20th Century Fox & Netflix Reportedly Made An Alien vs. Predator Anime! And They Had Interest In More Animated Material!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 29, 2020, 09:07:37 PM

Author
20th Century Fox & Netflix Reportedly Made An Alien vs. Predator Anime! And They Had Interest In More Animated Material! (Read 28,006 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SM on Mar 03, 2020, 11:05:45 AM
I reckon if the AvP series was completed they'd be pimping it. 

Was it implied as a series? Because I didn't take it that way.

Quote from: SiL on Mar 03, 2020, 09:55:42 AM
I have a feeling we'll keep getting vague answers until we die :laugh:

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 02, 2020, 04:04:38 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 02, 2020, 01:03:31 AM
The more I think about it the less sense it all makes. Is it even possible in 2020 to have a series like this done & finished without something leaking or getting out?

I was thinking the same thing... but then I thought of Predator Hunting Grounds, where an exclusive Playstation Game came out of nowhere, an announcement accompanied with a reveal trailer, and even us mega-Predator-fans had no idea it was even in the works!  So yes, it IS possible.  :)

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2019/05/09/predator-hunting-grounds-new-multiplayer-predator-game-announced-for-2020/

To play Devil's advocate, it wasn't a completed, ready-for-market game when it was announced, which is what the post makes it sound like for this AvP show. It got a long way in, yes, but they didn't just drop it into stores straight away; getting an animated show to full completion without any mention is a whole other level, and kind of implies they knew they weren't going to release it before they even finished.

Quote from: SM on Mar 03, 2020, 10:06:33 AM
Based on the above Hunting Grounds was announced 10 months ago and it's not out yet.

If dropping in stores right away is your liptmus test, you're not going to find an example because waiting to just drop a game in stores right away without announcement, would be awfully dumb marketing for a game of this magnitude. Nor do I expect this AvP animated movie (if it truly exists) to ultimately be an example of this for you, because if and when it drops on Netflix, there will likely be pre-release fanfare at least a couple months prior, which I believe is only what you need for something like this. Maybe it will / was planned to be timed with Alien Day, similair to the Read/Play/Watch campaign, where the announcing was so close to release, the product was already secretly completed. Because I don't think we're theorizing a major big-budget theatrical release here in hiding. The animation might even be rather cheap. We'll just have to wait and see.

SiL

It's not dropping in stores right away that's the litmus test; it's being able to be dropped into stores. Hunting Ground wasn't announced as a completed product that would be hitting shelves in X weeks, it was announced as a beta.

If this show was completed, then shelved, it makes it sound like they knew they wouldn't release it well before they were finished but, inexplicably, finished anyway?

That would be highly, highly unusual and require some explainin'.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Mar 03, 2020, 12:34:21 PM
It's not dropping in stores right away that's the litmus test; it's being able to be dropped into stores. Hunting Ground wasn't announced as a completed product that would be hitting shelves in X weeks, it was announced as a beta.

If this show was completed, then shelved, it makes it sound like they knew they wouldn't release it well before they were finished but, inexplicably, finished anyway?

That would be highly, highly unusual and require some explainin'.

I only brought up Predator Hunting Grounds to support an affirmative response to 426Buddy's inquiry if it's even possible in 2020 to complete something like this without leaking out. Considering the hundreds of employees Illfonic employs in two states, in an arguably higher profile Playstation Exclusive product, the fact we knew only when their marketing team wanted us to know is proof enough for me.

And there's no dropping in stores in play here. There's no Blu-ray productions and retail shelf pre-orders and release dates to tip their hand. It's only Netflix streaming.  So they can keep this as quiet as Alien Blackout or the Isolation digital series, which both were finished before announcement.

But then again, it ultimately did still leak, just not during production (theoretically).

Timing with Alien Day would not make this unusual, if that originally was the plan. But management has changed. Does Disweyland really want to promote customers to go to Netflix now that they launched Disney+? And does Netflix really want to promote a Disweyland product, after the turmoil over their Marvel shows and Disney+ threatening their customer base? Was it made cheap enough to shelve permanently, whichever side has the overriding power? These are my questions (if it exists).

Corporal Hicks

QuoteFrom what I've heard it didn't even get as far as the Deadpool animated series on FX. Fox/Netflix wanted a studio that helped with the Castlevania series to make a few episodes of AvP to see what they could come up with. The studio was named something like Powerhouse Animations (which even has a working relationship with Disney oddly enough) and it would have been 6 episodes at 30 minutes each. But they might have drawn one or two episodes but the project got canned. Nobody was ever even hired to do voicework.

A comment from the Joblo coverage. No idea who he is.

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/netflix-alien-vs-predator-anime

SiL

SiL

See, this makes a shitload more sense. Pitches, concepts, scripts, sure. Fully animated series completed and sitting on a shelf, no.

Also, for anyone who was around back in the PlanetAvP days, site staffer and all-round good human being Chris Beaver works at Powerhouse Animation, assuming it's the same one (I can only find one, and it's the one he works at).

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 05, 2020, 11:14:25 AM
QuoteFrom what I've heard it didn't even get as far as the Deadpool animated series on FX. Fox/Netflix wanted a studio that helped with the Castlevania series to make a few episodes of AvP to see what they could come up with. The studio was named something like Powerhouse Animations (which even has a working relationship with Disney oddly enough) and it would have been 6 episodes at 30 minutes each. But they might have drawn one or two episodes but the project got canned. Nobody was ever even hired to do voicework.

A comment from the Joblo coverage. No idea who he is.

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/netflix-alien-vs-predator-anime

I missed the "comment" in your post first time around and just read the article saying where the heck is this info?!  :D.

So it's from a user named "Laughing Man". One might be able to set up an account and PM him through his profile and hit him up for more info, if one felt so inclined. It makes it hurt worse knowing now it was a series (if true). Damn. Perhaps this narrative's timeline lines up with Bob Iger coming over and slashing Fox projects.  :-\

SiL

I've messaged someone I know who works at the company. Might get a reply.

Nightmare Asylum

If this comment is accurate then this certainly makes more sense than something completed sitting on a shelf. Still quite curious about all of this, despite my overall disinterest in AVP as a property. Hope you get a response, SiL.

Wysps

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 05, 2020, 04:44:50 PM
If this comment is accurate then this certainly makes more sense than something completed sitting on a shelf. Still quite curious about all of this, despite my overall disinterest in AVP as a property. Hope you get a response, SiL.

My thoughts as well.  Seems more reasonable than a completed animated piece hiding in the vaults somewhere.  Regardless, it's nice to see that an AvP project outside comics/games made it to the pitch stage at least.

D88M

Quote from: SiL on Mar 01, 2020, 11:10:06 AM
I feel trying to make AvP legitimately terrifying would be a waste of energy.

Exciting and tense and suspenseful, sure. Scary, not so much

Yeah, they are pop culture icons now, any halo of mistery and fear is long gone, sadly. The action/suspense route is the way to go it seems.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 01, 2020, 03:23:03 PM
Yeah for me AvP has always felt more like scifi action suspense. I think you could do an amazing small scale straight up horror film with AvP, like one predator and one alien and a great script in between. But I think that would take a real talent to do it right.

YES, in fact i had an idea simmilar to this. Focus on the characters and story, leave the creatures in the background.

Huggs

Huggs

Both creatures are definitely still scary. But it's easy to botch either one or both together with a poor script and by showing them too much or in unflattering conditions (broad daylight).

We don't see big chap too much in Alien 79, and that move is still scary as sh*t to this day. Don't let the audience see or know more than the characters, keep the monsters in the dark where they belong, and put some effort into the writing. I wouldn't doom them to action bug classification yet.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

Enthusiast youtuber had made this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0kihx6GYfg&t=344s
I wonder where he got the AVP anime fan art anime makeover style .They look quite good have a look and tell us if you can if you know where to find those pictures
The video shows several Aliens and Alien3 screenshots redone. as well one from Predator.

hold on found it.
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/07/fine-art-what-aliens-blade-runner-jurassic-park-terminator-would-look-like-as-anime/

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 06, 2020, 01:28:42 AM
Both creatures are definitely still scary. But it's easy to botch either one or both together with a poor script and by showing them too much or in unflattering conditions (broad daylight).

We don't see big chap too much in Alien 79, and that move is still scary as sh*t to this day. Don't let the audience see or know more than the characters, keep the monsters in the dark where they belong, and put some effort into the writing. I wouldn't doom them to action bug classification yet.

I totally agree Huggsy.

Chris Warner gets it, which is why his Predator Hunters comics series is so good...

• CW: "I like to hew close to the first Predator film in terms of style—reality-based action with the Predators being the only fantastical element. And like the first movie, I prefer to keep the Predators fairly inscrutable: the characters have to infer what the monsters are up to. I've always felt that the less we know about the Predators, the more interesting they are. If we're able to get inside the Predators' heads, the stories tend to be just monster fights, not very interesting, in my view."

CW: "I'm not sure how to answer this, but my own philosophy on writing Predator stories is that I'm writing new Predator movies. I try to keep the tone and feel for the stories very much like that of the films. And I think Predator stories function best not just as horror and action, but as suspense and mystery. The tension makes the action and horror work. Too many comic stories today are just wall-to-wall action. I'm sure that's great for original art sales, but I don't think that makes for compelling storytelling. Using another sports analogy, I think that football works so well, especially on television, because of the pauses in the action. As in music, it's about tension and release."

Corporal Hicks

PO did a short further video on it, and clarified they understand it was held up due to legal issues.

The Old One

The Old One

Because of Disney+ then. lol

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed