Female Predator in Predator hunting grounds

Started by The Cruentus, Dec 30, 2019, 06:38:55 PM

Do you agree with the current look of a female Predator? (breasts, narrower body)

No, they shouldn't have breasts or any other female human like body proportions.
16 (25.4%)
Yes.
22 (34.9%)
Meh, not bothered.
23 (36.5%)
I don't know.
2 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author
Female Predator in Predator hunting grounds (Read 24,300 times)

The Cruentus

Pandering to wider audiences rarely goes well, AVP being pg13 for example, while the movie had tons of other issues, the lack of iconic violence from those two violent species is definitely noticable. From a business standpoint, I can see their point but trying to reach beyond the fandom and lore, they are just going to make things worse. I personally hate that trend, its becoming more frequent in video games. RPGs get watered down to appeal to average gamers instead of sticking to their audience so to speak.

Voodoo Magic

Luckily to the majority who either like it or are not bothered about it, theres not an upswell feeling of pandering nor 'not sticking to their audience'. This poll that we're voting on IS their audience, plus likely some Alien leaning fans who have no intentions to play this game or commit to a product that is strictly Predator. And all the while, if you put a PG-13 vs R poll in here, the results would most certainly, overwhelmingly favor R.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

What I meant was that the going for the wider audience and thus pg rating was done out of money, I didn't mean to say that was pandering as most fans would certainly prefer R rating. Poor and wrong choice of words on my part  :P

Le Celticant

I can't point any other reason than Marketing one to do a Predator female.
Doing a new character model is a ton of work (You need to re-do the rigging/skinning process which is very time consuming) and most of the time animations can't even translate so you have to redo the thousands of animation you've already done... again.
Also new skins, new shaders, new code integration, it's a huge amount of work just for a skin selection.

There are part of the game that scream better polish like Death Animation just to name one.
Right now this is hilarious to kill a bot. But of course you can't have your animator do two different things at the same time.
Pred with boobs or better run cycle, jump (jumps looks ugly like duck jump), death animation.
The animation of character running after being hit by a net gun is laughable. I much preferred how it look back in AVP2.
Plus it made more sense as a gameplay perspective.

Then narratively / lore speaking, it's poor.
I think  SpreadEagleBeagle has more imagination in one past than a whole team game developer team.
Unless this idea didn't come from the developer but the publisher ::)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Le Celticant on Apr 03, 2020, 12:47:48 PM
I can't point any other reason than Marketing one to do a Predator female.
Doing a new character model is a ton of work (You need to re-do the rigging/skinning process which is very time consuming) and most of the time animations can't even translate so you have to redo the thousands of animation you've already done... again.
Also new skins, new shaders, new code integration, it's a huge amount of work just for a skin selection.

There are part of the game that scream better polish like Death Animation just to name one.
Right now this is hilarious to kill a bot. But of course you can't have your animator do two different things at the same time.
Pred with boobs or better run cycle, jump (jumps looks ugly like duck jump), death animation.
The animation of character running after being hit by a net gun is laughable. I much preferred how it look back in AVP2.
Plus it made more sense as a gameplay perspective.

Then narratively / lore speaking, it's poor.
I think  SpreadEagleBeagle has more imagination in one past than a whole team game developer team.
Unless this idea didn't come from the developer but the publisher ::)

They worked quite a bit with Fox on the Female Predator. Listen to the podcast Hicks and RidgeTop did with the creators for more info.

In regarding to the off-topic death animation complaints, bots, preferring AVP2, you seem to be just bringing your rants over to this thread now and it's really starting to feel like trolling.

Le Celticant

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 03, 2020, 01:25:56 PM
They worked quite a bit with Fox on the Female Predator.
All past developers did. Why should it be different?
And what does that even mean?
Let me remind you that Rebellion said similar thing and we ended up with Alien and Predator looking just like the one from AVP/AVP-R that non one ever wanted. Even in the story with all this Pyramid trial thing.
Here I see straight DNA from The Predator which is a movie I did not like, period.

QuoteIn regarding to the off-topic death animation complaints, bots, preferring AVP2, you seem to be just bringing your rants over to this thread now and it's really starting to feel like trolling.
I was talking about the female Predator and how it was unnecessary for the game and affects other department (pure maths) that could use some polish. I gave reason why I would not want to see a female predator (actually gave two, both on the lore and on the technical side) if that's trolling I'm afraid I can't help you understand more the topic.
I'm giving criticism and concerns, there's no need to be upset because people share and express different opinions.

But allow me to rephrase on the Female topic and why on the Lore it creates a problem:
Their justification (from the podcast) is every game should have male and female, which is to create a gender identity on things which apparently had no gender (never saw a movie saying Predators are all male or all females at least).
It add sexual characteristic to everything. It's a very narrow way of thinking and very unimaginative.
You don't do things like this unless you think of "appealing" people.
But while doing it, you end up with a paradigm:
-Spend time making 3 Female Character skins
-Spend time on other aspect of the game
It's not even useful to the gameplay or a necessary feature critical for the game to work.

So yeah, I'm opposed to the idea, you may not like my opinion, but it's definitely about female predator ;)

yautjapet

I'm a woman who gets twitchy about female preds in heels and huge bouncy boobs, but I don't have a problem with this one. The physical differences are subtle, and the breasts are covered in a practical manner. Regardless of what you feel about preds with breasts, the original AvP novel does set precedent for it - though females are depicted differently elsewhere, it's not completely out of the blue. I like seeing females, better than imagining them sitting at home with little pred babies cleaning their pred houses!

Wysps

Quote from: yautjapet on Apr 03, 2020, 02:55:36 PM
I'm a woman who gets twitchy about female preds in heels and huge bouncy boobs, but I don't have a problem with this one. The physical differences are subtle, and the breasts are covered in a practical manner. Regardless of what you feel about preds with breasts, the original AvP novel does set precedent for it - though females are depicted differently elsewhere, it's not completely out of the blue. I like seeing females, better than imagining them sitting at home with little pred babies cleaning their pred houses!

I honestly feel the same. It's not my first choice of how they're represented (I'm a Big Mama fan, after all), but the developers could have taken it to cringe-level fanserviceness - which they didn't. The look is subtle and  practical.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: yautjapet on Apr 03, 2020, 02:55:36 PM

Quote from: Wysps on Apr 03, 2020, 03:33:56 PM
I honestly feel the same. It's not my first choice of how they're represented (I'm a Big Mama fan, after all), but the developers could have taken it to cringe-level fanserviceness - which they didn't. The look is subtle and  practical.

It's always nice to hear the female fans perspectives on this!  :)

razeak

The majority of creatures on Earth that aren't microbes have different sex features. No reason to discount the possibility occuring elsewhere in the universe.  We have no way of knowing if other world's are more likely or less likely to have followed a similar path.

I like spreadeagles idea though (again from an earthly evolution model.)

It's also entirely possible the female was included for reasons other than titillating teenage boys. It's not even sexualized in the usual ways.

There may be better, or less commonly used ways to explain an alien biology, but there isn't anything wrong with what's presented other than personal preference.

Also, a 3d modeler isn't doing advanced programming. I doubt much resources were affected by modelers modeling. At least there is variety, which is also important.

Le Celticant

Quote from: razeak on Apr 03, 2020, 08:10:25 PM
Also, a 3d modeler isn't doing advanced programming. I doubt much resources were affected by modelers modeling. At least there is variety, which is also important.

It takes a lot of time to do, it's digital sculpture after all, getting the proportion right is never fast and involves a lot of iterations.
And it involves many other department in the pipeline like rigging for armatures systems with bones specific for each model and animations which are dependent from the Armature. Make a different armature, make a new animation set.

Voodoo Magic

Yes, from what I've read and listened to in round table discussions, the modeling tends to be one of the easiest (and fun) aspects. As the game team always says, the rule is, it's always the last 20% of your game that takes 80% of time.

Alien Grand Master

I just want to say I am someone who really doesn't care about the female predator.  Nice, it is there, nothing missing if it isn't.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: Le Celticant on Apr 03, 2020, 09:16:57 PM

It takes a lot of time to do, it's digital sculpture after all, getting the proportion right is never fast and involves a lot of iterations.
And it involves many other department in the pipeline like rigging for armatures systems with bones specific for each model and animations which are dependent from the Armature. Make a different armature, make a new animation set.

Making a digital model is not the hardest thing in the world to do.

The parts that make the process long is the conceptual stage and approvals especially if the product is a licence I.P. The approval stage on that level is pretty much where developers get stuck for a bit. But what the character, item, or location ultimately looks like is approved at the conceptual stage and if an I.P is involved it's going to involve the I.P holders. The model may have some tweaks after seeing it in a 3D space, but this isn't nearly as time consuming as a physical piece.

The male and female Predator very likely share the same armature. I don't know why they wouldn't the models are not so radically different that it seems like it would.

razeak

Yeah it takes some resources, but it's not really taking away from anything that would improve other aspects as it appears there are different teams for different processes. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed