More Previously Unseen Concept Art For Blomkamp’s Alien 5!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 01, 2021, 05:53:22 AM

Author
More Previously Unseen Concept Art For Blomkamp’s Alien 5! (Read 69,967 times)

XENOMORPHOSIS

Was the Exoskeletal Form an Armoured suit or the result of a mutation? Its probably an Armoured suit. Sigourney described this as having a fitting end for Ripley, could either be her defeating the company Weyland Yutani living to see the victory, something to the effect she dies through a sacrifice and Newt takes over as protagonist. Many would argue Alien3 gave her a satisfyingly conclusion despite its mixed reputation amoung fans. Either the movie will happen or it won't we can take it or leave it.

skhellter

Geoffroy said on insta that it's a biomechanical suit (of course).

XENOMORPHOSIS

@skhellter

Ok, supposedly Blomkamp had to make an alteration to his script at Ridley Scott's request because it was supposedly to close to what he was doing for the Prometheus sequel which became Alien Covenant. What was this supposed element that was too similar? stuff to do with discovering a Derelict ship, the biomeachnicle space suits and functions Engineers have, or alternative mutations related to Aliens, ie. Neomorphs.

SiL

Probably anything to do with the Jockey/Engineers.

DaniilLogOut

Careful, AvPGalaxy, 'cause Disney might think you actually want this movie to happen  ;)

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Jun 14, 2021, 09:54:05 AM
@skhellter

Ok, supposedly Blomkamp had to make an alteration to his script at Ridley Scott's request because it was supposedly to close to what he was doing for the Prometheus sequel which became Alien Covenant. What was this supposed element that was too similar? stuff to do with discovering a Derelict ship, the biomeachnicle space suits and functions Engineers have, or alternative mutations related to Aliens, ie. Neomorphs.

put on your tinfoil hats:

the biggest change in "lore" that was decided between Prometheus and Covenant was Ridley pinning the creation of the aliens on David.

I have a feeling that Blomkamp's film was gonna reveal that LV426 was another waystation for the Engineers (like LV223).
1 - The ship on the Alien 5 concept art is mostly intact unlike the Derelict in the Aliens special edition
2 - The giant "cave" under the original Derelict was definitely an engineer structure.

So Blomkamp's original plan maybe was that WY would explore Acheron more and would inevitably find an entrance to underground facilities, including hangars with other ships containing deadly cargo.

Now, as soon as Ridley decided that David was the creator, Blomkamp couldn't use just any other Derelict ship with alien eggs on board because that was never a "cargo" that the Juggernauts ever had.
No, he'd probably have to reuse... the original Derelict, as damaged as it was post-Hadley's Hope destruction.

And maybe that was the thing that changed.

And maybe that was the thing that killed this movie.
Ridley probably wanted that storytelling real estate
(about the nature of LV426 and the original derelict) all for himself.

Kel G 426

There's plenty of (aggressively) negative feedback on the alien suit, and I'm not keen on it myself, but with all the other cool stuff we've seen, let's not get bogged down in one iffy idea.

If you had told me back in 1985 that Ripley would strap herself into a robot suit and fight a giant mother alien, I'd have rolled my eyes at that, too.

It turned out to be one of the best scenes in the series.

We've already seen biomech suits in Prometheus and an alien android in the comics. This concept is not at all out of place in the Alien universe.

The final design and execution of these scenes would've determined a hit or miss, not the initial art.

Overall, I'm confident I would've been happy with what this film had to offer.

skhellter

Covenant also had some pretty wild/funny bits of concept art.

Kane's other son

Kane's other son

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Jun 14, 2021, 09:54:05 AM
@skhellter

And maybe that was the thing that killed this movie.
Ridley probably wanted that storytelling real estate
(about the nature of LV426 and the original derelict) all for himself.

What killed Alien 5 was the law of diminishing returns in Blomkamp's output.

Fox pulled the plug around October 2015. Chappie crashed and burned in March 2015.

BigDaddyJohn

Probably a blend of both.

Kane's other son

Chappie was not only a flop but also near-universally reviled. Fox was not going to hand out 100+ million to its writer-director for a sequel to a 30 year-old movie. And judging from the live-action Kenner concept art, the treatment he delivered was not exactly stellar, sure-fire hit material.

Nightmare Asylum

Terminator: Dark Fate probably didn't help the idea of bringing back Ripley down the line, either. Even if Disney/20th Century Studios were going to entertain the idea of doing a "Ripley is back and Alien 3 didn't happen" story after acquiring Fox (be it Blomkamp's or Giler/Hill's), Dark Fate's performance was likely enough to steer off that track again.

I think the future of the Alien franchise most likely resides in stories with new characters isolated from one another. The Hawley show will have its core group. any potential future movie will do its own thing, etc.

As much as I long for one more David narrative...

skhellter

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: skhellter on Jun 14, 2021, 05:01:34 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQG2L5GDjPC/

Reminds me of this piece by Doug Williams, which was part of the first wave of material that Blomkamp shared way back when.

Funny enough, this originated as a piece of Prometheus fan art by Williams, which seems to have been "adopted" by Blomkamp for use in this film.

https://pleaselookatmeneillblomkamp.blogspot.com/2012/04/face-huggeruhsucker.html

skhellter

skhellter

yeah, that's the mutant form of the facehugger. A thing that burrows into you.

Pretty sure it's also the critter in this piece:

ADI mentioned having a few pieces built for Blomkamp, one of them might have been the Queen suit..
Their build of the "mutant drone" was pretty simple and decent (and a step up above the wilder alien designs for this), i'd say.

I would also add that i do like Chappie.
Elysium's the one Blomkamp film that i really disliked but that
monster was 100% the result of studio meddling and
micromanagement sucking the life out of the thing.

Chappie radiates freak energy from the first frame.
You spend a lot of time with the villains and bullies in that film and
Chappie's journey is upsetting and painful. No wonder it wasn't a big hit.
Say what you will but at least it's a film with proper stakes and themes
and it's unafraid to try out weirder ideas.

I'd rather have Blomkamp be the one directing an Alien movie than any of the MCU directors, tbh.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed