Jean-Pierre Jeunet: Joss Whedon Movies Are for ‘Morons’ and ‘American Geeks’

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Oct 28, 2022, 07:31:47 PM

Author
Jean-Pierre Jeunet: Joss Whedon Movies Are for ‘Morons’ and ‘American Geeks’ (Read 5,872 times)

razeak

To be fair, something like Paper Girls delivered like 5 "woke" points in an awkward manner, almost 4th wall breaking. There wasn't anything really subtle about it. It's a matter of show don't tell for a lot of people that have that complaint. Not every criticism comes from a place of hate.

I don't care if a movie has a woke agenda. Show me, don't tell me.

Paper Girls ended up being pretty good and had some good character development, amidst some narrative chaos lol.

And yes, there are some sad people that complain about castings because they don't like a certain race, but there is another side of the coin where dislike or criticism of a movie or show is lumped into racism/misogyny (The Last Jedi is a good example). There is some idiotic toxicity on both sides. And then there is the 99% in between those two ends of the discussion. It's not all black and white.

[cancerblack]

Yeah, although I don't use the right websites to have been called a chud for thinking the Star Wars movies are dogshit, while I've had to hear ad nauseam about how Prey is the woke agenda at work. I know which of those two extremes gets up in my grill more often and it's not the rabid left, as silly as they can get.

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 20, 2022, 02:08:45 AM
Quote from: ralfy on Nov 20, 2022, 01:56:04 AMThe last point from the quote is important, i.e., from Scorsese, Coppola, and Scott. It's not just in superhero movies but many Hollywood movies: cardboard cutout characters, lack of character development leading to unsympathetic protagonists, a heavy reliance on spectacle instead of a buildup leading to that, and recently a strong emphasis on forcing woke agendas.

But don't you really like Prometheus and Covenant?
I didn't like them because for the first there are problems with writing such that one can't sympathize with the protagonists. The problem with the second is that it rehashes the first and second movies, with the protagonist even looking like Ripley, and with attempts to create the same blue-collar atmosphere, e.g., instead of Dallas, Tennessee, with cowboy hats and early '70s pop songs.

I think what they should have done was retain the grimy atmosphere of the first movies, then figure out how to incorporate the "origin" elements. The second would have probably required a lot of development time, with much of it spent on writing and rewriting.

Whedon can do well as long as he doesn't receive pressure from producers who focus more on audience sweet spots or political agendas. Maybe one can consider his earlier works, like Firefly, or go back to the older Alien and Predator movies and see what made them notable: well-developed characters, blue-collar backgrounds (space truckers, grunts, expendable spec ops soldiers, overwhelmed cops), a careful buildup, vulnerabilities of protagonists emphasized in order to avoid Mary or Gary Sue scenarios, amoral corporate antagonists (with some giving arguments related to amorality and pragmatic ethics), etc.

PsyKore

Why can't these guys just laugh it off? The film turned out a bit shit, who cares? There's arguably been worse shit put out since.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: PsyKore on Nov 21, 2022, 07:51:33 AMWhy can't these guys just laugh it off? The film turned out a bit shit, who cares? There's arguably been worse shit put out since.

I have no idea, although I actually quite like the end result, probably because I like Jeunet flicks in general. I think Whedon is the genuinely salty one while frenchie is just dismissive and a tad bit snarky, which fits with what I know of both of them tbh.

St_Eddie

Quote"I know Joss Whedon said some bad things about me," Oscar nominee Jeunet recently told The Independent. "I don't care. I know if Joss Whedon had made the film himself, it probably would have been a big success. He's very good at making films for American geeks, something for morons."

The "Amélie" director continued, "Because he's very good at making Marvel films. I hate this kind of movie. It's so silly, so stupid."

My estimation of Jean-Pierre Jeunet has just increased exponentially.

BlueMarsalis79

bobby brown

JPJ was the best part of Alien resurrection. love his camera work and color palette.

Alien resurrection is perhaps the worst alien movie, but it is not a bad movie.

And honestly, I think Prometheus is way worse.

BishopWantsIt

Quote from: bobby brown on Dec 14, 2022, 03:28:53 PMAnd honestly, I think Prometheus is way worse.

Resurrection is better because it excels at what it was trying to achieve—and that's the problem.
Prometheus is worse because it fails at what it was trying to achieve—and that's a bigger problem.

Crazy Rich

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 20, 2022, 10:25:56 AM
Quote from: SiL on Nov 20, 2022, 10:02:53 AMAnd when you ask petite what they mean by "wokism" it basically boils down to "casting people who aren't straight white dudes"

inb4 Danny Glover or Carl Weathers gets posted.

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 28, 2022, 07:35:15 PMThey're both right.

THIS.

It's like neither party had ever seen an Alien movie before.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed