Phoebe Waller-Bridge to play android named Ruk/Rook? (Source: Daniel RPK)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Dec 29, 2022, 09:53:58 PM

Author
Phoebe Waller-Bridge to play android named Ruk/Rook? (Source: Daniel RPK) (Read 11,722 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Found a Tweet about the Daniel RPK announcement that @Gimitko mentioned in the Principal Photography thread!

https://twitter.com/FRESHTrailers_/status/1608527291998666753

Quote⚡ BREAKING : According to insider Daniel Richtman on "ALIEN"

💬 Phoebe Waller-Bridge is up for the role of David in the next Alien movie, Alien: Romulus. An android named Ruk."

No idea if this means that she would be David in a new "Ruk" model body, or just that Ruk would be the David equivalent of this film, since the translation here is sort of wonky...

Kradan

S.E.B.

This is very confusing. Is anyone here fluent in Russian?

Also, Ruk? Is it derived from old English "rook", or does it originate from the Thai word for "loveable", or is it just a wink to the ancient android-creating android from Star Trek 1966 named Ruk? What's the point of deviating from the A,B,C,D android name formula? Sure, Walter broke it first, but what's the point in deviating even further?

I don't mind David being able to freely inhabit different android bodies as that makes him even more threatening and scary as it makes him harder to kill. I always liked the nightmarishly uncanny idea of W-Y unknowingly being run by David, as this omnipotent AI posing as this director or executive that no one has actually met in person. Like, Ash was actually David possessing the body of an ASH model synthetic on board the Nostromo. Having Ruk as the first new vessel of David would in that sense be interesting.

Just a thought.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I'm inclined to not believe that Ruk is David, just 'cause we are looking at a translated repost here and not the original source itself (which I'd assume probably says something along the lines of Ruk being the next android in the series, following David). But hey, who knows!

Phoebe Waller-Bridge as an android in general strikes me as pretty interesting casting.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 29, 2022, 11:00:14 PMI'm inclined to not believe that Ruk is David, just 'cause we are looking at a translated repost here and not the original source itself (which I'd assume probably says something along the lines of Ruk being the next android in the series, following David). But hey, who knows!

Phoebe Waller-Bridge as an android in general strikes me as pretty interesting casting.

For some reason I imagine this girl being a heroine...and if she is an android, more like Call. But hey! I like plot twists😅

But aye, we better wait for confirmation ;D and as you say it may be due to the translation of the source.

Anyway it would be kinda refreshing if the protagonist is a synthetic. 8)

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: S.E.B. on Dec 29, 2022, 10:39:34 PMThis is very confusing. Is anyone here fluent in Russian?

I can confirm that the translation NA put in his OP is quite acurate:

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 29, 2022, 09:53:58 PM
Quote⚡ BREAKING : According to insider Daniel Richtman on "ALIEN"

💬 Phoebe Waller-Bridge is up for the role of David in the next Alien movie, Alien: Romulus. An android named Ruk."

I'm leaning towards "she will be equivalent of David in the next movie" reading of the quote

SiL

"Rook", as in Bishop, Rook, etc.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

A couple more Tweets referring back to the original Patreon source are using the "Rook" spelling, too. Seems likely that "Rook" is probably the actual spelling here, so I adjusted the thread title.

https://twitter.com/nacaomarveI/status/1608615844187078656
https://twitter.com/assisteagora/status/1608639741762887682

SiL

«Рук» is just how you'd spell it in Cyrillic. Pronunciation is more or less the same.

BlueMarsalis79

Interesting stuff, Rook was also used in one of the recent novels as well I think.

Corporal Hicks

Might have been one of Alex's actually. Charybdis?

SiL

There's a Bishop model called Rook in a Bug Hunt story, and a human with that name in Dead Orbit.

David Weyland

David Weyland

Gives credence to the theory that David uploaded into Walter at the end of Covenant if this is true

Appreciate budget dictates but bit of a shame Fassbender isn't returning to the role.

Super excited and delighted though if this is actually the third prequel

SiL

It's unlikely to be David himself. I think they mean the "David role" as in "the  android's role in this story".

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 30, 2022, 10:53:15 AMMight have been one of Alex's actually. Charybdis?

Actually I think it was Aliens Infestation maybe?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed