New ACM mod out!!

Started by general_bradly, Mar 29, 2016, 07:24:52 PM

Author
New ACM mod out!! (Read 23,807 times)

Number13

Number13

Well I bought it on Steam. But both my PCs are outdated so it didn't work. Real shame. I'm lucky that way. I'm thinking of buying the PC disc for like $9 and using Crossover. It's either that or buy a PC. I really wanna try this out.

szkoki

szkoki

tried to install v4 with the installers, seems like the reshade and master effects are working and maybe the new textures but its definitely not look like on the preview videos for me :/

Jango1201

Jango1201

can someone help walk me through the install process for this mod? I have no idea what I'm doing because I'm not really computer literate.

DB

DB

I did a quick playthrough of the game with V4.5 of the mod. Note that when I reinstalled the game I did not play vanilla at all and so have poor memory of how the game is without the mod. Played on Ultimate Badass. Started with the No Changes difficulty but put on tougher soldiers for later missions.

The higher Alien speed made the game more enjoyable for me since I found myself looking around more often. Many times I would turn around, see nothing, then turn again to see an Alien in my face. Very pleasant. Sections where Aliens can spawn to your side and behind you are the best. The late game is really bad, since the Aliens always just rush you from the front, and even with the changes still attack in a straight line.

In indoor sections the Aliens were more fun to fight. I'm not sure if it's shit pathing or what, but sometimes Aliens would just run right past me, towards my side. This was not a bad thing, since it actually gave his buddies a chance to run at me from what used to be my front. I would see Aliens jump into spawn locations when shot at and then reappear later. Coupled with multiple Aliens it creates the illusion that they are flanking you and distracting you for their siblings. Sometimes they seemed to "bug" out and just stand right in front of me on all fours. Most of the time this looked pretty stupid, which is unfortunate, but I can recall at least one time where one did it among lots of dead bodies, and I actually thought he was dead. I walked almost right into him before noticing his tail wagging. Was pleasantly surprised. I still think they can afford to be even stronger.

I thought Lurkers could also have used a speed boost. I found them pretty lacking in general, and only ever died to one in the warehouse where 3 appear. It was actually pretty neat. One attacked me from the front while his friend pounced from the side and killed me. They don't usually behave like this. The locations they hide in are obvious and they are really slow when compared to the soldiers.

PMCs continue to be the worst parts of the game, but I have some memory that they were way worse in the vanilla game. Only one segment with them gave me cancer and that's when you have to leave the Sulaco on the dropship. Mostly thanks to random pin-point accurate grenades that they'd throw from the floor level onto the catwalk.

It is still very irritating that the guns in this game are inaccurate as hell beyond 10 meters. The assault rifle's stupid scope attachment is completely worthless because the gun shoots wherever the f**k it wants. I think it was like this in vanilla as well. You'd spend a clip shooting a stupid PMC because your asshole marine can't shoot straight.

Melee is massively overpowered and I'm not sure what can be done about it. Although the Aliens would get surprise slaps on me my elbow would bail me out easily every time. Coupled with the guns killing so quickly at close range you'd need situations where Aliens attack from multiple angles, but these are rare.

I was divided on how AI teammates work. It's good that they are useful, but they trivialize some encounters. They saved my ass loads of times but it made the game a bit too easy. Also, my teammates killed the Crusher literally instantly. He charged at me, ran past me and into my friends, and Cruz just executed the motherf**ker in one shot.

All in all, I am impressed with what was done. The game is elevated from a piece of shit to a game firmly entrenched in mediocrity with some highlights. Nothing can be done about the story or the missions being interactive cutscenes where you move in a straight line for 7 hours but the gameplay itself feels improved. Hudson's rifle is the actual pulse rifle, full auto and all. Why they made it burst fire only in the first place I'll never know.

I didn't play vanilla to compare but the game seemed darker and more foreboding than I remember, which are positive qualities. I also think I had a harder time telling dead Boilers from living ones, which I recall stuck out like sore thumbs to me on the vanilla game. Maybe just misremembering.

Edit: I forgot to talk about acid blood, which goes to how just how little it does. I think I read that it does deal more damage but I'll be damned if I noticed. As far as I was concerned, the acid blood did next to nothing.

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: Number13 on Apr 08, 2016, 11:28:20 PM
I think the problem with ACM regarding "continuity" is that it flew too close to the original movies. I feel like Colonial Marines should've been a standalone story where it didn't make too many major events so it doesn't contradict anything. It could've involved another group of Marines that wasn't on LV-426, could've been just another Alien infestation. Maybe it could've been another colony built on LV-426. I mean, I love Hicks and I dislike Alien3, but I feel bringing back Hicks was a bit of a copout. I feel if they wanted to bring back Hicks, they would've just been better off retconning 3 and 4, probably would've been best to just leave him out.

Again, they should've just done a standalone story that didn't have any big connections. I mean come on, they expect us to believe that Hadley's Hope survived an explosion the size of Nebraska?

Course, I never consider videogames and books as canon, cause once they make the next movie, they get retconned. Like the Aliens comic books got retconned when Alien3 came out, and even more when Resurrection came out, and especially after Prometheus. Star Wars expanded universe anyone? Don't get me wrong, expanded universes are great for new ideas, but they'll only be canon for a short time. They always do.

One last thing and then I'll shut up. The instructions seem to say that you need Steam and Windows to get it to work. But I have a Mac. But I also have Crossover, which sometimes work. So if I buy this on Steam with Crossover can I play it? Or would I have better luck buying the CDRom and installing it that way?

Way back in the day when they still had the BS:G writers and were sharing few details about the game, the story and concept art. It was going to be a standalone story. The characters would still be searching for the Sulaco but it would turn into something much more... and actually take us in a NEW direction.

g2vd

g2vd

I Just installed V4.5 and it is GREAT! it looks far better now and the Assault Rifle is finally useful.

I did notice that there are now new Weapons 2 Pulse Rifle Mods, A Sawed Off Shotgun and the awesome Pulse Rifle Flame-Thrower Hybrid.

What levels do you find them in? not their location just the levels

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I can't recall for the sawn off, but the duct-tape rifle was a pre-order incentive, I believe.

ThisNthaT

ThisNthaT

Quote from: Jango1201 on Apr 18, 2016, 05:03:12 AM
can someone help walk me through the install process for this mod? I have no idea what I'm doing because I'm not really computer literate.
Here's a few videos I made for installing TemplarGFX's Mod's V4, V4.5, & V5. Just click on the link to go to the video. Hope this helps.
Video Using the Installer:
#1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hl_2qU1Qww
Videos Without the Installer:
#1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiKfRFZe8Ks
#2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8lLJq0wg8

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed