Started by City Hunter Yautja, Jul 09, 2021, 12:53:51 AM

Who is the Greater Trophy Hunter?

Jungle Hunter (Predator)
8 (57.1%)
City Hunter (Predator 2)
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author
Jungle Hunter vs City Hunter (Read 7,201 times)

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

@Voodoo Magic has made a far greater rebuttal than I could ever have. I bow to you skill Elder Yautja.

I will say that I do not think psychopath is a fair description of City Hunter. He spares the naked woman in the Penthouse, he spares Leona who is pregnant, and he spares Mike Harrigan on the rooftoop at the beginning when he could have easily killed him.

As for Danny Archuleta, City killed him because he took a piece of his technology, the scorpion projective from his wrist launcher. Predators guard their tech with great care, hence the wrist bomb that wipes out them and their nearby tech. We see how pissed the Hybrid Pred gets in The Predator when his tech is taken.

Huggs

Huggs

JH

Wiped out green berets, and spec ops. And could only be stopped by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 10, 2021, 06:53:20 PM
JH

Wiped out green berets, and spec ops. And could only be stopped by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

That did make Jungle Hunter bad*ss. I also love his requiem laugh as he arms and has the count down chime on his wrist bomb.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fnfDXznMf0E

SiL

SiL

In reply to Voodoo;

I never said they don't follow any rules (just the opposite), and obviously their rules will seem odd to us. But City Hunter Yautja frequently brings up comparisons to Bushido and samurai that were popularized in the EU.

They have a code of conduct, but they're also clearly egotistical and really do just seen to enjoy hurting things. These aren't mutually exclusive. Big game hunters love to act like they're operating on some deeper level, but talk to enough of them and you see so much of it's nothing more than a dick measuring competition.

Predators are very accurate to that characterisation. They have rules and aren't completely ruthless -- but they will also absolutely kill you under the flimsiest pretense those rules allow.

QuoteAs for Danny Archuleta, City killed him because he took a piece of his technology, the scorpion projective from his wrist launcher
If he killed him for that he would've taken the spear tip back off him.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Jul 10, 2021, 10:25:53 PM
In reply to Voodoo;

I never said they don't follow any rules (just the opposite), and obviously their rules will seem odd to us. But City Hunter Yautja frequently brings up comparisons to Bushido and samurai that were popularized in the EU.

They have a code of conduct, but they're also clearly egotistical and really do just seen to enjoy hurting things. These aren't mutually exclusive. Big game hunters love to act like they're operating on some deeper level, but talk to enough of them and you see so much of it's nothing more than a dick measuring competition.

Predators are very accurate to that characterisation. They have rules and aren't completely ruthless -- but they will also absolutely kill you under the flimsiest pretense those rules allow.

Flimsy yes, pretense no, in my opinion. I think the City Hunter could see / knows that Danny-boy is armed, which evidently means 'green light & kill away', but that gun is not causing immediate danger, nor even drawn, so it's following the "honor code" in the flimsiest, loosest kind of way. But I don't ever think the City Hunter will kill the unarmed, then place a gun on him afterwards so to speak (i.e. pretense). But... it's important to qualify this with: it all needs to be viewed through a hunter's point of view as well. Does a hunter shoot an animal that's only attacking, claws out, teeth biting? No, so then even this flimsy argument is dispelled.

But yes, plenty of 'dick measuring' among some of them at least, I presume. Even the "honorable hunter" comes across as an oxymoron to many of us, hence triggering all the honor debates.

Unfortunately I think those bushido etc. comparisons don't line up with the creator's intent, and it has muddied the waters a bit I'm afraid.

SiL

SiL

He won't plant a gun, no. But he would've blown the kid away if it had been a real gun.

I feel "it was armed, it was fair game!" is one of those legal loopholes that lets you waste low threat, low value, otherwise "unworthy" opponents without ramification.

It's like the old "It was coming right for us!" defense hunters would use to shoot wildlife they weren't supposed to. Invoke those magic words and it wasn't poaching, it was self defense! ;D

There are clearly lines that can't be crossed, but boy will they toe that line.

That's why I feel Jungle Hunter was a proper hunter who actually kind of believed in hunting the best game, while City Hunter was more of a trash hillbilly who just wanted to kill things.

Your mileage will obviously vary, but I always loved how distinctly different their characterisations were while operating in the same framework.

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

I don't think City Hunter is a "hillbilly" and Jungle is some paladin. They are different. I will return to my former point, City Hunter is in a more dangerous hunting ground, where in L.A. everyone is armed and lethal. He doesn't hesitate to kill anyone because as Voodoo so eloquently put it, hunters don't just kill game when the game is attacking. I mean Jungle killed Hawkins when he was talking to Anna, and worse he killed Poncho when he was unarmed and being carried by Dutch and Anna. I mean was that necessary? Poncho was wounded, and unarmed, but City is a devil for killing old ladies packing heat, and Danny who has a holstered weapon? Either the rules apply to both or they can both bend them in certain circumstances.

Perhaps redundant, but Jungle has a more advantageous hunting ground, trees and wide open spaces. City gets confined in Penthouses, Allyways, and even Train cars; which means he has to treat the tiniest threat as a serious one.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 11, 2021, 12:39:55 AM
I don't think City Hunter is a "hillbilly" and Jungle is some paladin. They are different. I will return to my former point, City Hunter is in a more dangerous hunting ground, where in L.A. everyone is armed and lethal. He doesn't hesitate to kill anyone because as Voodoo so eloquently out it, hunters don't just kill game when the game is attacking. I mean Jungle killed Hawkins when he was talking to Anna, and worse he killed Poncho when he was unarmed and being carried by Dutch and Anna. I mean was that necessary? Poncho was wounded, and unarmed, but City is a devil for killing old ladies packing heat?

Jungle has a more advantageous hunting ground, trees and wide open spaces. City gets confined in Penthouses, Allyways, and even Train cars; which means he has to treat the tiniest threat as a serious one.

Poncho was not unarmed.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 11, 2021, 12:43:34 AM
I don't think City Hunter is a "hillbilly" and Jungle is some paladin. They are different. I will return to my former point, City Hunter is in a more dangerous hunting ground, where in L.A. everyone is armed and lethal. He doesn't hesitate to kill anyone because as Voodoo so eloquently out it, hunters don't just kill game when the game is attacking. I mean Jungle killed Hawkins when he was talking to Anna, and worse he killed Poncho when he was unarmed and being carried by Dutch and Anna. I mean was that necessary? Poncho was wounded, and unarmed, but City is a devil for killing old ladies packing heat?

Jungle has a more advantageous hunting ground, trees and wide open spaces. City gets confined in Penthouses, Allyways, and even Train cars; which means he has to treat the tiniest threat as a serious one.

Poncho was not unarmed.

Was he holding a gun when his arms were around Anna and Dutch?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 11, 2021, 12:47:18 AM

Poncho was not unarmed.

He was aiming his HK94 with his right arm when he was killed. He and Dutch were both aiming down the trail with their own guns after Billy was killed. Anna tried to pick up ponchos gun after it fell, before Dutch kicked it away.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 11, 2021, 12:53:02 AM
Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 11, 2021, 12:47:18 AM

Poncho was not unarmed.

He was aiming his HK94 with his right arm when he was killed. He and Dutch were both aiming down the trail with their own guns after Billy was killed. Anna tried to pick up ponchos gun after it fell, before Dutch kicked it away.

I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing this out. So much is happening in that scene, I tend to focus on Dutch diving at Anna to stop her using a gun.

Huggs

Huggs

Yeah, it's a tense moment. I didn't notice he already had the gun when I saw the movie the first few times.

SiL

SiL

I don't think City Hunter is a "hillbilly" and Jungle is some paladin.
I didn't say Jungle was. I pointed out before his brawl with Dutch was more ego than anything. But he seemed much more interested in worthy prey than City Hunter. He was more selective.

QuotePoncho was wounded, and unarmed, but City is a devil for killing old ladies packing heat, and Danny who has a holstered weapon? Either the rules apply to both or they can both bend them in certain circumstances.
My entire point is they can bend them (you're the one who claimed it was ever about honour). It's a loose guideline, not hard and fast laws.

My point is also that Jungle Hunter still seems to stick closer to the notion of collecting trophies from valuable prey: Poncho, Hawkins and Blaine had shown their value in the fight against the guerillas. Whereas City Hunter is happy to slaughter half a dozen people for every one worth claiming, and is more than happy to kill anyone with an actual gun (unless pregnant, apparently) whether they've shown themselves to be any real threat or not.

QuoteCity gets confined in Penthouses, Allyways, and even Train cars; which means he has to treat the tiniest threat as a serious one.
By choice. He's more than able to move around the city undetected -- he does it frequently. He's more than capable of attacking isolated targets -- again, does it frequently. He's also more than able to not engage in a fight, but seems much more interested in killing as many people as he can.

"I was surrounded! I had no choice but to kill them all!"
"Wow, they ambushed you?"
"No, I literally broke in and jumped in the middle of them."
"Oh. But you got some great trophies, right?"
"Some great what?"
"Trophies. You jumped in the middle of them all because there was a skull worth claiming, right."
"... I don't follow."

Even Kevin Peter Hall called the City Hunter a "bad blood" for his more in-your-face style.

I maintain that, of the two, Jungle Hunter is the more serious trophy hunter, while City Hunter is much more about the thrill of the kill -- whatever that kill may be.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 10, 2021, 05:07:24 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 10, 2021, 12:34:50 PM
City Hunter is quite a psychopath.  :laugh:

He was definitely written as reckless and a rule breaker. You might like this. I wrote about it here, and hope to eventually turn it into an article someday soon!  :)

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=61579.0

Top tier post Voodoo, everything is nicely put together. The theory definitely deserves an article on the front page of the site. And speaking of which, I had forgotten the detail of the necklace, shame on me. 😅 That said, I'm 100% percent agree with you; Danny's necklace at the cemetery was such a sadistic and cruel psychological game from City Hunter. Well at least the Elder Predator showed some honor and respect for Harrigan by gifting him the flintlock pistol as a trophy.  ;D

So I agree, and beyond the fact that they are an extraterrestrial race, whose obscure details of their culture or motivations may be beyond our understanding, City Hunter seems to be a rule breaker in al its glory.  :)

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: SiL on Jul 11, 2021, 01:16:26 AM
I don't think City Hunter is a "hillbilly" and Jungle is some paladin.
I didn't say Jungle was. I pointed out before his brawl with Dutch was more ego than anything. But he seemed much more interested in worthy prey than City Hunter. He was more selective.

QuotePoncho was wounded, and unarmed, but City is a devil for killing old ladies packing heat, and Danny who has a holstered weapon? Either the rules apply to both or they can both bend them in certain circumstances.
My entire point is they can bend them (you're the one who claimed it was ever about honour). It's a loose guideline, not hard and fast laws.

My point is also that Jungle Hunter still seems to stick closer to the notion of collecting trophies from valuable prey: Poncho, Hawkins and Blaine had shown their value in the fight against the guerillas. Whereas City Hunter is happy to slaughter half a dozen people for every one worth claiming, and is more than happy to kill anyone with an actual gun (unless pregnant, apparently) whether they've shown themselves to be any real threat or not.

QuoteCity gets confined in Penthouses, Allyways, and even Train cars; which means he has to treat the tiniest threat as a serious one.
By choice. He's more than able to move around the city undetected -- he does it frequently. He's more than capable of attacking isolated targets -- again, does it frequently. He's also more than able to not engage in a fight, but seems much more interested in killing as many people as he can.

"I was surrounded! I had no choice but to kill them all!"
"Wow, they ambushed you?"
"No, I literally broke in and jumped in the middle of them."
"Oh. But you got some great trophies, right?"
"Some great what?"
"Trophies. You jumped in the middle of them all because there was a skull worth claiming, right."
"... I don't follow."

Even Kevin Peter Hall called the City Hunter a "bad blood" for his more in-your-face style.

I maintain that, of the two, Jungle Hunter is the more serious trophy hunter, while City Hunter is much more about the thrill of the kill -- whatever that kill may be.

By choice? Well yes he does jump into the fray, but what if on certain Hunts Yautja/ Preds are requires to hunt a certain way?

My point about the danger of a city hunt still stands. So much more can go wrong in that environment. There are many times I felt City Hunter would get hit in a crossfire between gangs or on the train with the gangs & commuters.

I do concede he enjoys the thrill of the kill , I mean he had no cause to kill King Willie. I wonder what he thought of a human sporting dreadlocks?

Jungle had higher value targets by default, Commandos came into his play ground. City has to carve his way through the unworthy to find some trophies, making his hunt harder to achieve glory.

I do agree with you and Voodoo that the Predator rules of honor are more of guidelines than unbreakable dogmas. 

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 11, 2021, 03:14:15 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 10, 2021, 05:07:24 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 10, 2021, 12:34:50 PM
City Hunter is quite a psychopath.  :laugh:

He was definitely written as reckless and a rule breaker. You might like this. I wrote about it here, and hope to eventually turn it into an article someday soon!  :)

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=61579.0

Top tier post Voodoo, everything is nicely put together. The theory definitely deserves an article on the front page of the site. And speaking of which, I had forgotten the detail of the necklace, shame on me. 😅 That said, I'm 100% percent agree with you; Danny's necklace at the cemetery was such a sadistic and cruel psychological game from City Hunter. Well at least the Elder Predator showed some honor and respect for Harrigan by gifting him the flintlock pistol as a trophy.  ;D

So I agree, and beyond the fact that they are an extraterrestrial race, whose obscure details of their culture or motivations may be beyond our understanding, City Hunter seems to be a rule breaker in al its glory.  :)

It probably was a mind game City Hunter was using to set his apex prey up for the final part of the hunt. But is there a possibility the Predator simply left Danny's necklace there out of honor? To allow Harrigan to retrieve it and have something from his friend? I mean the way City Hunter is treated post mortem by the Lost Tribe makes me think he had a sense of honor over losing a clansman, in this case a cop friend.

Your last paragraph is very wise. Some things are beyond our understanding. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed