Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers*

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 17, 2017, 10:11:32 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers* (Read 397,850 times)

DorkiDori

i wish we could get some explanation as to what exactly happened to Shaw and why her head was being morphed into something... else

i really liked the Giger influence behind her head piece, but just wanna know what it all is ;)

proto leech

Quote from: bobby brown on Dec 11, 2017, 04:54:14 PM
Quote from: Whos_Nick on Dec 10, 2017, 04:33:30 PM
The xeno suit looks great why paint over it

To evade the guy in a suit vibe which is extremely difficult to avoid.

rather have guy in suit vibe over obvious cgi cartoon vibe honestly. they hired javier botet and barely utilized him

bobby brown

Well, that's you. A Purist on the Webb. But this movie was made for a wide audience, as all major franchise movies are, and suit effects simply don't cut it anymore with the general audience.

Corporal Hicks

General audience probably doesn't care how the effect is achieved as long as it looks good. I'm the same. While I appreciate the work that goes into both and have a soft spot for the practical, ultimately as long as the end result is good I really don't mind practical or digital.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://www.khang-le.com/alien-convenant.html

Not sure if he worked on the film or not. Trying to find out.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: bobby brown on Dec 12, 2017, 11:13:31 AM
But this movie was made for a wide audience, as all major franchise movies are, and suit effects simply don't cut it anymore with the general audience.

Practical effects, as much as the some prefer them over CGI, seems to be struggling to keep a foothold in the industry. A good example is the The Thing 2011. I read an article on it where ADI took on a major project providing all the practical effects. The studio showed the film to a test audience and their main issue was the effects looked fake or unsatisfying. So the studio replaced most of it with CGI. Hindsight, that didn't save that film from poor box office and negative reviews, but this example does endorse your point that the wider audience no longer finds practical effects satisfying.

skhellter

^ Not really.

In that film's case, maybe the special effects were just shot poorly.
That film had a very inexperienced director.

Nobody seems to complain much about the practical effects in Del Toro films.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 12, 2017, 04:29:25 PM

Wow! I seriously hope not! but not because his art is bad (actually is pretty cool) but because it would be a real shame, if this was officially scrapped from the final product :( (some of the designs are better than what we have in the final film, and the whole thing looks more like Prometheus 2)

Biomechanoid

Quote from: skhellter on Dec 12, 2017, 04:38:12 PM
^ Not really.

Understood, which is why I stated that lone example simply endorsed bobby's point. It wasn't my intent that it was conclusive overall.

skhellter

Seems to be legit. Images are Dated 2014. Around the time that Huante was working on the film, too.

KiramidHead

Quote from: skhellter on Dec 12, 2017, 04:38:12 PM
^ Not really.

And ADI's retort with Harbinger Down didn't help.

Whos_Nick

Biomechanoid

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 12, 2017, 06:29:51 PM
And ADI's retort with Harbinger Down didn't help.
That kickstarter project had good intentions, but you're right, it was a big miss in their attempt to showcase practical effects, imo.

bobby brown

:o :o :o :o :o WOOOOOW. this is so cool it should be front news!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed