More Previously Unseen Concept Art For Blomkamp’s Alien 5!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 01, 2021, 05:53:22 AM

Author
More Previously Unseen Concept Art For Blomkamp’s Alien 5! (Read 70,916 times)

BigDaddyJohn

I'm very critical of Ridley's recent work and latest Alien installations, but I think we should give this a chance, not kill it before we see it.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jun 12, 2021, 10:42:04 PM
I'm very critical of Ridley's recent work and latest Alien installations, but I think we should give this a chance, not kill it before we see it.

Hear, hear!

Immortan Jonesy

When was the last time we saw a setting with a space elevator, a Weyland installation with a derelict, Ripley in an Alien outfit and maybe even Sharlto Copley playing a mercenary in an Alien movie? Apart from the xeno suits, it's not so bad. Each installment has a different vision of the Alien world anyway.  ;D

Nightmare Asylum

The vision of the world (sans Alien suits) is the stuff that genuinely interests me here, but like Elysium, where I was very into the world and the design but didn't care at all for the narrative, the main draw here of Ripley, Hicks, and Newt stopping WY experiments on Earth seems to just be uninspired and reductive. Bringing back Ripley - unless it is for something super weird with Ripley 8, I guess - just doesn't interest me all that much these days. And the Earth setting (both here, and in the upcoming Hawley show as well to be honest) gives me reservations. The actual design of the WY facility, space elevator, etc., however? Please, keep posting more art Geoffroy Thoorens, because I'm super into this stuff stylistically, even though I likely wouldn't have cared for the narrative accompanying it.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I liked the concept arts of the human environment as well. I think with a good scriptwriter something good could come out of that. Just forget about Ripley, Hicks, Newt and the xeno suits that trigger it in me a cringed feeling.

Edit l ~ I'm going to see Chappie one of these days.

Edit ll ~ I still want more from Scott, but I know it's a small camp.  :laugh:

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 13, 2021, 03:30:55 AM
I liked the concept arts of the human environment as well. I think that with a good scriptwriter something good could come out of that. Just forget about Ripley, Hicks, Newt and the xeno suits that trigger it in me a cringed feeling.

Edit l ~ I'm going to see Chappie one of these days.

Edit ll ~ I still want more from Scott, but I know it's a small camp.  :laugh:

Yeah, the Alien suits (plus the hybrids we saw in some concept art a year or two ago) push this thing firmly into Kenner/video game territory to me, unfortunately. As for Ripley/Hicks/Newt – I'm pretty sure Blomkamp was actually originally developing this as a standalone entry with new characters, but it shifted into a Ripley story after Blomkamp and Sigourney hit it off so well on Chappie. Maybe if it stayed Ripley-free it might have actually moved forward. Who knows?

As for Chappie, I personally really like it, but I feel like I would have a very hard time recommending it, as most people seem to completely detest it. It's up there with District 9 for me though. Maybe even above D9, to be honest. Though I haven't seen it in quite a few years.

As for Scott... you know I'm right there alongside you on that one. :D

skhellter

skhellter

more new stuff..

(attached the pics because insta seems broken atm)

SiL

f**k that suit is ridiculous.

skhellter

skhellter

i wonder what the nerdy "justification" was.
Was WY trying to interact with the derelict tech and they needed a biomechanical suit to really integrate with it...

It was probably just.. er...
"we think biomech-suit is cool/Militarization of the aliens/RANDOMBULLSHITGO!"

Immortan Jonesy

..looks like a halloween costume  :laugh:

Quote from: skhellter on Jun 13, 2021, 05:10:08 AM
i wonder what the nerdy "justification" was.
Was WY trying to interact with the derelict tech and they needed a biomechanical suit to really integrate with it...

It was probably just.. er...
"we think biomech-suit is cool/Militarization of the aliens/RANDOMBULLSHITGO!"

..in one of the first concept arts they to suggest a "connection" to the Space Jockey.  :laugh:

TomT

TomT

Quote from: SiL on Jun 12, 2021, 09:10:28 PM
The film was set on a space ladder on Earth.
Space ladder is pretty much space station in this case.

Quote from: SiL on Jun 12, 2021, 09:10:28 PM
Also how can you complain about what the TV may or may not do about continuity then praise a concept that literally rewrites several movies?
One has nothing to do with the other. I want to see a sequel to Cameron's film, it means it would be set in the continuity of the first two films. This TV show will most likely ignore all films.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 13, 2021, 03:30:55 AM
I still want more from Scott, but I know it's a small camp.  :laugh:

Is it that small really ? And it's a very influent one also.

SiL

Quote from: TomT on Jun 13, 2021, 09:12:57 AM
One has nothing to do with the other. I want to see a sequel to Cameron's film, it means it would be set in the continuity of the first two films. This TV show will most likely ignore all films.
Right, so hypocrisy. Ignoring continuity is a problem when it doesn't meet an arbitrary standard.

TomT

Quote from: SiL on Jun 13, 2021, 09:30:39 AM
Quote from: TomT on Jun 13, 2021, 09:12:57 AM
Right, so hypocrisy. Ignoring continuity is a problem when it doesn't meet an arbitrary standard.
Not in this case, the difference is obvious. It's ignoring ALL the films in the franchise against ignoring just 2 films with mixed/negative reception, but set it in the continuity of the first 2 films with great reception.

SiL

The difference is ignoring films you like vs films you don't seem to care for, yes.

Which, of course, isn't even necessarily the case -- we know nothing of what the series is doing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed