From Script to Screen: Predator 2 - Biggest Differences From First Draft to Finished Film

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 04, 2022, 02:54:18 PM

Author
From Script to Screen: Predator 2 - Biggest Differences From First Draft to Finished Film (Read 1,564 times)

Corporal Hicks

For the first time ever a copy of the first draft of the script for Predator 2 is now available to find in the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Downloads section! Thanks to the persuasive power of community member Kane Gilbert T. (aka Sonny Bryan), we were able to transcribe images taken of the complete script from the collection of Predator fan Predain (aka Ian). 

Before we talk about some of the differences between this first draft and the finished film, I do want to be very clear that this isn't a script containing Dutch. There was never a complete draft of a script for Predator 2 that included Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Dutch, but there was a somewhat complete script. 

Speaking of that early version of Predator 2 to Alien vs. Predator Galaxy, Predator 2 director Stephen Hopkins told us that after signing onto direct the film he was handed a mostly complete 60-page draft of a Predator 2 script that featured both Dutch and Harrigan. That script was never completed, for reasons ranging from the Writers’ Strike in 1988 to Arnold's decision to not do the film, but that’s a subject for another article! 

The Big Apple – Location and Time

What we have for you today is the first completed draft of Predator 2, dated October 6th 1989, featuring Detective Mike Harrigan as the main character. The first major difference in this draft is that it was set entirely in New York, with the opening scene taking place in the notorious Hell's Kitchen.  

The second draft, dated December 15th, 1989, saw the location change to Los Angles as seen in the finished film, along with an opening sequence that plays out the same as in the film. In fact, there were very little actual significant changes from that second draft to the finished film. 

From Script to Screen: Predator 2 - Biggest Differences From First Draft to Finished Film

Click here to continue reading.

Make sure you stick with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator news! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

SuperiorIronman

That's an interesting read. I think the smaller throwing disks described are a kind of neat idea. I can see why it might get cut but I'd be for bringing these things back. From the description it feels to me like a precursor to what would become the shuriken in AVP.

Darkness

Great work. I did start making a pdf of this myself but got sidetracked and forgot about it all.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Dec 04, 2022, 03:46:42 PMThat's an interesting read. I think the smaller throwing disks described are a kind of neat idea. I can see why it might get cut but I'd be for bringing these things back. From the description it feels to me like a precursor to what would become the shuriken in AVP.

I thought they were interesting too. I definitely thought they were in as a replacement for the smart disk until I got to it. Seemed a weird choice having both, and I'm glad they got rid. I didn't get the shuriken feel myself though. They seemed a little un-interesting if I'm being honest.

Quote from: Darkness on Dec 04, 2022, 05:43:27 PMGreat work. I did start making a pdf of this myself but got sidetracked and forgot about it all.

It did take me a while. I do tend to get a little bored doing the transcriptions/reformatting like that. But I got there! Nice to be able to have this out, and thanks again to Ian and Sonny!

Whiskeybrewer

If Marvel ever picks up the Original Screenplay idea from DH, this would be a great one to do

bendinglight

Late to this thread but finished the YT video and wanted to say thank you to Corporal Hicks. You did a fantastic job!

Corporal Hicks

Thanks, bendinglight! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed