Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived?

Started by Kradan, Feb 10, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

Would you feel better about this?

Yes
33 (45.8%)
No
39 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author
Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived? (Read 30,299 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Feb 10, 2019, 04:01:27 PM
If the characters are going to die, I think it should have been handled better. Personally, I don't think Newt should have died, but I don't think she should carry on the torch of battling Aliens. It's already scary enough that she witnessed the gruesome deaths of her parents, sibling, and several of the Marines who'd saved her at such a young age. Going home and dealing with serious PTSD is not a happy ending.

The same can be said for Hicks. I wouldn't mind seeing more of his character and how he struggles to deal with the loss of his unit, of people he got close to since enlistment. Does he even want to continue serving after that? Would his mental health even permit that? Those are the stories I would've liked to see instead.

I like the way you think Rabbit.  :)

Valaquen

Quote from: Oasis Nadrama on Feb 11, 2019, 12:32:18 AM
These characters were killed off because they would have parasited and obstructed the dynamics of the narrative,

The characters being killed off was never some great artistic decision. They were killed by Vincent Ward because, in his words, the characters annoyed him and he wanted his film to be themed around family (specifically Ripley, her lost child, and her Alien pregnancy), and he thought those characters got in the way of those themes (somehow). The whole 'they needed to die' angle is some post-hoc stuff from the fanbase.

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 10, 2019, 08:52:56 PM
The last three (4 ?) comments are more depressing than AlienĀ³ JC...

I do enjoy Alien 3. It has a lot of artistic merit. But at the same time it's a mess. No offense meant. Some of my favourite movies are trash (and Alien 3 is better than those).

SM

Indeed.

bb-15

I skipped the poll because I don't think anyone will care how I feel emotionally.

Will Newt and Hicks be in another movie? That's up to Disney.
And the only one who could get that studio to green light another Alien film is James Cameron.
He's working on it.

QuoteCameron was asked about calling up Blomkamp and pivoting to Aliens, to which he confirmed, saying: "I'm working on that, yeah."
https://news.yahoo.com/james-cameron-reveals-title-terminator-192724556.html

;)

The Old One

The Old One

I doubt it, JC's last film was in 2010 and was derviative spectacle most don't have any nostalgia for, to my knowledge it has no fanbase. Then he endorsed Terminator Genesis, released a f**ked up Judgment Day 4K, the 3D release was a commercial failure and Alita Battle Angel isn't looking too good at the moment. I don't have much faith and he's working on Avatar apparently, so I doubt he cares about much else in all honesty right now.

Neill Blomkamp's doing other things, RoboCop, Oats, Anthem.

Kradan

I have additional question for you all: would you feel better if Clemens survived or at least died later in the movie?

I like Clemens because he's just a man who made mistake and had to paid for it for the rest of his life but i don't have problem with him dying so soon because it helps the idea of movie. I see Alien 3 as movie about one woman and her fate making the worst ever being imagined things to her. So, as soon as there something between Ripley and Clemens f**king fate just gets rid of him.

The Old One

The Old One

You answered the question for me.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 12, 2019, 11:55:04 AM
You answered the question for me.

You're welcome  :D

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 12, 2019, 11:45:46 AM
I doubt it, JC's last film was in 2009
and was the highest grossing film of all time*.

I mean, I hate Avatar with a passion, but let's be fair.

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 12, 2019, 11:53:54 AM
I have additional question for you all: would you feel better if Clemens survived or at least died later in the movie?

I like Clemens because he's man who made mistake and had to paid for it for the rest of his life but i don't have problem with him dying so soon because it helps the idea of movie. I see Alien 3 as movie about one woman and her fate making the worst ever being imagined things to her. So, as soon as there something between Ripley and Clemens f**king fate just gets rid of him.
I think it would've been much more powerful if Clemens had been the one to sacrifice himself in the mold at the end than Dillon. The first half builds up a really strong connection that it tears away halfway through the movie, then never replaces with anything significant.

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Feb 12, 2019, 11:56:27 AM
I think it would've been much more powerful if Clemens had been the one to sacrifice himself in the mold at the end than Dillon.

That reminds me ending of Ward script for Alien 3

SiL

Basically. Killing Clemens has shock value, but weakens the characters in the story.

Huntsman

Newt being killed is better. This isn't a fairytale. It's a nightmare.

Voodoo Magic

It's just the way they killed her.

Local Trouble

Hell, they could have given each cryotube its own personal escape pod and written the story so that only Ripley's crashed on Fury while the others didn't.

No Hicks.  No Newt.  No pointless deaths.  Ripley gets her solo adventure.  Mission accomplished.

The Old One

The Old One

Their deaths had a point, the point is the universe's a bitch.
And it pushes Sigourney Weaver's character, obviously.

"Some people go to the movies to be reminded that everything's OK,"
"I don't make those kinds of movies. That, to me, is a lie. Everything's not OK." -DF

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed