feel like that has potential.

Still Collating...

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kailem on Sep 15, 2019, 08:13:16 AM
What about some sort of video game about Aliens.....versus Predator? I feel like that has potential.

I say why not!  I mean there's no debating AVP is already canon!

Right?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed