Titan Books Unveils Novels Aliens: Vasquez By Author V. Castro

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 24, 2022, 04:22:54 PM

Author
Titan Books Unveils Novels Aliens: Vasquez By Author V. Castro (Read 36,608 times)

BlueMarsalis79

razeak

I worked in a female prison.  None of this sounds out of line with reality from a motherhood pov from my experiences there. There are a million levels of experiences that may not fit your biases. Vasquez can easily fit into any one of them.

Maybe it will touch on her relationship with Drake some. Maybe they go back further. Maybe it actually turns out well written and is enjoyable in a vacuum. Maybe her kids get some good character development.

I mean....most of us enjoyed the book where the Avatar style synthetic sucked off a facehugger lmao.  I doubt Vazquez being a mother is stranger. I mean.....the movie that spawned her was about motherhood and family bonds fighting against a twisted version of that.

NoStyleDutch

NoStyleDutch

Quote from: razeak on Mar 28, 2022, 01:29:26 AM
I worked in a female prison.  None of this sounds out of line with reality from a motherhood pov from my experiences there. There are a million levels of experiences that may not fit your biases. Vasquez can easily fit into any one of them.

This!!

Murfy426

Best of luck to Castro but I'm definitely not scrambling to get my hands on this. Personally I'd have been more excited to see what she could do with an entirely new story with original characters, rather than a story that's leaning on the crutch provided by a beloved legacy character. This fandom is clearly growing weary of it even if the author has the best of intentions.

This just seems like it'll play out very similarly to the reception of the recent Boba Fett series. Stripping away the mystery of a character just to capitalise on creative bankruptcy. 

For Christ sake two pages of this thread were dedicated to discussing Vasquez' sexuality. We never cared about that when we grew up watching her character, it was her heart and grit that we grew to love and the fact that she was a truly ultimate badass that never faltered when facing certain death.

I hope I'm wrong and the book is a success but it's near impossible to ignore the warning signs presented.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 24, 2022, 04:28:49 PM
Please no more "family members of established characters stumble upon Aliens" stories, I beg you.

Agreed, I was on the fence about Amanda Ripley but the game atleast gave her a fairly decent reason for her to bump into the Aliens.

I can't say it will be the same here.

Kradan

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 28, 2021, 04:45:41 PM
https://perfectorganism.podbean.com/e/169-the-risk-always-lives-interviewing-jenette-goldstein/

Haven't listened to it yet but goddamn - looks like they've gotten Vasquez herself on the show !  :o

Only now getting around to listening this one. Jenette brings some great insights of her character which is especially interesting in the light of this book coming out

VN1X

Quote from: Murfy426 on Mar 28, 2022, 02:58:13 PM
For Christ sake two pages of this thread were dedicated to discussing Vasquez' sexuality. We never cared about that when we grew up watching her character, it was her heart and grit that we grew to love and the fact that she was a truly ultimate badass that never faltered when facing certain death.

I hope I'm wrong and the book is a success but it's near impossible to ignore the warning signs presented.
Couldn't have said it better.

Corporal Hicks

Combat Zone Drop: V. Castro on Aliens: Vasquez

QuoteThe Aliens universe is constantly expanding as new comics, video games, movies, and books are created. With each text, the IP's lore is built upon and fined tuned, creating an epic canon that speaks to fans of a variety of interests and backgrounds. Cult favourite Aliens marine, Jenette Vasquez, is set to receive her own, fleshed out, backstory in the upcoming novel Aliens: Vasquez written by V. Castro. Castro, known for her works Goddess of Filth (2021), The Queen of the Cicadas (2021), and Mestiza Blood (2022), talks about her forthcoming novel with this interview.

VeteranSergeant

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 06:44:35 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Mar 26, 2022, 06:07:06 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 04:40:36 AM
Quote from: skhellter on Mar 26, 2022, 04:32:51 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 04:31:59 AM
Eyeing ripley up and down doesn't necessarily mean it was attraction.
...while remarking on how pretty Ripley is. lol

jesus. :laugh:
When?!
Who is Snow White ?
I always took that as mockery 🤷‍♂️
Snow White (as depicted in the 1937 Disney movie) has pale skin and short dark hair. I don't think it was even mocking. Ripley literally just looks a lot like Snow White.

Engineer

Quote from: VeteranSergeant on Apr 27, 2022, 12:05:34 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 06:44:35 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Mar 26, 2022, 06:07:06 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 04:40:36 AM
Quote from: skhellter on Mar 26, 2022, 04:32:51 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 04:31:59 AM
Eyeing ripley up and down doesn't necessarily mean it was attraction.
...while remarking on how pretty Ripley is. lol

jesus. :laugh:
When?!
Who is Snow White ?
I always took that as mockery 🤷‍♂️
Snow White (as depicted in the 1937 Disney movie) has pale skin and short dark hair. I don't think it was even mocking. Ripley literally just looks a lot like Snow White.
So a hispanic character, referencing Snow White when referring to a very pale white woman doesn't sound like mockery to you?

VeteranSergeant

Aside from the fact that the Marines in general had a fairly disdainful attitude towards civilians, I don't really see it as "mocking" to say "Hey, she looks like Snow White," any more than people aren't mocking me when they say I look kind of like Ryan Gosling, to which I usually joke "The cheapest Ryan Gosling lookalike you could hire for your Netflix Original movie" which is mocking.

Doesn't really matter that Vasquez is Hispanic. She can still understand who Snow White is and make the association with Ripley's appearance, and use the name since she doesn't actually know who Ripley is, but thinks Ferro might (which infers that Vasquez went into cryo before Ferro and Ripley).

Maybe I just don't immediately get offended by every inference made to someone's personal appearance in a generic associative fashion. Suggesting someone looks like Snow White wouldn't typically be considered an insult without some other demeaning context (such as her being pale, or helpless, etc). But there's no such context in that scene. She's literally asking it to another pale skinned white woman with short hair, who doesn't have any similarity to Snow White, but whose name she does know and is familiar with. She even then sarcastically says "How pretty" which is a reference to Snow White being the "fairest of them all."

There's clearly a middle ground between skhellter and Kradan projecting sexual attraction onto the scene and you projecting a racially motivated insult.  That middle ground being "Who's the woman who kinda looks like that Disney character?"

Engineer

Quote from: VeteranSergeant on Apr 27, 2022, 12:50:14 AM
Aside from the fact that the Marines in general had a fairly disdainful attitude towards civilians, I don't really see it as "mocking" to say "Hey, she looks like Snow White," any more than people aren't mocking me when they say I look kind of like Ryan Gosling, to which I usually joke "The cheapest Ryan Gosling lookalike you could hire for your Netflix Original movie" which is mocking.

Doesn't really matter that Vasquez is Hispanic. She can still understand who Snow White is and make the association with Ripley's appearance, and use the name since she doesn't actually know who Ripley is, but thinks Ferro might (which infers that Vasquez went into cryo before Ferro and Ripley).

Maybe I just don't immediately get offended by every inference made to someone's personal appearance in a generic associative fashion. Suggesting someone looks like Snow White wouldn't typically be considered an insult without some other demeaning context (such as her being pale, or helpless, etc). But there's no such context in that scene. She's literally asking it to another pale skinned white woman with short hair, who doesn't have any similarity to Snow White, but whose name she does know and is familiar with. She even then sarcastically says "How pretty" which is a reference to Snow White being the "fairest of them all."

There's clearly a middle ground between skhellter and Kradan projecting sexual attraction onto the scene and you projecting a racially motivated insult.  That middle ground being "Who's the woman who kinda looks like that Disney character?"

To be clear, it's not something I found immediately offensive. But I did always interpret that as a macho-istic  jab at a white woman who she viewed as a pansy, or in this context, hasn't proven herself in Vasquez's eyes the same way ferro has. It's the same sort of banter that went on in the high school locker room; I've had people take jabs at me for being white, but it wasn't something I necessarily took as racist, just banter. Most of those guys were good friends of mine, so I knew they were kidding around and I laughed about it with them too... this scene, honestly, just reminded me of that sort of banter more than anything else...

Stitch

I think it's less racially charged than you're implying, and more military vs civvies.

Snow White has dark hair and pale skin, like Ripley, but is a Disney princess who lives in a world where forest creatures dance around with her, with a father who protects her in a castle away from harm. Prior to the wicked Queen escapade, anyway. There's also a purity allegory. White is seen as unsullied and pure.

Basically, Vasquez sees this woman invading her space who looks like plain white bread, and presumes she's never been in any form of danger. Therefore she can't work out why Ripley is there, and automatically goes into mockery mode, because Ripley isn't part of her team.

I don't see any sexual attraction, nor any racially charged animosity. It's just 'who's this greenhorn that hasn't even been through basic?'.

Engineer

Quote from: Stitch on Apr 27, 2022, 06:59:42 AM

I think it's less racially charged than you're implying, and more military vs civvies.

Snow White has dark hair and pale skin, like Ripley, but is a Disney princess who lives in a world where forest creatures dance around with her, with a father who protects her in a castle away from harm. Prior to the wicked Queen escapade, anyway. There's also a purity allegory. White is seen as unsullied and pure.

Basically, Vasquez sees this woman invading her space who looks like plain white bread, and presumes she's never been in any form of danger. Therefore she can't work out why Ripley is there, and automatically goes into mockery mode, because Ripley isn't part of her team.

I don't see any sexual attraction, nor any racially charged animosity. It's just 'who's this greenhorn that hasn't even been through basic?'.

I think I'm doing a bad job of articulating myself here, but no I don't think it's THAT racially charged. I'm not saying she's racist. Clearly she's not. But I don't think it's a coincidence she picked Snow White out of every Disney princess out there. It was a reference to her appearance, a superficial comment. One that seemed more like mockery of who she was to me than anything else.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed