Prometheus vehicles exposed

Started by Valaquen, Aug 28, 2011, 08:22:11 AM

Author
Prometheus vehicles exposed (Read 61,087 times)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Sep 02, 2011, 01:47:08 AM
Quote from: Gash on Sep 02, 2011, 12:40:21 AM
Duellists,
Oh, come off it. Who the hell ever actually mentions that movie? How many people even know about it in the first place outside of fans of his work?
I think The Duellists was a fantastic film, really fantastic, but you're right - had I never investigated Scott's work, then I'd have never, ever, have come across it.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 02, 2011, 02:01:43 AM
I can understand significance on certain levels - 'Alien' introduced the "female protagonist" idea
In a sci-fi context, yes. In movies? Hell naw! There was Laurie Strode the year before, and countless other female survivor characters. Blaxploitation films had female Dirty Harry-esque characters, long before Alien. But Ripley is very popular, yes. It's funny that according to David Giler, a lot of the initial feedback came saying that audiences wouldn've preferred that Ripley was a man!  :laugh:

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Duellists,
Oh, come off it. Who the hell ever actually mentions that movie? How many people even know about it in the first place outside of fans of his work?

Hmph, I happen to adore The Duellists and I regularly talk about it with people whenever Ridley Scott comes up in conversation.  Having said that, I'm aware that it's hardly a well known film.  It is a critically respected film though.  Anyway, I just wanted to say that; I have zero interest in joining this Scott Vs Cameron debate, as it's ridiculous and ultimately a fruitless conversation to pursue.

That is all.

icedog97

icedog97

So...anyway...

The vehicles look interesting and the car/rover thing will probably appear much more subdued in the film. Stage lighting makes a world of difference...just think of the original ALIEN...most people think the creature is black/green and silver.

Quick note on the director tangent...Scott has done some decent work (more recently) and has been influential for sure. In terms of this movie, I can't imagine a better director to try and bring back the same atmosphere that the original film created. I'm pretty confident this film will turn out well. I think his approach is good and his legacy, to some extent, is at stake. All those things should lead to something better than average (one would think).

BoneyHead95

BoneyHead95

Looks like that it wil cost them some money! :D

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 02, 2011, 02:45:57 AM
It isn't a low-blow when we're talking about something the director is working on now, so we use his contemporary history as a filmmaker as a benchmark for whether or not he might mess up. It at least makes more logical sense than "Well he made these great moves decades ago that are still hallmark films of the genre, so there's no possible way he could mess up today".

Whoosh!!

Who are you quoting there btw?

Gash

Gash

Duellists,

Dunno, I'm talking about good films, not measuring them by box office receipt. I saw The Duellists around the same time I saw A L I E N. Perhaps I'm only discussing this with Sci Fi fans?

How about Legend, GI Jane, or 1492? They were all trashed.

Indeed, but of all fantasy/sword and sorcery fare made up to that point I'd take Legend over other efforts. Not seen GI Jane, doesn't interest me, 1492 was certainly the best of the Columbus films, but then I wasn't asked to list every Scott film, just those that proved his credentials as worthy of tackling Prometheus.

Quote from: SiL on Sep 02, 2011, 01:47:08 AMquote] There are others worthy of note
Not really, no. [/quote]

The above mentioned Legend is worthy of note no matter what you think of Cruise. It is admittedly a visual feast rather than a great film but it's still noteworthy. Someone to Watch Over Me and Black Rain are decent thrillers that I would not find a chore to watch.

QuoteAnd yes, blow me, I do think Ridley Scott is probably one of the most significant directors of our era.
How is he significant? How are any of them? Dude makes some entertaining films. That's it.

It a question of reference point I suppose. I work in the illustration and graphic design industry with involvement with TV and film in the UK, and I have done for some years, Ridley Scott's influence is more prevalent than any other visualist IMHO. It's sometimes a question of deliberately trying to find a design route that doesn't look like it is pilferred off of Scott (or trying to convince a director/producer not to attempt to copy some aspect of his output - in a poorer way).

ThisBethesdaSea

Duncan Jones 'Moon' is the best I've seen in terms of low sic-fi tech used to dynamic and believable effect, and the movie was brilliant too. ;)

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Low scifi tech?  That's because Moon was only set in 2026.  Prometheus is 2085.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: JaaayDee on Sep 02, 2011, 06:57:20 PM

I suspect talking about the films production techniques, rather than it's setting. Lot's of aspects of Moon were deliberate old school, using models and real sets, including forced perspective sets etc, only augmented by cgi. And all the more convincing for it.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: JaaayDee on Sep 02, 2011, 06:57:20 PM
I didn't realize it had been confirmed that Prometheus takes place in a specific year.

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

QuoteIt's set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley].
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1637638/exclusive-ridley-scott-reveals-alien-prequel-details.jhtml

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Cool, thanks for the info. :)

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

I think he wants to rip the AVP movies so bad but holds back for some reason :D

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: chrisr232007 on Sep 03, 2011, 01:23:21 AM
I think he wants to rip the AVP movies so bad but holds back for some reason :D

That reason being that he is affiliated to 20th Century Fox via Prometheus; It's simply politics.  Sir Scott has made enough vague comments regarding the AVP movies as to be able to read between the lines and see what he really thinks about them (i.e. they're shit).

Anyway, as for the vehicle; I'm not overly keen on the aesthetics of it but I also don't hate it, so I guess I'm indifferent.  As others have said, those gold wheels probably won't look quite so lurid on film.

GhidraX

GhidraX

I can't believe fanbois are bending over backwards to argue that Scott isn't a big name.  Self hatered maybe?  Blade Runner I think is one of the most revered films among people working in the industry now.  It's basiscally Christopher Nolan's Bible.  I don't know why people act like you have to have 20 movies of equal influence or something to be significant.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed