Alien 5 won't be titled Alien 5, won't tread on Prometheus 2

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Mar 21, 2015, 02:48:51 PM

Author
Alien 5 won't be titled Alien 5, won't tread on Prometheus 2 (Read 74,370 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Apr 05, 2015, 11:19:54 PM
I kinda knew you'd come along with that stuff again. 'Godzilla'. 'Robocop'. You'd put these things on the same level as Alien? Might as well throw Scooby-Doo in there, too.  :P

Didn't you get your medical license revoked for a morphine addiction?

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 05, 2015, 11:21:21 PM
"On the same level" is all a matter of opinion. Whatever your opinion of these other film series, the basis for such a partial retcon is hardly a new concept.

Hardly new, certainly, and I suppose easily taken in stride by the comic book community. I guess my failing is that a part of me still sees the Alien series as a series of serious films. But maybe I should have let that go post- Alien 3.

Nightmare Asylum

If anything, I'd argue that being "serious" films would allow for even more leeway in terms of "continuity." Why struggle to try to come up with come comic booky explanation for things when you can just ignore what doesn't work for your story? Let each director give their own personal take on the franchise to the best of their ability without having to be bogged down by what someone else did that they don't personally care for.

NickisSmart

That's what Cameron did with Aliens. : )

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Apr 05, 2015, 11:09:44 PMI'm personally not clinging to anything - I've had nothing invested in the series, really, since the end credits of Alien 3. But at some point, Blomkamp is going to have to stand up and say 'yes, this is an alternate timeline', or 'no, I've thought of a way to work around 3 & 4'...

Yeah, this.

Kel G 426

QuoteWhatever problems Alien3 and AR had, they respected the continuity.

LOL no.

Magic egg.

predxeno

Which was fixed by an explanation from A:CM, which arguably added more fuel to the fire in terms of how the fan community is concerned. :P

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Kelgaard on Apr 06, 2015, 10:00:57 PM

LOL no.

Magic egg.

I always imagined the queen just shoots 'em out like the ping-pong ball girl in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.  :D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kelgaard on Apr 06, 2015, 10:00:57 PM

LOL no.

Magic egg.

Which is easily fixable. Just a shame they didn't put effort into conveying it.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 05, 2015, 11:02:43 PM
And he has been pretty explicit in saying it's Alien, then Aliens, then his film.

People are clinging way too much to his mention that he's not trying to undo 3 and Res, which in the context he said it in came across as "I'm not doing my movie just to retcon the third and fourth films, I just want to follow up on Aliens the way I'd like to see the story go."

Whilst I still dislike the idea of the alternate universe - it's still the only way the only way Blomkamp can go with what he's said of his intentions so far.

Clemens, you can find all the recent news here: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/category/alien-5-news/

He doesn't explicitly say it but it seems pretty damn inevitable with his comments so far.

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 05, 2015, 09:31:41 PM
People still worship Ridley now even after Prometheus. When it comes to canon, it has never been about using fair, unbiased standards and it has always been about some shallow popularity contest, and apparently Riddles is still at the top.

Not entirely true - http://www.metacritic.com/movie/prometheus 6.5 from users and critics.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Indeed, but many fans of the series still do worship Scott. :P

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 07, 2015, 08:25:45 AM
Clemens, you can find all the recent news here: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/category/alien-5-news/

Oh not to worry, I definitely know where the news is - though I don't post a lot, I visit the site every day. I just had to call Predxeno out on his 'Blomkamp has stated upfront that his film will take place in an alternate universe'.

predxeno

It's hardly a call out since that's most likely where things will go anyway.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 07, 2015, 10:13:33 PM
It's hardly a call out since that's most likely where things will go anyway.

'Most likely' ain't facts!  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Completely agree - he hasn't stated that outright. Nor do I expect him to do for a while.

But I do believe it's the only way the film is going to go to with what information we have available to us.

Son Of Kane

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 06, 2015, 10:29:56 PM
Which was fixed by an explanation from A:CM, which arguably added more fuel to the fire in terms of how the fan community is concerned. :P

No one considers that a fix, nobody.

The context of the Alien 3 Blu-Ray Menu is the real official fix if there must be one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed