A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered?

Started by Wobblyboddle77, Jul 03, 2018, 11:31:07 PM

Author
A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered? (Read 47,578 times)

The Old One

The Old One

As SM said, remaking existing content is pointless- this is not the Sigourney Weaver series, the title character is not Ellen Ripley as it is with Mad Max.

Do something new.

TC

TC

Quote from: SM on Jul 08, 2018, 02:30:44 PM
Remaking the existing material sounds pretty pointless.

Yes. There would need to be substantial changes. I would keep key characters (and others would be recycled. e.g. 'Starbuck' from Galactica of old to new), and most importantly the setting should remain as is (what I really mean is the emphasis on the blue-collar mileiu). But plotlines would need to be remapped and adapted.

But I wouldn't get too hung up on repeating certain ideas (like the xeno life cycle), or a few key plot points. For example, we would know in advance bad things are going to happen to the Nostromo crew once it lands on the planet.

BTW (and this next bit is not for the faint hearted) I would probably want to give the xenos a redesign. :o

I think you might also find that the further you got into the story, the more liberties you'd end up taking with the plots. For example, I'd be inclined to return the prison colony back to a bunch of monks and even remove the xeno from their midst entirely (because as a TV show not every episode needs to feature the xeno). Maybe I'd stick a bunch of creepy Working Joes in the basement, the way the Cybermen used be revealed in the old Tom Baker era Doctor Whos.   LOL

TC

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Jul 08, 2018, 06:25:22 AM
So we've gone from 'we're going there to wipe them out', to 'nuke the entire site from orbit', to 'oh, I'm sure there's no more Aliens, and I'm not going to bother to check lol'.

:laugh:

To me, that's even more laughable than expecting Ripley to search the Sulaco from stem to stern for a stowaway egg.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: TC on Jul 08, 2018, 05:08:28 PM
BTW (and this next bit is not for the faint hearted) I would probably want to give the xenos a redesign. :o

Haven't they all been redesigned just alittle different for every movie? Colors, head design, etc.

What kind of redesign are we talkin' about here then? Like a structural redesign?

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 08, 2018, 05:13:34 PM
So we've gone from 'we're going there to wipe them out', to 'nuke the entire site from orbit', to 'oh, I'm sure there's no more Aliens, and I'm not going to bother to check lol'.

To me, that's even more laughable than expecting Ripley to search the Sulaco from stem to stern for a stowaway egg.

Nobody had to physically search for anything. You mean to tell me the covenant can detect unidentified life forms on it's own, and inform the captain and crew. But the Sulaco (a military vessel built all those years later with undoubtedly more advanced technology) can't detect a biological anomaly the size of a facehugger egg?

Wasn't the facehugger heard scurrying at the end of the film? It kind of sounds like somebody on that boat wasn't paying close enough attention.

Local Trouble

This is why I hate prequels.

TC

TC

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 05:15:01 PM
What kind of redesign are we talkin' about here then? Like a structural redesign?

I was thinking something more along the likes of Sil from Species.

TC

EDIT: Yikes! Trying to type messages on this dinky little phone is killing me.

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 08, 2018, 05:23:42 PM

Even discounting the age the prequels were made. It still makes no sense for the original films to say

"We can have giant space ships that do all this magical stuff, and have all this advanced technology. And cryo tubes that keep you ageless for almost 60 years, but we don't have the technology to detect a biological contaminant the size of Vern Troyer".

All it would've taken, was a 30 second scene where she and bishop are at a terminal. As the camera slowly moves, the dialogue goes something like this.

It's done

You're sure?

Yes. The damage appears to have been total.

And the Alien ship?

Gone. (some jargon about depth of blast penetration and heat intensity)

And the ship is clean?

All scans over the last 24 hours have come up negative. If there were something still here with us, the computer would've found it. We're safe Ripley.

We see the weight fall off Ripley's shoulders. She's avenged her crew, eliminated the aliens forever, and has a chance at a new life. Fade into the cryo scene. That's all it would've took.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 05:50:07 PM

Even discounting the age the prequels were made. It still makes no sense for the original films to say

"We can have giant space ships that do all this magical stuff, and have all this advanced technology. And cryo tubes that keep you ageless for almost 60 years, but we don't have the technology to detect a biological contaminant the size of Vern Troyer".

Apparently not.  The first two movies established this pretty well, I'd say. 

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 08, 2018, 06:53:09 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 05:50:07 PM

You know, I can see it being the case on a space tug like the nostromo. But a military vessel like the Sulaco lacking such features is a bit of a hard sell. Of course, there has to be room sequels, so sometimes thoroughness has to take a day off I suppose.

Rankles75

Especially when there's only one place there possibly could have been an egg...

Huggs

Quote from: Rankles75 on Jul 08, 2018, 07:26:37 PM

Especially when there's only one place there possibly could have been an egg...

It was Hudson. He was with them...all the way.

OpenMaw

I mean, i'd assume Sulaco's military grade internal sensors would detect something like as, at least, an anomaly.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 08, 2018, 06:53:09 PM

AH! Nope. Nostromo's internal sensors were down on B and C decks. That's why they couldn't track it. That shit was broke when they landed.

I've come to strongly despise remakes and prequels. It's fine when every now and again we get a really well done remake that was done with a really solid idea behind it. Like David Cronenberg's The Fly. That's a great remake. Or John Carpenter's The Thing. That's another great remake. Well written, well performed, well executed.

The Alien series does not need a reboot. It just needs to withdraw from the current threads its ebbing into and go back to it's roots, and re-sprout on more fertile ground.

I reiterate I think something like the fall of Sevastopol, or the exploits of Dr. Church from Aliens: Labyrinth would be a great starting point.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

What "sensors?"  They had cameras.

Keep in mind, the marines had infrared visors and motion trackers.  That's all.  No fancy Mr. Spock tricorders that could "detect lifeforms."

OpenMaw

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 08, 2018, 08:09:50 PM
What "sensors?"  They had cameras.

How do we know that? All Ripley says is that they were blind on B and C decks. That doesn't necessarily mean we're talking about just cameras.

I highly doubt they were planning to use camera's to track the alien when the idea of tracking it was brought up, especially since they knew it was using the air vents to move around and i'm certain those things don't have cameras all over the place.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 08, 2018, 08:09:50 PM
Keep in mind, the marines had infrared visors and motion trackers.  That's all.  No fancy Mr. Spock tricorders that could "detect lifeforms."

That's a whole other ball of wax. Trying to make an omni-tool that is man portable is difficult to say the least. But having a network of sensors integrated into a ship? Especially with the potential for boarding actions, stowaways, intruders? They had something.

CainsSon

This will no doubt end up being made for Disney's streaming service, if it isnt already being placed there. Id wager that this rumor began as Disney considered what IPs it will land with a Fox Merger.
I have zero insider info but it should be noted that Disney has no less than 3 streaming services for different age groups planned
and if it intends to compete with Netflix, Disney will quickly realize and Aliens series has the built in audience to do so.

This should be good news for everybody as this franchise no longer has the ability to please all of its fans in the film format, because it created so many loose ends by telling so many unsatisfying stories, arguably since Alien 3. The only place you can land an attenpt at all of it at this point, is via a mini-series format. Which is what this will be.

Callling it now.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed