Alien: Dark Descent’s Enemy Type and Squad Class Descriptions

Started by RidgeTop, May 26, 2023, 07:33:10 AM

Author
Alien: Dark Descent’s Enemy Type and Squad Class Descriptions (Read 8,417 times)

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Xiggz456 on May 26, 2023, 09:36:44 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 26, 2023, 09:29:10 PM'Embryostasis' doesn't make much logical sense to me. They could simply replicate whatever the pheromones/whatever is which the adults respond to. No need to mutilate/doom the 'volunteers' to a slow-motion death.

But I'm guessing that it might be a religious type thing so the volunteers are seeking this experience out as a form of worship. Although that could just be me reading into things. I'm really excited to find out though!

Indeed, they are described as fanatics who volunteer... gives me royal jelly junkie vibes 😊

Komenja

QuotePraetorians:

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 26, 2023, 08:15:02 AMI knew you were all overthinking this one.
Guilty. The subdued crest really threw me off, I had figured it was a new variant.

Still Collating...

Nice! Weird that not all of the enemies we've seen are up on the site yet. We're missing WY commandos, the human rebels, and the Crusher.

Hope we go the religious fanatics rout with the human enemies. All of the Aliens look good, except the face on that Warrior. Man, that's silly looking up close :laugh: though they look great in gameplay, but that picture isn't flattering. Just weird since they did all of the rest of the Aliens so well. But a minor nitpick.

Love the variety of enemies we're getting, but not going overboard. Perfect balance.

Richman678

I gotta say i really like the Praetorian design with this game. Very creepy looking.

[cancerblack]

I don't love the whitening on the face/teeth, but aside from that it may be my favourite "this is officially a pratorian" design.

reecebomb

No drone aka big chap?

Corporal Hicks

I don't think they uploaded all the enemy types. I think we've seen some the smooth-headed Aliens in some footage and screenshots.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on May 26, 2023, 09:04:47 PMAbsolutely loving the concept of the Guardians and embryostasis! Of all the expanded media interpretations of weaponising the Xenomorph, this has got to be my favourite - considering how the runner responded to Ripley in Alien 3, I'm surprised this idea hadn't been explored sooner! 😊
The comics did it in 'Aliens: Purge' back in the 90s, with it revealed that leprosy brings the Alien embryo gestation process to a standstill, so a colony of lepers is able to coexist with an Alien hive.

The downside is, you know, leprosy.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: reecebomb on May 30, 2023, 08:16:39 AMNo drone aka big chap?

Yeah, as Hicks said, they didn't upload everything. I imagine that aside from drones and WY mercs there's a few surprises too.

tvbdrama

https://ibb.co/PxrdbPn

Gunner - Private Vazquez / Private Drake
Medic - Corporal Dietrich
Recon - ???
Sergeant - Sergeant Apone / Corporal Hicks
Tecker - Private Hudson / Private Frost

davewesker

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 26, 2023, 09:29:10 PM'Embryostasis' doesn't make much logical sense to me. They could simply replicate whatever the pheromones/whatever is which the adults respond to. No need to mutilate/doom the 'volunteers' to a slow-motion death.
Its probally a gameplay thing tbh. Once you kill one the chestbuster is released then you have to kill it quickly before it grows into an adult.
Think of pain elementals from Doom 2

BlueMarsalis79

Or maybe you can not replicate the pheromones. Maybe it is more complicated than we amateurs can grasp.

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jun 02, 2023, 12:01:29 PMOr maybe you can not replicate the pheromones. Maybe it is more complicated than we amateurs can grasp.

THIS! It's never as easy as one imagines or the way sci-fi shows portray it (if it were, we wouldn't have problems with invasive species across the globe, we'd be churning out attractant and deterrent pheromones like there's no tomorrow for integrated pest management). The whole concept of using pheromones in behavioural control is what first got me interested in moving my focus from Marine Biology to Chemical Ecology 😊 (alas, all the tanks in our lab are filled with crabs as opposed to facehuggers *sadface* - but still feel like Ash/David every time we get a result 🤣 )

Komenja

Quote from: davewesker on Jun 02, 2023, 06:44:59 AM
Its probally a gameplay thing tbh. Once you kill one the chestbuster is released then you have to kill it quickly before it grows into an adult.
Think of pain elementals from Doom 2
Or the Chrysallids from X-Com...  :o

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Xiggz456 on May 26, 2023, 09:36:44 PMBut I'm guessing that it might be a religious type thing so the volunteers are seeking this experience out as a form of worship. Although that could just be me reading into things. I'm really excited to find out though!

It's a professional laboratory, from the looks of it. Why would they have religious cult members even near that, let alone actively getting involved?

Pretty sure you wouldn't find those wandering around Area 51 or wherever in real life. :)

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 26, 2023, 10:44:04 PMPerhaps they tried to, or maybe just narratively, it is more interesting to go this direction.

Is it, though...? It feels very 1980s zombie flick-level tacky. Cheap shocks without logically thinking it through. It's the kind of thing you get in 'Return Of The Living Dead 3' - which I love for Melinda Clarke's surprisingly good performance, but was laughably shallow/cartoonish.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed