Building A Universe Of Terror, An Interview with Aliens Comic Writer Mark Verheiden! – AvPGalaxy Podcast #106

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2020, 03:03:51 PM

Author
Building A Universe Of Terror, An Interview with Aliens Comic Writer Mark Verheiden! – AvPGalaxy Podcast #106 (Read 13,900 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 106th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)!  It’s Alien Day! And that means I wanted to treat our community to a special podcast episode with someone involved in truly making their mark on the Alien series, and the writer of the original Alien 3, Alien 4 and Alien 5 – Mr Mark Verheiden himself – was kind enough to join us for a chat!

We talked about the process that went into developing the iconic first series that not only laid the foundation for the Aliens expanded universe, but redefined how seriously tie-ins were taken. And with Mark’s history in television, we were sure to ask him about if and how to make Aliens work as a TV series, and plenty more!

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunes, PodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, and Spotify! Our podcasts are now available in webcam form on our YouTube channel too! Please be sure to leave a review on whichever platform you're using!

For Alien Day last year we had the pleasure of chatting to Aliens’ very own Newt – aka Carrie Henn – about her experiences working on Aliens. If you’re still jonesing for more Alien discussion after listening to Mark recall the impact he made on the series, why don’t you travel back in time and listen to a great discussion with Carrie?!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Voodoo Magic

Perfect-Organism

Yes!!  Jumping into this convo.  I didn't listen yet to the podcast, but I haven't been this excited about Aliens stuff in ages.  So listening now... and will comment later..

StrangeShape

Great stuff and a very interesting guest. Im glad hardcore fans got a hold of him for a podcast. I had a pleasure of interviewing him briefly for JamesCameronOnline but theres no interview as meaty and full as podcast. Kudos. Im halfway through and really enjoying it. Great sound quaulity too

Corporal Hicks

Thanks StrangeShape. I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. :)

Xiggz456

Great podcast guys! Very fun listen! Now we need a part 2 for his predator trilogy!

Corporal Hicks

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Halfway through.  This is fantastic work.  A revelation.  It gives insightful closure to many loose threads from one of the best period of the Aliens franchise.

Just finished listening.  Really terrific.  I think this really underpins the idea that multiple canons could exist.  The idea for an Aliens TV series really makes sense.  It would be terrific if a continuation from where Aliens left off took place and continued forward, largely in the same vein as Verheiden's story.  Perhaps Engineers could replace the Space Jockey, or not...

Verheiden was also right about doing the series on earth.  There is a good way to do this, and there is a bad way.  AVP:R showed us the bad way, whereas the things that Verheiden spoke of made more sense.  Imagine a world where everyone was told to stay home and to only communicate over the internet.  Then stories of the Aliens begin to surface.  It's about the impending dread rather than seeing the non-stop action.  (Also, it would help if it was a sort of Blade-Runner reality)

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

I'm going to check-mate Aaron Percival by saying "I also still have the oversized "Dark Horse UK" ALIENS comics (reprints) from the early 90s" which also had a readers section. In addition to the USA single comics and "book one, book two" Dark Horse collections.

It wasn't Earth War or Sam Kieth's, imo, "pulp 50s-60s sci-fi style" comic artwork that was a faux-pas for the aliens extended universe, it was the alien 3 movie that was the final nail in the coffin of the franchise.
A bitter pill alien 3 fans have to swallow and realise if they weren't there at the time. Even Carrie Henn said her memory of aliens was only stoked by "alien war" at the trocadero in London, and this is the girl who attended the alien 3 premier in London!

Ironically earth war issue #1, with photo-real cover artwork by John Bolton, was the first comic I purchased from a comic bookstore (no really). I wasn't disappointed with the internal artwork or story and it made me want to read more! But granted I was blown away by eventually discovering  Den Beauvais artwork in "book two". That said all other story archs post earth war also took a cartoon artwork style of Earth War (ALIENS VS PREDATOR, ALIENS HIVE or GENOCIDE). So I put Beauvais work down as an anomaly only repeated in his aliens trading card series or artwork for kenner toy boxes.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Apr 26, 2020, 08:37:58 PM
I'm going to check-mate Aaron Percival by saying "I also still have the oversized "Dark Horse UK" ALIENS comics (reprints) from the early 90s" which also had a readers section. In addition to the USA single comics and "book one, book two" Dark Horse collections.

It wasn't Earth War or Sam Kieth's, imo, "pulp 50s-60s sci-fi style" comic artwork that was a faux-pas for the aliens extended universe, it was the alien 3 movie that was the final nail in the coffin of the franchise.
A bitter pill alien 3 fans have to swallow and realise if they weren't there at the time. Even Carrie Henn said her memory of aliens was only stoked by "alien war" at the trocadero in London, and this is the girl who attended the alien 3 premier in London!

Ironically earth war issue #1, with photo-real cover artwork by John Bolton, was the first comic I purchased from a comic bookstore (no really). I wasn't disappointed with the internal artwork or story and it made me want to read more! But granted I was blown away by eventually discovering  Den Beauvais artwork in "book two". That said all other story archs post earth war also took a cartoon artwork style of Earth War (ALIENS VS PREDATOR, ALIENS HIVE or GENOCIDE). So I put Beauvais work down as an anomaly only repeated in his aliens trading card series or artwork for kenner toy boxes.

We definitely need another Beauvais Aliens series.

Listening to the Verheiden interview, you can't help but have the feeling of a train derailing once the Alien 3 subject is brought up.  While I've grown to love the film, it is still the moment when the franchise took a downward turn from which it never quite recovered.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 26, 2020, 10:20:41 PMWe definitely need another Beauvais Aliens series.

Listening to the Verheiden interview, you can't help but have the feeling of a train derailing once the Alien 3 subject is brought up.  While I've grown to love the film, it is still the moment when the franchise took a downward turn from which it never quite recovered.

Alien 3 definately derailed the alien franchise correct, which is why I get defensive when fans try to re-write it as some misunderstood gem. From a  holistic point of view alien 3 was trash and killed the franchise. Want the allegory fan mail from the time of the film's release and a scramble from the then 20th century fox executives to green light a mooted aliens vs predator film to try to save it?

Although people never saw the connection, Jurassic Park would cannibalise the creature feature market the following year and for years to come.
Want proof? Stan Winston studio worked on Spielberg's film, the top cutting edge CGI effects people from industrial light and magic worked on it too.
Looking at effects "making ofs" milestones its usually terminator (1984) > aliens (1986) > terminator 2 (1991) > jurassic park (1993)

As for Sam Kieth here is a panel from alien's earth war without any colouring. This is why he is still in employment today, the panel looks amazing imo.

SM

SM

QuoteIt wasn't Earth War or Sam Kieth's, imo, "pulp 50s-60s sci-fi style" comic artwork that was a faux-pas for the aliens extended universe, it was the alien 3 movie that was the final nail in the coffin of the franchise.

Are we also dead then?  :laugh:

426Buddy

Awesome awesome podcast!!

Also what un named project is he working on?

Local Trouble

I get why he wasn't allowed to use Ripley, but it's weird that he couldn't use Bishop either.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Apr 26, 2020, 11:03:07 PM
QuoteIt wasn't Earth War or Sam Kieth's, imo, "pulp 50s-60s sci-fi style" comic artwork that was a faux-pas for the aliens extended universe, it was the alien 3 movie that was the final nail in the coffin of the franchise.

Are we also dead then?  :laugh:

Yes, literally zombies.  ...especially when it comes to this subject.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed