Didn't care for it (2/5)
39 (15.5%)
It sucked (1/5)
49 (19.5%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Author
The Predator Fan Reviews (Read 91,270 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Oct 05, 2018, 08:55:28 PM
Always funny to see people rank AVP above The Predator  :laugh:

Obviously to each their own, but i suspect a lack of knowledge in cinema in most cases  ;D
I have knowledge of cinema (whatever you think that means) and I'd put AvP above The Predator any day.

predator2rules

predator2rules

So here's my question. While I enjoyed the Predator, if I say in my head when viewing it, "oh yeah I can see why people didn't like it?" does that mean deep down I thought it was crap and I'm in denial.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: burkewhimp on Oct 06, 2018, 03:40:37 AM
So here's my question. While I enjoyed the Predator, if I say in my head when viewing it, "oh yeah I can see why people didn't like it?" does that mean deep down I thought it was crap and I'm in denial.
No, it means you can look at it critically and empathize with others without agreeing with them.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Before the new millennium, the thought of waiting for an Alien or Predator film to show up on home media instead of heading to the box office, was unfathomable. I never did see The Predator at the theater, though I had the intent. With so much negative feedback in various forms, it had me procrastinating each day.

Doesn't help that I've grown a deep aversion towards theaters, maybe I'm just getting old. What most likely sealed the deal though, is one afternoon I was tossing around whether to head to the theater. Instead, I decided to do a replay of Predator 87. I concluded at that point a box office viewing of The Predator would likely leave a bad taste considering the fresh replay of the original still oscillating in my noggin.

Which brings to me to this question to those who have seen it. I rent/buy movies at VUDU. Do you think The Predator is worth a copy purchase or rent only?

The Old One

The Old One

Rent.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

If your a Predator fan, purchase, definitely. Lot's of good stuff in this movie and in my opinion it's much better than the AVPs, and (depending how much you like/dislike the third installment) Predators.

Hudson

Hudson

QuoteWhich brings to me to this question to those who have seen it. I rent/buy movies at VUDU. Do you think The Predator is worth a copy purchase or rent only?

I'm a consumerist slave, so I own a copy of every Alien/Predator movie regardless of my subjective taste in each one, despite the fact that I have never owed 20th Century Fox anything.

I'm particularly intrigued to own The Predator, though, because of the prospect of seeing the footage they replaced.

Nathsp

Nathsp

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 06, 2018, 01:36:11 PM
If your a Predator fan, purchase, definitely. Lot's of good stuff in this movie and in my opinion it's much better than the AVPs, and (depending how much you like/dislike the third installment) Predators.
If you are a predator fan, you will be dissapointed in the joke that creature has become, the dna plot is not only stupid, its also against what preds are, they dont want to upgrade themself, they want a prey worth hunt it, a challenge, and not to speak the aberrations like predalien for they society..
The movie should be burn and erased from existence.
Avp, as bad it can be, its better, has better cgi, better plot, yes its not a joke, better coherence, better climax and movie structure...

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Rent - Old One, Still Collating...
Buy - Hudson, Voodoo Magic, Still Collating...(for set collection purpose)
Skip it - Nathsp

I was sincere when I stated awhile back I respect this community's input more so than many other movie forums. And their input has helped me to decide to rent or purchase in the recent past. I estimate it will be about a month, maybe two, before it surfaces on VUDU. So thanks for the input and keep them coming.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: burkewhimp on Oct 06, 2018, 03:40:37 AM

No brother. There are plenty of films that are considered "Rotten Tomatoes" that still connect with people on various levels.  With a 34% critic rating, it doesnt mean 34% of critics found it to be a perfect film, however it does mean 34% of the critics found enough enjoyment with the picture to recommend it, despite its flaws.  You (and me) are just among that 34% that still found enjoyment with it... actually 44% if you consider audience reviews.

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Oct 06, 2018, 10:12:03 PM
Rent - Old One
Buy - Hudson, Voodoo Magic
Skip it - Nathsp

I was sincere when I stated awhile back I respect this community's input more so than many other movie forums. And their input has helped me to decide to rent or purchase in the recent past. I estimate it will be about a month, maybe two, before it surfaces on VUDU. So thanks for the input and keep them coming.

Happy we can be a help... in our eccentric, unconventional ways!   :D

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: SiL on Oct 06, 2018, 01:09:16 AM

Obviously to each their own, but i suspect a lack of knowledge in cinema in most cases  ;D
I have knowledge of cinema (whatever you think that means) and I'd put AvP above The Predator any day.

I'll stand my ground on this one  :laugh:

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Oct 07, 2018, 09:59:48 AM

Im in the AVP > The Predator camp. It might have been goofy, and too similar to WWE for the actual fights, but it's a better film.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Stitch on Oct 07, 2018, 10:07:55 AM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Oct 07, 2018, 09:59:48 AM

Im in the AVP > The Predator camp. It might have been goofy, and too similar to WWE for the actual fights, but it's a better film.

Whole heartedly disagree.

Still Collating...

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Oct 06, 2018, 10:12:03 PM
Rent - Old One
Buy - Hudson, Voodoo Magic
Skip it - Nathsp

As far as I'm concerned, if you collected all the movies till this point (including the AVPs), than you'll probably want to do the same with this entry, but if you don't have all the movies on DVD or Blue Ray and just want to see the movie, then rent it is what I'd advise.

I have liked all the Alien/Predator/AvP movies till now, have great love for the classics and enjoyed a lot from the newer movies, IMO I saw more good than bad in the newer releases. This is the first movie where the bad outweighs the good IMHO.

As a fan of the franchise and out of sheer curiosity alone, I recommend renting it so that you at least can see for yourself what's it about, but I personally cannot recommend buying it unless you already have a detailed collection of the movies.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Still Collating... on Oct 07, 2018, 01:08:32 PM
As far as I'm concerned, if you collected all the movies till this point (including the AVPs), than you'll probably want to do the same with this entry, but if you don't have all the movies on DVD or Blue Ray and just want to see the movie, then rent it is what I'd advise.

A few years ago my house was destroyed by fire including my entire disc collection (home insurance reimbursed). From that aftermath, I decided to go streaming library. A fire can't destroy your library in the cloud. VUDU does recurring discounts so that dictates a lot of what I collect.

Awhile back, they offered the Alien 6 film collection at a sizable discount and I bought it, but I have only Predator and Predators.....still waiting for Predator 2 and AVP to cycle into the deal of the week (no interest in collecting AVPR). I have bought a few new arrivals at full price. It's trying to estimate what new arrivals are worth the risk regarding purchase or rent.

-----------
Side note........To go off subject a bit regarding a house fire. Here's advice to share in the unfortunate event you have a major fire. Don't throw anything away! Ever! Over the last several years, I had accumulated a large stack of old or broken disc players, tape players, old audio equipment, broke TV's, small appliances, etc. I don't know why I didn't just pitch them. I just threw them all on a storage shelf in the basement.

After the fire, Home insurance had to reimburse me on all those devices. They didn't even ask me if they were broken. They depreciated them, but still had to reimburse. They were not even touched by the fire (the flame destruction was mostly upstairs), but they were declared totaled because of smoke saturation. Home insurance has to guarantee there will no residual smoke smell after they rebuild. So they pretty much condemned everything.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed