Peter Briggs Talks Flintlock Predator 3 Pitch!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 26, 2021, 04:51:51 PM

Author
Peter Briggs Talks Flintlock Predator 3 Pitch! (Read 6,777 times)

Corporal Hicks

We recently had the pleasure of chatting to Peter Briggs, the screenwriter behind the first attempt to take the Alien vs. Predator to the Big Screen, for our podcast. We talked a lot about the development of the script and his experiences working in the industry. It’s a great interview, with a lot of insights into the directions that could have been taken.

We learned that Peter had also pitched a third Predator film to Joel Silver, and we had to ask him about it! Like so many fans, Peter had wanted to dive into the backstory of Raphael Adolini’s flintlock pistol. Peter did his best to remember the pitch from 20 years ago and told us some of what he would have had in store.

Although I know a version of it was done in one of the Dark Horse comics, it was not the version I wanted to do, which was a story of where the Predator 2 flintlock came from. And so I basically had a situation where it was the Spanish Main and there were buccaneers and Royal Navy ships. And this Predator had been involved watching a conflict from up in the yard arm of a pitched battle at sea, and watching these two guys go at each other. 

The Predator basically turned up in London, and started killing off this captain’s crew to goad him into having a fight with the other guy. And the other guy turns up – the two of them are in France together – and they realise they’re being manipulated. So it’s these two guys who are being manipulated. It’s totally a period film. I hadn’t really thought a great deal of it out, and it was very wild and wooly but that’s basically the story.  

Check back in with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy on July 30th to listen to the entire podcast! If you’re unfamiliar with the Dark Horse comic that Peter mentioned, be sure to check out our O.W.L.F file entry on it!

Make sure you stick with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Lost_Hunter

That sounds soo cool. Could definitely see it working out is an epic way. I like the idea of the Predator manipulating both parties. Taping into that sadistic nature of the creature. Something that has been sorely missing. Definitely had my own backstory for the old Greyback growing up. He's got his own mythology that should be explored.

Kailem

Even that brief pitch sounds super cool! Sort of expanding on what we saw in Predator 2 with City Hunter killing off people near to Harrigan to try and hype him up for the fight. It would have been really cool to see a Predator in multiple different period settings like that.

I'm also a sucker for "enemies who shouldn't really be enemies finally realise that and team up to fight the real threat", so that sounds like it really would have been my jam.

Voodoo Magic

The ol' Harrigan/goad your prey method. Interesting...

Clubroot

Clubroot

I wouldn't mind seeing this fleshed out in a Comic book run, or even a fan made film.

Voodoo Magic

It sounds interesting, it could be great, but I need more meat to decide if it's a worthy meal.

To be honest I really wish we knew the Thomas Brothers plan for this flintlock!

BlueMarsalis79

Interesting but not that captivating overall.

St_Eddie

I'm generally adverse to fan service but occasionally (and rarely) it can be done right and the concept of exploring the flintlock from Predator 2 is one such case.  Presuming that the story was well written, that would have been a pretty neat thing to see.

SuperiorIronman

Given the AVP anime, we should bug Fox or whomever it may concern to do an anime on this if this can't be a film. Assuming the lawsuit goes over well it'd be about time they did something with that.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: St_Eddie on Jul 27, 2021, 06:25:15 AM
I'm generally adverse to fan service but occasionally (and rarely) it can be done right and the concept of exploring the flintlock from Predator 2 is one such case.  Presuming that the story was well written, that would have been a pretty neat thing to see.

The Thomas Brothers and Kevin Peter Hall both alluded to the flintlock being an opening for a "Predator 3", with the Thomas Brothers receiving a half-hearted offer to direct - if Predator 2 was a hit at the box office. So the creators seemingly felt this was the right direction to go as well with Predator 3.

I just personally would love to guage which of these paths... the Thomas Brothers story/script (if one exists), the 1718 comic, or the Briggs story... was the best path to take.

Enjoy

Enjoy

Maybe it will be one of many stories on hulu ? Optimistic. 

Master Chief

Quote from: Trash Queen on Jul 27, 2021, 02:40:05 AM
Interesting but not that captivating overall.

Thinking the same.  The comic story sounds better to me.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

It sort of sounds like The Duelists with a Predator dicking around. Overall I'm just not sure you could hang a whole movie around that pistol.

Master

I'd take any Predator story done in 90's. Shame it didn't work out.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Enjoy on Jul 27, 2021, 04:51:48 PM
Maybe it will be one of many stories on hulu ? Optimistic.

We can dream!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed