10 (5.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 195

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 142,898 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

The problem with letting the Predator win is that they're basically assholes.  They're hunting and killing us for sport, not survival.  Even the Aliens are more sympathetic.

Unless you're going to write a non-asshole Predator, who finds itself stranded on Earth without its technology and without any desire to make trophies of men, I don't see the point of turning one into a protagonist.

SiL

SiL

Royce sacrificing himself for Isabelle to escape on the ship in Predators could've let everyone have their cake and eat it - Mr Black lives, Royce gets his redemption arc, but it's not a total downer ending.

Outside of something like that I don't see it turning into anything other than a hamfisted "f**k you" horror ending.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 14, 2022, 02:45:06 AMUnless you're going to write a non-asshole Predator, who finds itself stranded on Earth without its technology...

... reminds me of a movie 🤔

Spoiler
[close]

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Fugitive was probably the closest I can think of to what I described.  Even Scar was just another asshole because there would be no Aliens to hunt without some unfortunate humans to breed them in.

Maybe Wolf?  I'm not the most knowledgeable about this franchise.

SiL

SiL

Wolf was an asshole who went out of his way on his special mission to kill people horribly.

Fugitive is the closest, and he was also a dick.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Maybe if you set it in WW2 and the Predator is hunting Nazis?  Bonus points if it makes friends with a plucky Allied soldier.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

I feel like this would be a great topic in itself that can warrant it's own thread. I'm a see if I can put it up somewhere.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: SiL on Sep 14, 2022, 02:49:34 AMRoyce sacrificing himself for Isabelle to escape on the ship in Predators could've let everyone have their cake and eat it - Mr Black lives, Royce gets his redemption arc, but it's not a total downer ending.

Outside of something like that I don't see it turning into anything other than a hamfisted "f**k you" horror ending.

This is more what I was thinking of - the whole sacrificing one self to save the others scenario. Pred still `wins' but hero saves the day despite losing his own life.

Kradan

Kradan

Kill me, kill me, I'm here ! Come on !

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Sep 12, 2022, 04:21:17 PMThe Star+ subtitles like describing lots of sound effects haha

Also, I'll debunk another final fight nitpick, the arm loss, y'all love saying Feral is just dumb, or forgot how his shield worked and accidentally cut his arm off, that's not what happened.
 Naru made him pull up his shield and then directed it at his arm as it was closing, cutting it off.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/999743833388613682/1018918613203308554/unknown.png?width=530&height=676

How is a girl overpowering a pred? That's the issue. She overpowers him several times in this fight. Even win an injured arm I don't think she is that strong and the pred that dumb not to compensate.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I think SiL's idea above is the closest to something satisfying. As much as I really desire a WW1 or WW2 film, I would loathe seeing yet another team-up. I don't want the Predator's to be the good guys. I want them to be the bad guys.

I genuinely believe the best place to see the desire for the Predator to be victorious is in something like shorts - whether animated or live action - but something less main stream where they can toy with the narratives more freely.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Sep 14, 2022, 02:00:29 AMI still don't see what the actual problem is.

Like, I imagine Anytime killing Dutch would look rather similar to him killing anyone else, Y'know?

I'ma raging Alien fanboy but the idea of one winning a film is honestly kind of off putting.

I think Alien is inherently edgy enough that you could do a "final girl gets an Isolation killed" right at the last minute and pull it off if it was done right, but in the Predator stuff you'd have to make him a convincing anti-hero (no, AvP 2004 does not do this) and have the sympathetic human also make it out of the conflict to get away with it. It can be done in either case but you really need to earn the Mean ending with Alien and dodge it entirely without being cringe for Predator.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I think Alien Isolation does it well funnily enough actually, the Alien wins for all intents and purposes, the Torrens got boarded by who knows how many of them and Amanda ended the journey floating in the debris of Sevastapol, pretty luckily found by a searchlight.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Yeah but the ending in question is obviously an on screen win for the monster, not just implied. The jumping off point was Predadur Winz

exorcissy72

exorcissy72

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Sep 14, 2022, 05:46:01 AM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Sep 12, 2022, 04:21:17 PMThe Star+ subtitles like describing lots of sound effects haha

Also, I'll debunk another final fight nitpick, the arm loss, y'all love saying Feral is just dumb, or forgot how his shield worked and accidentally cut his arm off, that's not what happened.
 Naru made him pull up his shield and then directed it at his arm as it was closing, cutting it off.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/999743833388613682/1018918613203308554/unknown.png?width=530&height=676

How is a girl overpowering a pred? That's the issue. She overpowers him several times in this fight. Even win an injured arm I don't think she is that strong and the pred that dumb not to compensate.

She doesn't overpower it, she gets the drop on it, sets traps and manages to wound Feral.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed