Possibly the best analysis of the film I've read

Started by JaaayDee, Jun 09, 2012, 07:02:48 AM

Author
Possibly the best analysis of the film I've read (Read 42,709 times)

Cavalorn

Quote from: ScardyFox on Jun 09, 2012, 12:02:48 PM
Its funny how opinions are. Personally I am not impressed with this review at all. Not to say its bad just kinda reachy for conclusions.

Yes, that's the intention. Faced with a movie that contains so much subtext, my preferred response is to bring it to light and see what it can potentially tell us about the film's underlying meaning. To do that, you HAVE to take leaps and make inferences. It's Ridley Scott, after all... origami unicorns anyone? :)

I'm not asking people to agree with my conclusions, but I would hope that pointing some of the non-obvious symbolism out (I completely missed the Christmas aspect on my first run at this, for example) would at least be an interesting contribution.

ScardyFox

Quote from: Cavalorn on Jun 09, 2012, 12:08:44 PM
Quote from: ScardyFox on Jun 09, 2012, 12:02:48 PM
Its funny how opinions are. Personally I am not impressed with this review at all. Not to say its bad just kinda reachy for conclusions.

Yes, that's the intention. Faced with a movie that contains so much subtext, my preferred response is to bring it to light and see what it can potentially tell us about the film's underlying meaning. To do that, you HAVE to take leaps and make inferences. It's Ridley Scott, after all... origami unicorns anyone? :)

I'm not asking people to agree with my conclusions, but I would hope that pointing some of the non-obvious symbolism out (I completely missed the Christmas aspect on my first run at this, for example) would at least be an interesting contribution.

Don't get me wrong, its clearly a great contribution because it stimulates discussions. I just find some of your conclusions a bit odd or like "why would you think that?". Sorry if I am coming across as snippy or anything rude - I am sincerely not being in my post.  As aforementioned anything that gets people talking is a good thing.

VickersAsh

great analysis. but i can't help but laugh at Space Jesus theory

ThisBethesdaSea

Thing is.....science fiction movies without.....it's still Space Jesus.

Some god in some dimension impregnates a young girl with his seed. You can't get more 'space alien' than that.

meanstreak

So Ridley and Lindeloff put all this thought and deep epic meanings and symbols/themes into the movie, but couldn't grasp how idiotic it looked that Shaw and Vickers first try to outrun the falling ship, then it takes Shaw only a few rolls to get out of the way, yet Vickers just lays there and lets it crush her?

NGR01

Quote from: meanstreak on Jun 09, 2012, 01:47:08 PM
So Ridley and Lindeloff put all this thought and deep epic meanings and symbols/themes into the movie, but couldn't grasp how idiotic it looked that Shaw and Vickers first try to outrun the falling ship, then it takes Shaw only a few rolls to get out of the way, yet Vickers just lays there and lets it crush her?

Well some choose to look the other way...  ;D

killingvector

NGR01, there are definitely execution and script issues in the film. I have to echo your initial thoughts a week or so back. Felt the same way. But this journal post presents some interesting subtext to frame the storyline. It is quite a rich storyline with so much history, mythology, and religion underlying the actions of the Engineers and crew of the Prometheus. I admit, this gives me more faith in the filmmakers that they knew what they were doing. Unfortunately, they dropped the ball on basic execution of pacing, characterization, and plotting.

maledoro

Jeebus was a space alien. I've been sayin' that fer years.

orchidal

orchidal

What if years down the road we begin to view this film, Prometheus, as more allegorically scripted than we now realizes...in that case, many of the more convenient plot devices can surely be overlooked.

Personally I love this film as a stand-alone sci-fi story....I'm not sure how to categorize it in the Alien mythos yet, however.
Only time
will tell.

Ninurta

As I've said before, these guys wanting to kill us all for killing Jesus reminds me of a group that tried to kill all the Jews, who are also often blamed for killing Jesus, about 70 years ago.

It all makes me call these Jockeys "Giant Space Nazis".

They are white as whtie can get, they are big and scary, they like weapons of mass destruction, and into Genocide.
Also, the nazis before WWII were very deeply into the occult belief that ET "gods" had engineered humanity, and that they were doing the bidding of the Engineers. - they also killed 6 million of the same people who are blamed for killing Jesus.

That is only scratching the surface. I bet there is a lot more symbolism.

ScardyFox

Quote from: Ninurta on Jun 09, 2012, 02:43:23 PM
As I've said before, these guys wanting to kill us all for killing Jesus reminds me of a group that tried to kill all the Jews, who are also often blamed for killing Jesus, about 70 years ago.

They are white as whtie can get, they are big and scary, they like weapons of mass destruction, and into Genocide.
Also, the nazis before WWII were very deeply into the occult belief that ET "gods" had engineered humanity, and that they were doing the bidding of the Engineers. - they also killed 6 million of the same people who are blamed for killing Jesus.

Eh, its almost like you're implying Jews were killed because they were the people that killed Christ (to sum it up). There was zero religious aspect in this.

Ninurta

Quote from: ScardyFox on Jun 09, 2012, 03:00:00 PM

Eh, its almost like you're implying Jews were killed because they were the people that killed Christ (to sum it up). There was zero religious aspect in this.

Saying Jews have been murdered because they are blamed for killing Jesus is untrue?

Are you saying there was no religious aspects in Prometheus?

ScardyFox

Quote from: Ninurta on Jun 09, 2012, 03:03:02 PM

Saying Jews have been murdered because they are blamed for killing Jesus is untrue?

You are actually implying that Jews, in Nazi Germany, were killed for religious reasons?

Ninurta

Quote from: ScardyFox on Jun 09, 2012, 03:13:53 PM

You are actually implying that Jews, in Nazi Germany, were killed for religious reasons?

Nobody is saying there were not a scapegoat for many other things too.

Are you saying that it was a non-factor?

So far as I know is still IS a major factor in Anti-Semitism.

ScardyFox

Quote from: Ninurta on Jun 09, 2012, 03:16:22 PM
Quote from: ScardyFox on Jun 09, 2012, 03:13:53 PM

Nobody is saying there were not a scapegoat for many other things too.

Are you saying that it was a non-factor?

So far as I know is still IS a major factor in Anti-Semitism.

Wow...

I don't even know where to begin. Did you just kinda make this up in your mind? Because even in the effed up school systems of today you will not find anywhere that say the Jews were persecuted for relegious (in Nazi Germany) reasons nor that is why the holocoaust happened in any way. Its funny because I was just talking about this a couple weeks ago. I was mentioning that its sickening that in the UK (and now some places in America) they will no longer teach about the Holocaust so as not to offend muslims (source because its so insane it seems like it MUST be a lie). I was worried because its only a matter of time before what and why is distorted. Seems it happens a lot sooner than I expected.

No, what happened to the jews has ZERO to do with religious reasons.

Hitler killed the Jewsish for more than one reason. The political reason given was that the Jews were aligned with the Bolshevik revolution in Russia therefore being communist. Communists were hated in Germany for not only their brutality but for what, they feared, was a totalitarian state in which there would be little freedom and the German culture and society would be radically changed, and everyone would suffer a lower standard of living.

The Jewish people also held a LOT of Germany's wealth through banks and other offical means that - in a free society - meant they held a HELL of a lot of power. this is why their freedoms were eroded fast and ability to own anything eroded almost over night. This is why in part Hitler believed admantly that the Jewish people were planing on taking over the world.

Nazi propagandists began to portray the Jew as the epitome of all evil and the reason for all the defeat and societal ills in Germany. He reasoned that their influence was degenerating Germany and its peoples`, and that they were why Germany lost WWI. Tainted the fine arts, bringing in disease through defiling bloodlines, introducing communism, etc etc.

Man I could go but I won't bother because this isn't the forums for that. Honestly, if you bother to argue with me you are only solidifying that you know nothing about history in that particular arena and area of time. Do yourself a favor and go read some books on it rather then blaming total untruths. What you're saying is slanderous on an unbelievable level and cast a deceitful shadow on something that should be remembered in absolute truth.

It was a total non factor.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed