Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 20, 2023, 06:30:14 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread (Read 102,888 times)

Mike’s Monsters

Very curious to how people will react to finding out who's doing the creature effects.  8)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Apr 27, 2023, 06:58:59 PMVery curious to how people will react to finding out who's doing the creature effects.  8)

I know we ruled out Odd with Hallett's Instagram comments but, I forget, has ADI been ruled out yet...?

EDIT: StudioGillis, rather.

SiL

SiL

I don't think it would be worth mentioning if they did the effects. I'm guessing someone along the lines of Weta or Legacy.

Nightmare Asylum

I think it's been confirmed to not be Weta; pretty sure they're only doing the show.

Legacy could definitely be it.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Apr 27, 2023, 06:58:59 PMVery curious to how people will react to finding out who's doing the creature effects.  8)

In order to qualify for a goverments film rebate and incentive program, production companies are usually obligated to hire local talent whenever possible. Hence why Aussie based Odd Studios got the Covenant gig.

So I assume Filmefex Studio (Blade Runner 2049, Game of Thrones) based in Budapest will do some creature effects as they previously worked with Scott Free productions and specialize in creature effects.

If they are bringing LA houses in as well then I assume it would probably be ADI who has the most experience with the franchise?

SiL

SiL

Again, why would it be remarkable for StudioGillis to do the effects work?

If it's not Weta it's probably Legacy.

Kailem

Kailem

It's not too Odd that Mike is acting like people are going to Weta themselves when they find out which of these Legacy studios are handling the effects. There are certainly going to be a lot of people chuffed to the Gillis by the news.

....KNB.

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Kailem on Apr 27, 2023, 09:27:37 PMIt's not too Odd that Mike is acting like people are going to Weta themselves when they find out which of these Legacy studios are handling the effects. There are certainly going to be a lot of people chuffed to the Gillis by the news.

....KNB.

You're a legendary wordsmith, sir.

Nightmare Asylum

Instagram accounts of some additional concept artists for this project:

https://www.instagram.com/nick_stath/
https://www.instagram.com/coldesign/
https://www.instagram.com/mattsav.concept/

Probably worth a follow for when they're eventually able to share their work.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 28, 2023, 01:10:26 AMInstagram accounts of some additional concept artists for this project:

https://www.instagram.com/nick_stath/
https://www.instagram.com/coldesign/
https://www.instagram.com/mattsav.concept/

Probably worth a follow for when they're eventually able to share their work.

Interresting connections here, Nick Stath is an Aussie who previously worked on The Martian and Prometheus.

Coldesign is also an Aussie and Wayne Haag's (Alien Covenant) buddy.

Matthew Savage has previously worked on Prometheus and The Martian.

hamilton_milo

This strongly implies it's a creature effects house which isn't Studio Gillis.

Quote from: SiL on Apr 27, 2023, 08:34:55 PMAgain, why would it be remarkable for StudioGillis to do the effects work?

If it's not Weta it's probably Legacy.

Agreed.

lv_226

lv_226

Not a fan of ADI or other derivatives' work on the franchise (though, the masked Predator in Prey was pretty damn good). That being said, I am cautiously optimistic about this project.

bobcunk

bobcunk

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 27, 2023, 08:30:06 PM

In order to qualify for a goverments film rebate and incentive program, production companies are usually obligated to hire local talent whenever possible. Hence why Aussie based Odd Studios got the Covenant gig.

So I assume Filmefex Studio (Blade Runner 2049, Game of Thrones) based in Budapest will do some creature effects as they previously worked with Scott Free productions and specialize in creature effects.

If they are bringing LA houses in as well then I assume it would probably be ADI who has the most experience with the franchise?

I thought ADI was done? Tom and Alec went their separate ways.

I liked the Predators face in prey, it was different but I think its the only scary looking predator, The cgi close ups looked off though, not so much the designs because it wasn't real changed but it looked to shiney and had that old video game plastic look to it. I'm guessing the budget was cut when they decided to go straight to streaming because it didn't look much better than the practical mask. I think one of the mandibles was malfunctioning, maybe that's why they ripped it off? because they couldn't fix it, lol.

SiL

SiL

They wanted to do the CGI from the beginning. It was always direct to streaming, they didn't have budget cuts.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: bobcunk on Apr 30, 2023, 02:24:17 AM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 27, 2023, 08:30:06 PM

I thought ADI was done? Tom and Alec went their separate ways.

Well, Studio Gillis really. It's just that "Very curious to how people will react to finding out who's doing the creature effects" comment from @Mike's Monsters that makes me suspect it might be Alec.

ADI has a very divisive reputation on here, if it was just some random effects house doing the creature effects most people would probably just shrug their shoulders and move on. ADI's co-founder's involvement on the other hand would spark a lot of debate.

Gillis was also attached to Blomkamp's project so it might be possible someone at 20th felt sorry for him and arranged for him to work on this, who knows?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed