Dune Remake

Started by Gates, Oct 17, 2007, 12:50:34 AM

Author
Dune Remake (Read 159,891 times)

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

I wish I could find the damn book, I have seen the movie but not from start to finsih, and I liked it.

Fitzley

Fitzley

I think Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson's attempts to write prequels to the Dune books and their recent attempt to conclude the Dune series...were well below par.

SM

SM

Never read the Anderson stuff.  Were they really needed?

fluxcap

fluxcap

They keep pumping out those books like once a year. I confess to not reading any, but a friend of mine who is a Dune fan, and has read all of them, tells me Frank Herbert must be rolling in his grave every time another book is released.

I just read up on two new novels Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune which take place after Chapterhouse Dune and effectively end the original series. Curious as to what the fans think about those two. I never got past Children of Dune and probably never will.

Fitzley

Fitzley

Quote from: SM on Oct 24, 2007, 03:18:05 AM
Never read the Anderson stuff.  Were they really needed?

The prequel stuff...no, not necessary. As you probably know...Chapterhouse: Dune ended with kind of a cliffhanger and Frank was going to write a concluding Dune 7, but unfortunately, he died before starting to write it. Supposedly he left an outline, so Brian and Kevin were working off of that to conclude the series...with two books instead of one.

I must admit, I was curious since it was building off Frank's ideas...but they clearly steered it more towards their own stuff and it falls flat and is unsatisfying. Not at all how I would envision the conclusion.

I have never liked Kevin's works...I did not like his Jedi Academy Trilogy either.

Quote from: fluxcap on Oct 24, 2007, 03:58:18 AM
They keep pumping out those books like once a year. I confess to not reading any, but a friend of mine who is a Dune fan, and has read all of them, tells me Frank Herbert must be rolling in his grave every time another book is released.

I just read up on two new novels Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune which take place after Chapterhouse Dune and effectively end the original series. Curious as to what the fans think about those two. I never got past Children of Dune and probably never will.

Yeah, tossing and turning in his grave for sure.

If you liked Children of Dune, I think God Emperor of Dune is the pinnacle of the series. Heretics of Dune is probably the weakest, but Chapterhouse: Dune was a step back in the right direction.

fluxcap

fluxcap

Quote from: Fitzley on Oct 24, 2007, 05:12:53 AM
If you liked Children of Dune, I think God Emperor of Dune is the pinnacle of the series. Heretics of Dune is probably the weakest, but Chapterhouse: Dune was a step back in the right direction.
My friend told me the exact same thing. I have a copy of God Emperor of Dune but its been quite a while since I read the first three books. If I read it, I would feel obliged to read the first three again to re-entrench myself into the Dune lore. It's unfortunate but in the past couple of years I've found it really hard to give books a dedicated read. I usually read a few chapters, then read a few more like four months later. One day I'll read all the Dune books in the original series, even the poor final two that were recently released just cause I'm a completest.

Space Disc Jockey

Space Disc Jockey

Well, it was rumored on Aint It Cool months back and now, Berg confirmed to MTV that he is re-making "Dune" again (third time the story will be told on-screen).

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/12/21/confirmed-peter-berg-will-direct-dune-talking-with-tom-cruise-about-edwin-a-salt/

Quote:

---------------------------------------------------------

CONFIRMED: Peter Berg Will Direct 'Dune'

Published by Josh Horowitz on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 4:59 pm.

Ladies and gentlemen, the next huge sci-fi franchise has a director. During an interview with "The Kingdom" director Peter Berg, he confirmed the rumor that "Dune" is coming and that he's the one that will helm it. Calling the plans for him to direct "a done deal," Berg told me that "if it weren't for the writer's strike, we'd be in it right now."

Berg says that while there's no script yet, they have a list of writers they plan to go out to once the strike settles. The helmer called himself "a huge fan of the book" and when asked about the scale of the film, he simply replied, "big big big."

As any fan of the Frank Herbert classic knows, "Dune" received the big screen treatment once before in a divisive David Lynch film. Berg said that while he's "a big fan of Lynch," he believes "that interpretation has left the door wide open for a remake."
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Uncanny Antman

To this day, I still pine for the lost Dune.  That is, the one with Giger on board doing designs, and directed by Ridley Scott.

Of course, if that had happened, we wouldn't have Blade Runner, so I guess I'm better off the way things are. :)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

http://www.cinematical.com/2008/03/18/dune-remake-on-the-way-third-times-the-charm/

NO, why are they remaking this great movie?!!  >:( I remember seeing the David Lynch version on TV a few years ago and it was good. Why remake it?  ???

Nightwalker

Nightwalker

hmmm with the tech today it could be awesome.if they are sensible and do it right.

Private Hudson

Private Hudson

Dune was great, its going to have to be an excellent remake to pull it off.

Undeadite

Undeadite

Would it be easier to do a lord of the rings type situation, and make each book of the original dune trilogy into its own movie? Ive never read the books, and dont know if much was lost in translation.

SM

SM

They only made a miniseries a little while back.

fluxcap

fluxcap

I don't mind this remake, if done right, it could be great. Lynch's Dune is hardly a masterpiece, but still a decent flick.

Undeadite

Undeadite

I would just want to see more of the worms, and of that spice traveler floating in that huge tank. Was that thing really a human at one time?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed