Prometheus 2 Holding Up Alien 5

Started by Darkness, Aug 17, 2015, 06:26:52 PM

Author
Prometheus 2 Holding Up Alien 5 (Read 46,032 times)

windebieste

I'm pleased that 'Prometheus 2' is being prioritised.  The first movie wasn't terrible.  It wasn't great but it's merits lie in embracing a different angle within the established Universe and they were very welcome.  Mind you, characters were the weakest part of the film.  I'm hoping that characters are stronger in the sequel. 

I'm so confused about 'ALIEN 5'.  None of what Blomkamp has proposed makes any sense.  Especially as it won't be released for a few years now.   The script will change - it's just a matter of how much change at this point.  I'm sure it's going to need all the time it can get in order to be a decent movie. 

I just don't wanna wait years for the cinematic equivalent of 'A:CM'.  So much more can be done within this Universe other than rehash already deceased characters.   I'm not looking forward to that being the big drawcard.

-Windebieste.

System Apollo

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 18, 2015, 12:03:03 AM
I'm pleased that 'Prometheus 2' is being prioritised.  The first movie wasn't terrible.  It wasn't great but it's merits lie in embracing a different angle within the established Universe and they were very welcome.  Mind you, characters were the weakest part of the film.  I'm hoping that characters are stronger in the sequel. 

I'm so confused about 'ALIEN 5'.  None of what Blomkamp has proposed makes any sense.  Especially as it won't be released for a few years now.   The script will change - it's just a matter of how much change at this point.  I'm sure it's going to need all the time it can get in order to be a decent movie. 

I just don't wanna wait years for the cinematic equivalent of 'A:CM'.  So much more can be done within this Universe other than rehash already deceased characters.   I'm not looking forward to that being the big drawcard.

-Windebieste.
I'm in full agreement with your post except for your outlook on what was the weakest point of the film. Although there were some terrible characters I also thought there were some spectacular ones as well. I personally believe that most of the problem came from poor pacing and contrived elements; elements that were specifically used to contribute hastily to the tone a certain scene tried to achieve. Hence why a lot of viewers criticize the script.

Xenomorphine

None of what Blomkamp has proposed makes any sense.

We still don't know what he has proposed, aside from a return to psychosexual horror, biomechanical aesthetics and a preference for the 'Alien Isolation' presentation style.

System Apollo

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 18, 2015, 12:30:24 AM
None of what Blomkamp has proposed makes any sense.

We still don't know what he has proposed, aside from a return to psychosexual horror, biomechanical aesthetics and a preference for the 'Alien Isolation' presentation style.
And the complete omission of 2 sequels already established within the franchise.

Ben Brown

Ben Brown

So we've got Alien 5 coming from Blomkamp; Prometheus 2 from Ridley Scott; and then all of this great material on the side in the form of games (Alien: Isolation), comics (Fire and Stone), and books (last year's trilogy of novels from Titan books; the upcoming Rage War).

It's a lot of stuff, and I'm excited for all of it...but one thing that would make me feel a lot more hopeful about the future of the franchise would be if 20th Century Fox were to maybe announce some sort of formal "story group," like the one announced with Star Wars and even more recently Transformers. The nice thing about announcing the creation of such a group, tasked specifically with charting the franchise's overall narrative going forward, is that it a.) serves as a nice, official "reset" of the plot up to that point, stabilizing and concretely defining what is and isn't canon as we move into the future, and b.) it lends confidence to the idea that there is an actual captain steering this ship. As much as I've enjoyed much of the Alien/Predator EU over the last few decades, one thing that has been severely lacking to everything that we've gotten is any sort of core structure; we've gotten tons of comics and books and games, many of them from very gifted creators, but taken as a whole, it's more or less just a hodgepodge of stories.

That approach has its advantages, I admit...but looking at the variety of different projects coming our way from Fox, Titan Books, Dark Horse Comics, and Creative Assembly, it strikes me that the smarter–and more satisfying– approach might be to do something akin to what Disney has done, tying in the projects of Del Rey, Marvel, and various other companies, in an effort to create a more cohesive tapestry. Putting an official story group in charge of the Alien/Predator/Prometheus universe seems, at least to me, to be the smart move. Thoughts?

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

So I guess it will be like this.

Prometheus 2 - 2017 (five years since the first film)
Alien 5 - 2018 (21 years since A:R)
Predator 4 - 2019 (almost a decade since Predators. God time is going by fast !) :o

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: System Apollo on Aug 18, 2015, 12:34:37 AM
And the complete omission of 2 sequels already established within the franchise.

According to the latest quotes, maybe not.

He's said they didn't move in a direction he personally likes, but that just puts him in the same boat as most people - Fincher, included.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 18, 2015, 02:05:12 AM

He's said they didn't move in a direction he persinally likes, but that just puts him in the same boat as most people - Fincher, included.

Wait... what?

First it's a retcon, then it's not a retcon, then it's a retcon again, now it's not a retcon again? The hell is going on?

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 18, 2015, 02:13:58 AM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 18, 2015, 02:05:12 AM

He's said they didn't move in a direction he persinally likes, but that just puts him in the same boat as most people - Fincher, included.

Wait... what?

First it's a retcon, then it's not a retcon, then it's a retcon again, now it's not a retcon again? The hell is going on?
Lol. Welcome to the 'controversy' I mean confusion! Jk

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Bkbboy on Aug 18, 2015, 01:34:30 AM
So we've got Alien 5 coming from Blomkamp; Prometheus 2 from Ridley Scott; and then all of this great material on the side in the form of games (Alien: Isolation), comics (Fire and Stone), and books (last year's trilogy of novels from Titan books; the upcoming Rage War).

It's a lot of stuff, and I'm excited for all of it...but one thing that would make me feel a lot more hopeful about the future of the franchise would be if 20th Century Fox were to maybe announce some sort of formal "story group," like the one announced with Star Wars and even more recently Transformers. The nice thing about announcing the creation of such a group, tasked specifically with charting the franchise's overall narrative going forward, is that it a.) serves as a nice, official "reset" of the plot up to that point, stabilizing and concretely defining what is and isn't canon as we move into the future, and b.) it lends confidence to the idea that there is an actual captain steering this ship. As much as I've enjoyed much of the Alien/Predator EU over the last few decades, one thing that has been severely lacking to everything that we've gotten is any sort of core structure; we've gotten tons of comics and books and games, many of them from very gifted creators, but taken as a whole, it's more or less just a hodgepodge of stories.

That approach has its advantages, I admit...but looking at the variety of different projects coming our way from Fox, Titan Books, Dark Horse Comics, and Creative Assembly, it strikes me that the smarter–and more satisfying– approach might be to do something akin to what Disney has done, tying in the projects of Del Rey, Marvel, and various other companies, in an effort to create a more cohesive tapestry. Putting an official story group in charge of the Alien/Predator/Prometheus universe seems, at least to me, to be the smart move. Thoughts?

Welcome Bkbboy!  Not a bad idea at all.  But some of us are talking about a multi-verse which would basically establish several continuities that are self-contained.  This is similar to what Disney did with Star Wars.  It would be great though if there was a core team that was dealing with this and helping to organize things.  Otherwise, everyone basically has their own head-canon which is not a bad thing, but for the uninitiated trying to start reading something?  Good luck.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

To BkBboy,

I wouldn't want a Story Group to determine what is canon and what isn't. Not everyone would be happy with a singular timeline and going about it how Disney did it with Star Wars? Well, that just divided Star Wars fans, so for Alien and Predator fans... that would further divide us.

As Perfect Organism said, some of us, especially myself feel as if a multiverse.. or at the very least, divergent and separate canons would be the way to go.. similarly to how Robocop, Halloween, Godzilla and Highlander have alternate canons.

Each thing would be assigned to a specific canon.

Engineer

Engineer

I think a multiverse is going to divide fans just as much as establishing a primary canon. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I guess we'll see in time...

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 18, 2015, 02:56:29 AM
To BkBboy,

I wouldn't want a Story Group to determine what is canon and what isn't. Not everyone would be happy with a singular timeline and going about it how Disney did it with Star Wars? Well, that just divided Star Wars fans, so for Alien and Predator fans... that would further divide us.

As Perfect Organism said, some of us, especially myself feel as if a multiverse.. or at the very least, divergent and separate canons would be the way to go.. similarly to how Robocop, Halloween, Godzilla and Highlander have alternate canons.

Each thing would be assigned to a specific canon.

What RakaiThwei is saying makes sense.  The AVP community basically inherited multiple continuities already from decades of mismanagement of the franchise by Fox.  We already have completely different and incompatible timelines.  That's a fact.  So the powers that be can either choose to decide what is the master timeline (canon) or embrace the diverse nature of the story timelines within the AVP universe and allow for them to continue to grow in their own direction.  I really think the latter approach makes most sense as it is very inclusive of people's preferences.  If you love your elephant nosed space jockeys, enjoy!  If you love your Engineers, go to town!  If you love a reality with Aliens and Predators, so be it!  If you can't tolerate Predators in your Alien reality, that works too!  If you love Archie vs. Predator, wait a minute, that's going too far.  Boundaries..

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 18, 2015, 03:21:42 AM
I think a multiverse is going to divide fans just as much as establishing a primary canon. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I guess we'll see in time...

We were never really unified to begin with. I can't recall a time we were.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 18, 2015, 03:25:54 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Aug 18, 2015, 03:21:42 AM

We were never really unified to begin with. I can't recall a time we were.
True, but at the same time, everyone has always been in agreement that the alien movies (original trilogy anyway) have been the primary canon. That goes away with the multiverse, and what little bit of unity we all had goes away with it...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed