Neill Blomkamp Shares New Alien 5 Concept Art

Started by RidgeTop, Dec 27, 2017, 04:04:57 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp Shares New Alien 5 Concept Art (Read 74,016 times)

ANerdyGuy

ANerdyGuy

Please someone has to be logical. Covenant was such a big let down and it is obvious that blomkamp loves the alien much more than ridley scott. Can someone be rational and let blomkamp do the work he likes?

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: Beatnation on Dec 28, 2017, 09:16:29 PM

Indiana didn't die in The Last Crusade or in The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, he's pretty much alive, Ripley died in Fiorina "Fury" 161, her story it's done, get over it.

Exactly.

They brought her back once before in Alien Resurrection, they even made a joke about it in that movie "I thought you were dead"  "Yeah I get that a lot". 

That line of dialogue was more prophetic than they thought.  :D

Huggs

" it is obvious that blomkamp loves the alien much more than ridley scott. Can someone be rational and let blomkamp do the work he likes?"

In no way do I mean to be critical or insulting, but love for something does not equate to the ability to deliver a quality product. N.B. could be the biggest Alien fan on earth, but that doesn't mean he's got what it takes to make a good Alien film, or that his ideas will be any good. The Ripley inclusion is the big eye roller for me.

It's just my opinion, but it's really a hard sell bringing back Weaver and crew. The movies were made, and Ripley, Hicks, and Newt died. They were good solid characters, but they were human beings. Stuff happened, they died. Bringing them back would feel like some sort of novelty. Gibson's Alien 3 is always there if anyone wants to know what happened if they all survived. But really, there's a nearly unlimited supply of new characters that could be created.

Think of it this way, "a new direction, in an actual Alien movie". No deviation by creating some prequel series that is all over the road, not some continuation of the previous alien films with the same old characters, but a brand new Alien movie with new characters. Novels and comics are written all the time that have nothing to do with Ripley, and nobody freaks out. I'm old enough to remember Alien 3 being considered the end of Ripley's character. The cloning thing was weird enough, but retconning entire films just to include dead characters adds restrictions on the kind of film that can be made. I'd rather any new "true" Alien film have as much creative room as possible.

But should it happen, dollars will get you doughnuts it would be throwback city. Newt would wind up saying the "mostly at night" line, and probably run across some orphaned girl who'd she'd protect, and probably sing "you are my lucky star" to. Thus becoming the new Ripley. It would just be too cheesy. Gads, can we not and say we didn't?

JungleHunter87

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 29, 2017, 12:11:40 AM
But should it happen, dollars will get you doughnuts it would be throwback city. Newt would wind up saying the "mostly at night" line, and probably run across some orphaned girl who'd she'd protect, and probably sing "you are my lucky star" to. Thus becoming the new Ripley. It would just be too cheesy. Gads, can we not and say we didn't?

There is no way of knowing that is Blomkamp's intention. Yes, we've seen concept art of Ripley, Hicks and Adult Newt. However, there have been no real story points thrown out into the open. We're not even sure how he'd do the film without retconning it or if he will go ahead in another direction? I wouldn't be so quick too peg his film as a pure nostalgia trip for nostalgia's sake.

Biomechanoid

The word "probably" is a fanboy's best friend.

Huggs

Huggs

"You have to give the David character a proper ending first. "

I never thought about it until now but, wouldn't the ending to Covenant be considered a good ending for David already? He goes out on top. He created his perfect organism. He managed to escape paradise, and set off into the sun with his own well-equipped ship, thousands of human hosts to further experiment with, and a workable/manageable destination to head towards. And he got away with all of dirty stuff he did. He's the Jack Sparrow of space, sailing his beloved pearl towards the setting sun. He won. It's kind of the best time to go out.

"I wouldn't be so quick too peg his film as a pure nostalgia trip for nostalgia's sake."

"The word "probably" is a fanboy's best friend"

That's a valid point. But one can expect certain things from Hollywood. Newt singing lucky star to an orphaned girl isn't out of the question. How many characters have said the, "come with me if you want to live" line in the terminator movies? Didn't David quote Blade Runner? Lines have been repeated in the predator movies, and many others. Easter egg connections to previous films for nostalgic reasons is far from uncommon. I could see that kind of stuff happening in N.B.'s Alien 5. Not because I dislike his films, but because I'd expect moments like that to be included when you're already bringing back dead characters. And can we not throw the word "fanboys" around, it's rather negative.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 29, 2017, 01:01:55 AM
And can we not throw the word "fanboys" around, it's rather negative.
I embrace the fanboy in me. If it wasn't for my inner fanboy, there's quite a bit of the film entertainment venue I would have missed out. Sorry to see you have the fanboy in you painted in such a negative light.

N-Shifter

Blomkamps movie was never about Ripley until Sigourney showed interest in his movie idea when talking to her on the set of Chappie, it was her enthusiasm for coming back that got "Ripley" into the artwork. I'd be fine with letting him make the movie he originally wanted to make before Sigourney got involved.

Scorpio

Then why this retcon bs, why not just make a sequel to Alien 4?

Gash

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 29, 2017, 02:18:01 AM

Very few people care about a continuation from Resurrection. Logically Blomkamp is choosing the more popular stepping off point. I dislike the idea, but Weaver might be to blame for that.

Scorpio

Weaver nixed the idea of bringing back Hicks and Newt in the first place.  Why would she change her mind?

SM

Quote from: Gash on Dec 29, 2017, 02:23:38 AM

Very few people care about a continuation from Resurrection. Logically Blomkamp is choosing the more popular stepping off point. I dislike the idea, but Weaver might be to blame for that.

She was eager to do a different take on Ripley in Resurrection.  She'd be eager to do yet another in an alternate Aliens sequel.

Gash

Quote from: SM on Dec 29, 2017, 02:35:05 AM

She was eager to do a different take on Ripley in Resurrection.  She'd be eager to do yet another in an alternate Aliens sequel.

I imagine it's the most profitable role for her.

whiterabbit

This is all I have to say on the matter.

I want Alien Resurrection Ripley 2! I want. I want. I waaaaaant! With colonial marines of course. Ripley gives rise to a new generation of human-alien spices. New born if you will. A totally dark, twisted and royally f**king terrifying sequel. I've seen District 9 so I know bloomkamp can do f**king disgusting very well. Grow up man and do a proper alien sequel. Let the past go, man.

Russ

Logically Blomkamp is choosing the more popular stepping off point.

100%

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed